• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Started my novel...again...here for more inspiration!

I have started my novel. Again. I think this makes the 5th attempt in roughly 10-15 (gosh 20?) years. Vastly different story line than the first few editions. I started writing when I my view of fantasy was fairly limited in scope. After a few 100 fantasy books later...I'm hopefully using a different system of magic than has been done before. (doubtful, but keep it loosely defined) Its presence is important, but its use is muted, if that makes any sense. (not as muted as ASOIAF, maybe less or on par with AWOT, for popular reference)

I think I may even have a semi original plot! Way better than my first drafts so many years ago. I'm not exactly sure what sub genre it would fit in. Certainly some amoral protags, conflicted antags, very dark and dreadful and full of death and despair. No hero farmboys, or young maidens in distress. I'm still figuring out if there is going to be a "dark lord" or not, or if I'll just keep it with "dark sub-lords". I honestly dont think I have the chops for "epic fantasy" with all its prophecy and poetry and the like. Can I realistically create 100 POV characters like Martin? Doubtful. I think I'll try to keep it under a dozen. I am just trying to figure out the main antag and make sure he is "dark lord-y" enough but not Sauron or "the dark one"...I think "he who shall not be named has been played out enough as well...anyway...

Today, I finished rough drafted a 2,500 word prologue. I'm concerned there may have been too much telling and not enough showing, but I always find that difficult when "summing up" the previous several months of adventures. The prologue is set roughly 100 years in the past (of my chapters) and sums up the previous 4 months of that timeline, and in those 2500 words I pretty much kill off the establish magic system with a plague. Here goes nothing!

Glad to be among like minds!

Chinook

Lorna

Inkling
Hi Chinook,
Good to know you've got back to your writing. It's awful having ideas hanging around limbo and not bringing them into being. When you're ready you could post it on the showcase. Sharing my work with others here has helped me. :)

LOCOFOOL

Minstrel
I agree with Lorna it is torture having ideas float around for so long without getting them down.
I hope all goes well!