• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

SPOILERS: Red Wedding Freak Out

MFreako

Troubadour
They did a great job with that one. Having read the books, I knew what was coming, and still it was gut-wrenching to watch.

Mindfire

Istar
I knew about it thanks to the internet. When it happened I just kinda rolled my eyes and sighed. I don't really care what happens in the West anymore. There is no hope or justice in Westeros. Team Dany all the way. Hopefully she won't be ingloriously murdered before she makes it across the sea.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I knew about it thanks to the internet. When it happened I just kinda rolled my eyes and sighed. I don't really care what happens in the West anymore. There is no hope or justice in Westeros. Team Dany all the way. Hopefully she won't be ingloriously murdered before she makes it across the sea.

Here's a spin that might make you reconsider. I haven't seen the TV show yet, but I've finished the first three books. This is what I think Martin is doing. From history the good guys aren't as good as we think and the bad guys aren't as evil.

Knowing that, if you look at the "good" guys from ASOIF, their great flaw is that they're naive. They think goodness and honor will shield them against evil. Ideals are great and all but pragmatism has to play into it too, which this event shows there wasn't enough of from the "good" guys.

As for the "bad" guys, they've kind of won. Now what? They have a realm to run, winter is coming and so are The Others. I think this is where Martin will try to redeem some of the "bad" guys. I think this is headed towards a call to heroism from all and some will answer and some won't. You'll cheer the ones that rise and despise or feel pity for those who don't.

That's my guess any way.

Mindfire

Istar
Or we could laugh as they all finally get what's coming to them. Say what you like about the Others, but they don't discriminate. Winter comes to the just and the unjust alike. Martin on the other hand seems to have it in for solely the decent people. The despicable types get off scot free with him.

Last edited:

Ophiucha

Auror

Excessive cursing warning, which is to be expected. I wasn't super attached to any of the characters, so I'm not really upset, but I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of future potential for a couple of the little lambs, but oh well, it was cool. Loved when the Rains of Castamere started playing - that was such an 'oh balls' moment, man, well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

teacup

Auror
This is all hilarious.
Not the red wedding, the reactions.
Red wedding was brilliant. Seeing it there with all the emotion and Tulisa (or whatever her name was) getting stabbed loads. With Rains of Castamere too, it was just amazing.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@Ophiucha,

1:34 - I am disappoint. Beard Guy was perfectly set up for a spit take, but nooooo, he had to hang out with the calm crowd. What was he drinking, Mellow Yellow?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I actually haven't read the books. I tried, but they're a bit too grim and grisly for my taste. The show tones it down a bit, so I watch.

I don't know . . . . it sounds like the show gave the Red Wedding two extra casualties over the book.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've read all of the books so far and I think Mindfire is partially right. The books are far more grim than the TV show in my opinion. Simply because what I imagine in my mind's eye is almost always worse than the visuals I get from a movie or TV show. I haven't seen this episode yet, but I imagined the Red Wedding from the books to be an absolute bloodbath. Not sure how it comes across on TV. But the TV show throws curve balls every so often. I'm surprised there isn't more outcry about "taking liberties" with the books. Since Martin is a consultant on the show, I guess he approves all those sort of things.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
LOL, I just watched the video. You know all those who captured the video were the ones who read the book. I should have recorded my wife's reaction. Priceless!

PS: That lady at 2:10 sums up the collective reaction.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Again, people, this is just the FIRST Wedding. Next one should be towards the middle of Season 4. Reaction might be a bit different.

Mindfire

Istar
I'm hoping they'll move Joffrey's wedding up to the next episode/season 3 finale. It would be great to get some payback to balance out all the tragedy.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
To me it seems like that would be too soon. I'd say save that for next season since we know there's a season 4. I wouldn't mind terribly if they moved it up though.

The season finale will probably have more to do with wrapping up other story lines I guess.