• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Story Hospital - Heal your relationship with your writing

Nimue

Auror
I came across this write-in advice blog that gives gentle, open-ended, positive responses to a lot of psychological or process-related writer problems. I’ve only read a handful of posts so far but it really resonated with me, as somebody who has built up a lot of mental blocks around writing. Not sure how much of the advice I’d use directly, but as a nice calm voice against the internal harpies shrieking that everything is impossible and unfixable...I can recommend it! Seems to run the gamut of beginner/amateur/hobbyist/professional questions, and the person running it has a professional editing background.

Story Hospital

Nimue

Auror
Ah, shoot, I posted it in the wrong place, though—could somebody move this to Writing Resources? This is what I get for trying to do things on my phone...

Nimue

Auror
Yes! She seems to be an all-around good resource. Having read deeper into the blog, I think what I like most about the format as opposed to some generalized writing advice is that being directed at someone's personal experience allows it to be specific without being prescriptive at everyone--and you can still take away the things that are applicable to you. And it's advice that stays sensitive and humanizing to the writer as a person, rather than the writer as a words-and-ideas machine. I'd sure like to be a writing machine one day, but right now I have a lot of hitches to work through...

(Also, thank you Sheila!)

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Becoming a writing machine takes time and dedication. We can only start (and continue) where we are at any given point in our lives. But yes, I agree that her responses to specific questions seem more helpful than general advice. I've read through a good deal of her blog posts already and am really enjoying them.