• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Streamlining Characters

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I just watched Mockingjay 2 last night, and so today I started the book again. I hadn't read the book in years and had forgotten a lot of the story.

One thing has popped out at me right away that I much prefer from the film version to the book version: They streamlined the characters.

Effie Trinket is able to pull off the roles of Fluvia and Octavia combined in the film. They have no need for the other two characters. I'm reading the book thinking "What was even the purpose of having these two characters? They are basically indistinguishable." The role of Effie is deepened in the film version when they create a romance/subplot with Haymitch… also something not really done in the book.

I guess I really like when a story sticks to a few characters and does them really well, vs. a huge cast of characters that are sort of unnecessary or could easily be combined into one role.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having so many characters that contribute just a small part to the overall plot seems like wasted space that could be used for fleshing out more important characters. There may be tons of nobles of all different ranks in my story but I'd prefer to focus on the ones that are actually going to contribute something vital to the plot. I don't want to spend time talking about every little detail about each noble house. If I was that keen on getting all that information to the readers I'd just create a separate book.

If the decision to go to war is on the table then I want to focus on who the biggest supporter is of going to war, who will oppose it, who might change sides, etc.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Exactly! I get they have to do it for budget purposes in movies, but I find that sometimes it really works better.

By the way, congrats on becoming grandmaster! We have both graduated!