• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Splatter-Elf the RPG

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I posted this blog entry about splatter-elf, the semi-joke sub-genre I made up that's even darker and grimmer than grimdark. Philip Overby's Fantasy Free-for-All: G: Grimdark vs. Splatter-elf (PG-13 Adult Content)

In response, C.D. Gallant-King took up the challenge and decided to start developing an RPG based on my sub-genre ideas. It's pretty cool to see this take shape and I hope more people attempt splatter-elf. It could be a cool sub-genre because you basically don't have to give a sh*t to write in it. :D

Anyway, check out his first blog post on the RPG here. Splatter-Elf Week Day 1: Introduction to Splatter-Elf ~ Rule of the DiceMore to come!

I also had another Google+ friend say he's working on a splatter-elf short story himself.

I am the father of a pseudo-real sub-genre. Weird!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm going to be working with the developer as a consultant or something, so I'll be helping develop the game as well. Should be fun!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
For those interested further in seeing how this game is developing (based off my ideas, but so far being created independently by C.D. Gallant-King), you can check out this post about character creation. http://www.ruleofthedice.com/2014/04/splatter-elf-week-day-2-character.html

Mr. Gallant-King has really ran with this idea and I plan to supplement it with a collection of short stories down the line (probably the first thing I'll ever put up on Amazon, gasp!) but I'll most likely look for other writers interested in contributing to the genre instead of writing a collection solely by myself. I'll see how things turn out. I already have several people who have contacted me about wanting to contribute stories to something like this, so it'll be cool to see it grow! :D

Last edited:
Hey neat - I'm discovering people talking about me and my work completely independently and without my knowledge (Hopefully they will always be so positive and polite about it!)

I've actually had more people approach me about the game, asking for further info so they could try to play it themselves. You may have started something here, Mr. Overby...

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
That's awesome! I'd love to do an extended chat about the game some time. I literally "loled" when I read your first run-through of the game. I'm working on a sort of novel (not sure what it'll become, but I'm writing it in a very small notebook just when I have time on the train or something), and it's been fun so far. Got some other things brewing as well. Hope to see/hear/talk more about the game!