• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sort of happy story

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
A couple hours ago, a gal in her late 20's comes up to my house in tears. She explained that her dogs chain had gotten caught up in the tire of her vehicle when backing up, that she'd run over the dog, snapping the collar. Dog ran off in great pain and she'd been out looking for her.

I told her I had not seen the dog, and didn't really know which dog she was talking about. I do not know the young lady, and there are a lot of dogs in my neighborhood.

A half hour or so later, as part of my futile exercise program, I climbed onto my bicycle. Usual practice is to do three laps of the neighborhood (residential streets), about 1.5 miles (2 kilometers, more or less) per lap. Partway into the first lap, a guy I know by sight asks me to stop. I do so, and he shows me a dog I recognized...sort of. One whose home is on another part of my circle, and chases me from time to time. I told the fellow where I thought the dog's home was, but didn't make the rather obvious connection until my second lap when I spotted the young lady from before outside that residence.

We exchanged a few words. I had the young lady follow me to where I'd seen the dog...and yes, it was hers. Limping on the one front paw, but otherwise in good shape.

Oh...a side note for the Sidekick - my bicycle route takes me right past a 25 foot cabin cruiser on a trailer...named the 'Huntress.'

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hey!!!:)
We all need and can be better neighbours. I think the people around you just stepped up.
And it also sound like the set up for a RomCom... just trying to think like a writer.
[and on a side note... I don't think any exercise is futile... Hard, yes... but not futile - unless you are eating cake or smoking as you cycle...]

MineOwnKing

Maester
Ooo,

a 25ft cabin cruiser...nice!

I love boats, best part of your story.

Nothing where I live but endless corn fields.

Huntress is a good name for a boat too.

Must be prime time for Chinooks. What's that boat doing out of the water?

I have to wait until October to do my Salmon fishing.

I don't have to worry about any bears though.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
That's awesome, Thinker. Glad you were able to help the lady find her dog. And you're also reminding me that I have no excuses if I don't have a summer bike routine...!

Tell that cabin you're The Hunter. Er... of Lost Dogs.