• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Superhero powers

Medic Man

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I need help with the superhero-type novel.

My main character has healing powers, but has no offensive abilities... I was hoping that you guys can help me figure out some for him?

Loupgarou

Dreamer
He could simply be great at hand-to-hand, sometimes handling yourself without powers is even cooler than with them. Also, being a healer, does he perhaps work on a team? Maybe he's not much of a fighter at all. That doesn't mean he doesn't get into them, it just means he won't always have the upper hand, might need to call for aid.
Some of the most bad-ass fictional characters spend most of their time getting beaten up (Indiana Jones comes to mind). What matters is that they stick it out and come out on top eventually. I just finished reading a batman comic that had a fight that was basically just him taking a beating and getting thrown around as the villain monologued for pages and pages, but of course he managed to slip a little explosive onto the villain's back during, and got the upper hand after detonating it.

Lastly, if he needs to have offensive powers there are definitely ways to take that sort of thing and make it offensive. It could be situational; healing the Undead back to death. Maybe, gruesomely, he can 'overheal' opponents, make their flesh grow till they pop, or make a tumor in their brain. Yea, that's disgusting, but it works.
He could also drain people, just the opposite of his usual shtick. Maybe he also has a shield power? If so, look up Sue Storm of the Fantastic 4, in recent comics she's almost too powerful from her ability to make them anywhere, including in opponents, plus she can push things with them and treat them like projectiles.

Basically just be creative. Maybe he's more a general life-powers guy? Then maybe he can make plants, vines and fight with those.
I'm still partial to the idea of him being on a team where the others do most of the fighting. Having to run through a super-powered battlefield to get to a fallen comrade could be written just as riveting as a fight.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I need help with the superhero-type novel.

My main character has healing powers, but has no offensive abilities... I was hoping that you guys can help me figure out some for him?

Maybe he can do the reverse as well. When he heals someone, the energy has to come from somewhere. Usually, he uses his own and gets tired from that. But he also has the ability to take energy from people to use as his own. Therefore, his powers aren't so much the healing part as it is his ability to use the energy, or "life-force" of others. It's just a suggestion.

I would submit that, if you work out enough of the other elements of your story, this question will almost answer itself. In other words, if you start with the power set, then you limit the types of problems that the hero can solve. If you start with the problems (meaning conflict, characters, and plot), then you can give the hero the tools to solve them.

I'd also make those powers unreliable or give the hero some kind of weakness (think kryptonite). That adds another type of conflict to your story.

Medic Man

He could simply be great at hand-to-hand, sometimes handling yourself without powers is even cooler than with them. Also, being a healer, does he perhaps work on a team? Maybe he's not much of a fighter at all. That doesn't mean he doesn't get into them, it just means he won't always have the upper hand, might need to call for aid.
Some of the most bad-ass fictional characters spend most of their time getting beaten up (Indiana Jones comes to mind). What matters is that they stick it out and come out on top eventually. I just finished reading a batman comic that had a fight that was basically just him taking a beating and getting thrown around as the villain monologued for pages and pages, but of course he managed to slip a little explosive onto the villain's back during, and got the upper hand after detonating it.

Lastly, if he needs to have offensive powers there are definitely ways to take that sort of thing and make it offensive. It could be situational; healing the Undead back to death. Maybe, gruesomely, he can 'overheal' opponents, make their flesh grow till they pop, or make a tumor in their brain. Yea, that's disgusting, but it works.
He could also drain people, just the opposite of his usual shtick. Maybe he also has a shield power? If so, look up Sue Storm of the Fantastic 4, in recent comics she's almost too powerful from her ability to make them anywhere, including in opponents, plus she can push things with them and treat them like projectiles.

Basically just be creative. Maybe he's more a general life-powers guy? Then maybe he can make plants, vines and fight with those.
I'm still partial to the idea of him being on a team where the others do most of the fighting. Having to run through a super-powered battlefield to get to a fallen comrade could be written just as riveting as a fight.

Hmmm... Yeah that might work. Maybe after getting his ass kicked so much, he could learn how to defend himself by taking on some martial arts. I think I might give him a sidekick and maybe later in other novels he could join up with some superheroes. As for an offensive power, I was thinking that a dark side to him can awaken (every hero has a dark side right?) and reduce his foe's lifespan while adding it on to his own. Because I was thinking of adding a side effect to his healing powers, like for each time he uses them, he shortens his own lifespan...so yeah he'll be at conflict with himself over this dark power.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe he can do the reverse as well. When he heals someone, the energy has to come from somewhere. Usually, he uses his own and gets tired from that. But he also has the ability to take energy from people to use as his own. Therefore, his powers aren't so much the healing part as it is his ability to use the energy, or "life-force" of others. It's just a suggestion.

Hmmm... might think on that. Thanks for your help.

I would submit that, if you work out enough of the other elements of your story, this question will almost answer itself. In other words, if you start with the power set, then you limit the types of problems that the hero can solve. If you start with the problems (meaning conflict, characters, and plot), then you can give the hero the tools to solve them.

I'd also make those powers unreliable or give the hero some kind of weakness (think kryptonite). That adds another type of conflict to your story.

I think the side effect of healing someone could count as a weakness for him because he's shortening his own life span. Thanks for your help.