1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Social Media's Influence on the Novel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneL, Apr 15, 2014.

1. AnneL

AnneL Closed Account

2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Auror

The article takes the proposition that social media has changed people. I think it's just reduced borders--you can have interactions with folks in Nepal that you can also have with folks face-to-face. There is some value in writing about those interactions, as there has always been, but I don't think it's a big enough change to necessitate a new language or a new kind of story. (Gossip, falsehood, and backstabbing have always been a part of human interaction.)

3. Scribble

Scribble Archmage

I buy the proposition that social media has changed us, but in many ways that aren't yet apparent. If something changes in the environment, people change because of it, I think it is unavoidable. The trick is that we're all fish in the fishtank, it isn't easy to sit outside and look in.

One obvious example - political correctness. Social media bubbles criticism of people's work right to the top. Today's writer is acutely aware of what people will perceive as offensive. That changes our self-consciousness, it changes how we go about writing, what words we put on the page.

Writers in the past did not have to face the same near-global criticism of their work. We get a sense that the whole world is watching... and judging. That produces different fiction. I think it produces different characters. I'm not saying it is good or bad, or any such thing, but I don't think we can toss it out.