• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Symbolism: Are You Aware?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Greetings Folks,

I've been considering my cast of characters and started wondering about symbolism. Meaning, do you actively create a character that symbolizes an idea? Here is a list that I've noticed:

Rand Type: Rand from the Wheel of Time series is the stereotypical peasant that discovers he is the most powerful man in the world. Rand type characters symbolize the insignificance of an individual's ability to cope with the world at large until he he endowed with extreme power. I've often wondered how people react to such characters. Do they feel insignificant as well? Do they cope with life until that one blessed day they are endowed with the power to do what they wish? Think of the sudden boon of the lottery.

Croaker Type: Croaker from the Black Company series is an ordinary man that endures the weathering of life. He doesn't have any powers. He is an average soldier but an intelligent tactician (derives from his role as annalist). Croaker characters represent the average Joe who finds strength within. He is you, me, and everyone you've ever met. Croaker characters that die tend to have the most impact on the reader (me). We feel their loss because their loss is ours. Another fine example of a Croaker character is Coltaine from the Malazan series.

The Other: These characters are typically found in the current wave of Vampire and Werewolf fiction. They are perceived as us but are not. They have a darker, considered unattractive, side that is not accepted by society. These characters represent the youth (I can't believe I am old enough to use that word). They often feel rejected, although they look just like the adults that reject them. These characters usually find acceptance at the end, something that all teenagers desire.

Conan Type: Similar to the Rand Type, Conan cannot die. He power resides in his brute strength and ruthlessness. Necromancers, sorcerers, deities, they all die once their flesh kisses his steel. The Conan type is a character of true fantasy. He does what cannot be done. He is rage manifested in flesh that destroys all the symbols of oppression. They are the rebel. They are any one of us who have resisted an institution or oppressive individual of power.

These are the four that I can think of off the top of my head. The question is, do you recognize any of these types in your cast of characters? Do you agree with their description? Were you aware of the symbolism of your character when you started writing your story?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think symbolism is tied into relatability. Readers want to relate with the main characters in stories somehow. If the character is an unstoppable powerhouse (Conan) then perhaps the reader wishes they can be put in his place, traveling to exotic lands and fighting all manner of creatures. If the characters is a regular guy in an extraordinary situation, then the writer's goal seems to be to put the reader in the "driver's seat." What would "you" do if you were put in these situations?

Typically, I don't think symbolism is something most writers throughout time have intentionally done. They just try to paint relatable characters in hopes that the reader will connect with them somehow.

I think a natural trope in fantasy writing is to watch as your hero grows in someway. How through hardship and adventure they learn new things and become stronger, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. I think the popularity of Harry Potter hinges a lot on how Harry went from a boy unknowing of his powers to one of the strongest wizards ever. The readers knew where the books were going, they just wanted to see how he would get there. The ultimate showdown Harry vs. Voldemort. The young boy grown into a powerful wizard (much like your Rand comparison in a way).

I tend to enjoy relatively weird characters in my stories in an attempt to have them connect with weird readers. Or at least fantasy readers who want something a little off kilter (such as China Mieville). I'm not aware of any latent symbolism, other than to show that usually the weird ones who think outside the box in life tend to be most successful at whatever they do.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
It's a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I start with archetypes and work from there. Other times characters move into those roles. I'm willing to be proved wrong but I'd say all characters fit into an archetype, sometimes two or more. The difference is just in the labels. The brain, the brawn, the farm boy, the Everyman, the mentor, the outsider, etc.