1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

So... How does this work?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by OberonLordofSylva, Mar 21, 2020.

1. OberonLordofSylva

OberonLordofSylva Minstrel

I only just finished chapter 1 but I like to plan ahead. So I have to ask, how does publishing work exactly? Like, what's the procedure? I'm being completely serious and I'd like answers for both independent and house publishing. Thanks a bunch!

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Traditional pubishing to big houses: get an agent. You do this by sending out letters to agents. There are plenty of articles on the web about this path.
    Traditional publishing to small houses: with some you need an agent but with some you can submit your manuscript directly. But it has to be a completed work and as polished as you can make it.

Independent publishing is more complicated. Publishing in itself is simple: write it, format it, upload it, click publish. The options and nuances, though, are legion. Again, do some research; a resource that is excellent for one newbie writer will be a poor choice for another. You just have to slog through and make your own choices. The real kicker for indies is marketing. Getting published is one thing, getting noticed is quite another, and getting sales from those who notice is even harder. As many books and articles there are about writing, there are more about getting published, and still more about marketing. I've been reading such resources for years (but I've also self-pubbed four books; don't let learning the ropes keep you from climbing!).

Have fun!

3. OberonLordofSylva

OberonLordofSylva Minstrel

Thank you very much!