• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Stupid Song Stuck in My Head!

Addison

Auror
I have a song stuck in my head. At first I liked it, and I still like a few small parts. But it's gotten to the point where I find myself singing it softly pretty much any time I'm not talking to anyone. Which is very often. Most people I know suggest listening to another song to drown out the one that's driving me nuts. In my experience that is counterproductive as the new song would smother the current one but then I would have the new song driving me nuts.

I'm not about to go to a bottle for help, so any other suggestions or methods that work are very much appreciated.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Listen to the actual real version of the song, not the one you're humming along to. You'll get a reminder of what it actually sounds like, which may very well be slightly different from what you're humming. That way, whenever you start humming it again you'll stumble on it and think, "no wait, that's not how it goes", breaking the flow of the tune and stopping the humming.

Note: doesn't work all the time.

GeekDavid

Auror
If Svrt's suggestion doesn't work, try listening to a different song, over and over if necessary. Sometimes -- not always -- it pushes out the song already in your head.

Addison

Auror
Svrt's didn't work and neither did yours David, sorry. I've tried that several times with other songs but the songs just changed places. The only thing muffling the songs is listening to movies as I type or even reading a book aloud. Haven't done that in a while, it's fun. :D