1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Storytelling

Discussion in 'Archipelago Archive' started by InsanityStrickenWriter, Nov 19, 2011.

1. So, the world-building is here, where are the stories? I think an interesting idea would be to have a subforum within a subforum, purely for stories set in Mythic Archipelago. Posting the stories outside the Mythic Arch subforum, (or, rather, on other sites), would require credit to be given to the world-building efforts here, and perhaps the permission of the editors whose islands featured in the tale. The Mythic Arch Storytelling subforum would probably have to be private, (as is the Showcase).

In future, it may be interesting to draw up a grand, story plot, featuring all of the islands in the world and involving them in a collection of short-stories all intertwined and related with eachother. (Everyone getting the chance to participate by writing in one of the short-stories). Obivously that would have to wait for things to be fully fleshed out first and for activity to pick up, (myself included, I joined the site, made about 14 posts, and then vanished :D ).

2. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

I don't think we should have a sub-forum here for the stories, rather they should be posted in the Showcase. They should however have a note in the thread title saying it is a Mythic Archipelago story. I don't think it would be necessary to ask permission just to base something on an island because the islands and basics are essentially shared between all the members. If you want to use a character that a member has specifically said is "theirs" then you would have to ask permission.

I do think it would be cool to have a over-arching plot but I don't think that is anything that has to be planned. The stories themselves while based on per-existing world-building contribute to that same stock of world-building. Let's say I write a story about an Enessian in Kilvikasa, and then Ravana writes one taking place around the same time. He could mention his character seeing mine. Basically we could all allude to others, where appropriate.

Once stories do start getting written it would probably make sense for us to have a stickied index of the stories.

As for waiting for things to be "fully fleshed out." hopefully that never happens:D

3. Telcontar

Telcontar Staff Moderator

I do kind of like the idea of a subforum, but perhaps have it IN the showcase, as Brainstorming is? It wouldn't be a bad thing to keep the Archipelago's stories together, but we can let the Showcase serve its purpose as well.

4. I like the idea of a stickied index- but what about Telcon's suggestion of an Archipelago subforum within the showcase? I think it's a good idea :)

Would be a fun way to compose a grand plot... but would it actually come together properly without any planning? I mean, if we're all going to be writing about kettles and dishwashers that don't threaten world peril then it's fine, but once anyone wants to do something more grand wouldn't they need to have planning permission? Otherwise they'd cause inconsistancies with what they say is going on elsewhere and what other people say is going on elsewhere.

I think a degree of coordination at least needs to be had. Though you never said there shouldn't be any of that, I've just lumped that in with planning for some reason or other. :) At some point it'd probably be useful to have a Grand Plot Discussion thread. Maybe sooner than later- to encourage activity and development.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. Telcontar

Telcontar Staff Moderator

There can certainly be story sequences with an overarching plot, but I don't think having one to drive the entire world is a good idea. This place is huge - there can be multiple 'big' plots going on at any given time.

6. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

The problem with sub-forums is that they tend to get less traffic than the forum proper. And since the goal is for this all to be an exercise getting feedback is important. If the stories are in the main Showcase then it is more likely you will get feedback by those not participating in the World-building itself.

As for the Meta-plot, as I am know going to call it because it sounds cool, I think it misinterpreted you originally. I wasn't thinking of a world shaking occurrence. For that I would agree it would take some collaboration.

Edit: I agree with Telcontar, "Big Plots" are good but there shouldn't be just one...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011