• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

So I went and googled "active prose"

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
As the thread title says. I did this as active and passive writing are concepts I keep coming across here and I figured I'd just have a look around to see what I could find out there on the big bad intarwebs.

This is the first link I found: Basic Prose Style and Mechanics
It turns out to be some kind of basic guide to writing. It may very well be that it's intended for more scientific writing, but after reading through it I feel it gives some sound advice.
It lists examples of things to do and not to do and it also - and I think this is important - gives examples of situations where it's better to break the rules than to follow them.

If you, like me, still feel like you're starting out this may help clarify some things for you.

Wow. I didn't even know what nominalizations were, but it looks like I use them all the time (typically in the form "[X] has a certain [nominalization] to it.") Then again, I've never gotten a complaint about them.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
If it works, it works.
I guess that's just one more reason to emphasise that these "rules" are more like guidelines or theories than actual truths about how to write.

Lawfire

Sage
Interesting. I know a number of people who went to Michigan Technological University. I wonder if any of them had Professor Waddell.