• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tarot

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I know people that take it very seriously.
The cards and their designs can be beautiful and complex. I have acquired several packs over the years, mainly because of the art work.

Russ

Istar
I am the same as COJ. I think the artwork is nice and creative and have a few decks for that reason. I don't personally put any stock into it beyond that though.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
I rather enjoy laying out spreads and interpreting their meanings. It's great food for thought, however reliable it actually is, and I find that, while fortune-telling by this (or any) method may be iffy at best, it can serve as inspiration for stories. Fortune-telling for characters, if you will.
What might not have any credence in reality can seal the fates of fictional characters, if you want it to.

Last edited:

Pythagoras

Troubadour
And I posted this on this forum, because I think fantasy as a genre is especially suited to the Tarot.

Gryphos

Auror
I do use tarot on occasion, mainly just as food for thought.

See, I don't believe there's anything mystical to it. Pieces of card with pictures on them are not an adequate tool for understanding the intricacies of the cosmos, but they allow for psychological introspection.

When I do a reading for myself, that cards aren't telling me what will happen – how can they; as I said, they're just pieces of card – rather, what could happen, and I ask myself whether I want that to happen, how I could avoid that happening, etc. I think this process of introspection can be extremely valuable.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Yep. I do tarot, for the same reason Gryphos stated. I see it almost like the rorschach test (ink blot test).

Show me a card and I will tell you what I see in it. It changes depending on the question, or where my mind set is, or what I'm subconsciously looking for. I don't see it as a future prediction thing, as much as a way to open the door to ask myself questions. An opportunity for introspection.