• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Studio Ghibli announces closure

Nihal

Vala
Studio Ghibli will shut down its animation studio this year.

Their General Manager, Toshio Suzuki, is reported to have confirmed the news earlier today on a Japanese news-talk show. According to him, the company will transition to focus on licensing and merchandising characters and trademarks from its various classic films, while maintaining a small staff for "Miyazaki projects," though without an animation studio it is unclear what such projects would entail.

(One of various) source: BREAKING: Studio Ghibli is Shutting Down | The Escapist

Do you think it's for real this time? It's a bit different than previous rumors/announcements, that usually concerned Miyazaki only.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I think it is and that it was always going to happen. They've just taken the smart way out...
Hayao Miyazaki always said his last film The Wind Rises was going to be his last film and then he was retiring and without him there isn't much of Studio Ghibli.
I think they've bowed to the inevitable "not as good as they used to be" comparisons that would have come with any post-Miyazaki film and decided to stop when they have a great catalogue for films [I'm not a big fan but they are well thought of critically and commercially].
My bet is that they will no doubt start again with a new name/studio in a few months. Clear of Miyazaki legacy/shadow [depending on your point of view] they may will change styles and methodology too... a fully rendered 3D Miyazaki style story... that could be stunning.