• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sound Effects

Addison

Auror
This isn't a problem in graphic novels, as you have jagged blocks where you can print "zong" "zap" or just write in the panel, "boing" "bonk" "thud" etc.

But if you use those words, as I've learned in class, it can clutter the writing. But what about sounds you can't describe with little words like that? Like...the sound kids make when they strum their fingers over their lips. Or just one finger over their lips? True it could be described like a low-throttle boat engine or something. But some of those descriptions don't send the right picture or confuse the reader.

So if you've had any of these problems and/or know the remedies, feel free to post. Lots of space.

Thanks!

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I've seen the finger-strummed-over-lips sound effect in a couple of Garfield comic strips, where it's written as "blblblblblbl" or "b-b-b-b-b-b". I don't suppose the sound of someone blowing a raspberry is quite the same thing.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've read fantasy novels where the author uses the word itself to impart a sound. Generally, it is italicized. So long as you don't overdo it, I don't think it will clutter the writing. When it comes to using it sparingly, it's just a stylistic choice as to whether or not you want to do so.

Addison

Auror
Hmmm, let's make this like a writing exercise/word game. A person writes a situation with a sound effect and the next person writes what/how they'd write the effect in a story. Then they post another sound effect for someone else to write.

For example:

The sounds of rowdy children running down for doughnuts.

"He held the wall to stabilize himself as the heard of elephants stampeded down the stairs."

See?

So the starting sound effect:

The sound of a totally zonked out teenager fast asleep on the sofa with their head hanging over the arm or cushion.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
"Snorking prone was actually outlawed in several states. To her goof fortunate, no one had informed Zane. Sarah readied her loaded spirit gun..."

"Legend said a 2 liter of pop, one ingested in one gulp, would make a belch of epic proportions. Justin, surrounded by his friends who wore looks both admiring and skeptical, would witness history... or his eminent demise. He cracked the top with a showman's flare..."

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
"Snorking prone was actually outlawed in several states. To her goof fortunate, no one had informed Zane. Sarah readied her loaded spirit gun..."

"Legend said a 2 liter of pop, one ingested in one gulp, would make a belch of epic proportions. Justin, surrounded by his friends who wore looks both admiring and skeptical, would witness history... or his eminent demise. He cracked the top with a showman's flare..."

Sorry, double tapped...

At first, we thought we could contain the fire...