• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

So has anyone played Dishonored?

I'm waiting for a price drop myself, but what I've heard looks promising (if only because the setting's quite different from what I'm used to in fantasy.)

It's been hyped out the wazoo, but in case anyone hasn't heard of it yet: Dishonored - Trailer [HD] - YouTube (Warning: as violent as a non-restricted trailer for a major release could possibly be.)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I really want it myself. It looks pretty awesome and I like the idea of being able to play the whole game without killing anyone. I think that's an interesting way to vary the gameplay. The world and art design looks amazing and I love that they're going with a steampunk-ish concept instead of another medieval style deal. I'll probably wait for the price to drop as well. I just ordered Dragon's Dogma, so I'll burn some time with that and maybe get Dishonored used when the price goes down a bit more.

shangrila

Inkling
I pre-ordered it. It's a little short, roughly 9 chapters if I remember correctly, but that's honestly the only bad thing I can say about it. There hasn't been this much freedom in a game like this since the old Hitman games, the setting is amazing and the gameplay works well, which I'll admit I was hesitant about since it's a 1st person game that involves a lot of jumping and hiding.

I think my favourite part is that you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. Even your assassination targets can be dealt with in other ways, which is a really cool addition and adds to the replayability. So, in summary, go and buy it. Right. Freaking. Now!

Zenke

Scribe
Played it. Finished it. Loved it. I'm not that good at stealth games, although you have to option and ability to go all out and slaughter anyone who stands in your way, so it got a little frustrating when i got caught repeatedly. I finished with high chaos despite trying to spare as many lives as possible. I want to play again and try get through it without being seen or killing anyone, which would be easier if there was some kind of stun baton or blunt object to hit people with. There are other ways of course but stun batons would be fun. :D

FireBird

Troubadour
I finished the game today, and I'm not sure how much I liked it. I loved the stealth combat and the sheer amount of choice you have in how you go about in the game. The actual combat is ok, but it mostly consisted of me using slow time and slaughtering everyone in sight. This was on hard too. The powers were a nice addition to the game, but a few really outshine the others. (Dark Vision and Blink)

The music is just ok, not great or terrible. The sound effects were nice though, really added a lot of tension when you are sneaking around.

As for the plot...I hated it. It is incredibly predictable and feels like it's barely there. They literally went all out for the voice cast, and they barely did anything with them. The only standout characters to me were Granny Rags and Daud, and both have maybe five to ten minutes of time in the game. I didn't play this game for the story, but still, they could have done better.

Overall, it was a good game though. Like Zenke, I'm going to play one more time on Very Hard with no detections or kills.