Something is still missing

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Mel Syreth, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mel Syreth

Mel Syreth Apprentice

[​IMG]
    New novel, new cover!
    I do not fancy it as much as my first one's, though. So far whomever I asked about it all seemed to like it but the simplicity of the symbol in the middle and the ornate corner designs still throw me off. Like it needs more detail to it. Is it just me?

TheCrystallineEntity likes this.
  2. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks Grandmaster

Perhaps it's as simple as changing the colour scheme. Or maybe have something in the distant background such as a city, forest or characters.

3. Night Gardener

Night Gardener Mystagogue

Try a fancy ornate ring/ circular frame around the center symbol. Nothing too big, just enough to tie in with the corner motifs. That way, it's not too jarring and it makes the simplicity of the symbol seem deliberate and important, like an illuminated manuscript highlighting a calligraphic text character.

Dover publishers has great royalty-free clip art for purchase, sometimes for free. You should be able to edit it in with your existing file pretty easily.

Also, work on the tracking, size and centering of the top line of text. Too me, it's crowded enough to be almost illegible. Might need to simplify the font, or at least the boldness. I think it reads "Tales from the"... "Enchanted Sector"?

My two cents, spend them however you wish ;)

4. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Mystagogue

I would be inclined to make the symbol smaller and the type larger and more prominent. Move the author name up some and the subtitle down, tying it all together more, creating more of a central focus. It looks a bit disjointed as-is, like the elements are just sort of floating there.

5. Ban

Ban Staff Article Team

Looks good to me. You could impose a more ornate pattern on the logo, and I'd make your name larger, but as it is the cover is already publishable.