• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Story Structure/Arc

Varasneba

Dreamer
I continually find myself in the predicament of trying to create a story that is too big for my own attention span and devolves into me not being able to complete a project. Recently I brought up a number of story arc images to better help me connect my ideas to what the big picture should look like. But I also heard that the original concept should be created first, and not the other way around.

Have you worked with any formula/arc tool to start your story? Which tools have you found most helpful?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
First, it doesn't matter what comes first as long as you're comfortable with the way you work.

Second, I use several structures to break down my stories. I use the three act structure to organize the big picture and use Dan Well's 7 point story stucture to organize all my plots and subplots.

Here's a link to my post an act structure http://mythicscribes.com/forums/writing-questions/3883-plot-problems.html#post48679

And here's a links to youtub videos of Dan Wells showing people how he uses the 7 point story stucture.
Part 1 Dan Wells on Story Structure, part 1 of 5 - YouTube
Part 2 Dan Wells on Story Structure, part 2 of 5 - YouTube
Part 3 Dan Wells on Story Structure, part 3 of 5 - YouTube
Part 4 Dan Wells on Story Structure, part 4 of 5 - YouTube
Part 5 Dan Wells on Story Structure, part 5 of 5 - YouTube

Hope this helps.

Trick

Auror
The 7 point story structure is a godsend! It has taken me from drudging through details one at a time to flying through chapter after chapter like I've grown outline wings!