• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Slipface by Dr. PJ Jessup

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
A friend who has helped me a lot on my writing self-published the above referenced book. The following is the review I entered on Amazon:

In Slipface, Dr. Jessup transports the reader to a future where humans have conquered new planets and the ability to alter themselves genetically in order to live on those worlds. The story takes place on a desert planet where the inhabitants must live in domed cities to survive massive storms but have at least gained the power of flight out of the deal. The three main characters are Aya, a female celebrity admired by all until a tragic accident sheared off her wings; Stew, a man born with a deformity so severe it made him an outcast; and Peng, the computer AI with a personality who runs the ship.

Things start out rocky from the start for our intrepid heroes. Aya immediately takes a dislike to the deformed Stew, and he, in turn, is disenchanted by her abysmal behavior. Luckily, the computer decides to intervene. What follows is a light hearted tale of two people’s journey to find fulfillment.

Why you should buy the book: If you’re searching the $2.99 bin at Amazon, your first questions are probably — Is this book well written? Can the writer string two sentences together without boring me to tears? Is it full of typos and mistakes? I’ve only read one of Amanda Hocking’s series, but I’d say the quality of the writing compares favorably, and the book is put together in a professional manner.

The strength of the writing is Dr. Jessup’s ability to create deep characters in a rich, imaginative setting. If you’re looking for a light romance, I’d suggest giving it a look.

Why you shouldn’t buy the book: If you’re not a fan of the blend of science fiction and romance, this isn’t for you. Other than that, I found two minor negatives in the writing: I felt that the dialogue could have been edited down a bit at times to make it snappier and also that the author left a minor plot thread unresolved.

Additional comments not included on Amazon:

This book wasn't really my cup of tea, but the author is a friend. I tried to temper the positiveness of the review by comparing the writing to Amanda Hocking's. I figured that, if someone liked her stuff, they probably wouldn't be bothered by the imperfections that I caught.

Did I do the right thing? I'm not sure.