1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Council of Barons

Discussion in 'Machiavel: Ambition' started by Ravana, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Silver Pegasus

Silver Pegasus Scribe

The Baron of Hamastring enters, bearing a message for the Council on behalf of Lord Ilderich:

"Beware poisoned waters."

2. Night Terror

Night Terror Dreamer

Lazarus, once again in possession of the scroll, rises before the assembly.

"Those who were meant to read this prophecy have done so. In the wrong hands, this document could do harm."

He lifts a nearby candle, and sets the scroll ablaze.

"The first sign will be coming soon. Watch, wait and prepare. It will be here very, very soon."

Lazarus returns to his seat.

3. Ravana

Ravana Istar

A port-herald announces: "His Eminent Grace, the Elector Rudimer, Duke Palatine of Tyrvenhagn, Count of Erghirvegn, Baron of Eldenkasel, Escholheim, and Zabeinburg, Governor of the Northmark, Imperial Legate; her Noble Excellency, Lizibel, Viscountess of Ercheviksvegn, Baroness of Ercheviksheim." The named pair–husband and wife–enter arm in arm, as four grooms tail off at the door, dusters working until the last possible instant at removing signs of travel. "His Excellency, Handring, Baron of Upper Erchevolt; Her Excellency, Aligret, Baroness of Lower Erchevolt." His cousins only rate one groom apiece–or else they'd run out at the palace doors, which to your experience with palace staff isn't an actual possibility–which no doubt explains why the outlines of their sword-baldrics are still visible. They don't seem to care.

The duke smiles broadly as they all take seats. "I do hope we haven't missed too much."

4. Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian Scribe

"Now that's what I call timing."

Inside voice, fool! Inside voice.

Maybe no one noticed.

Or maybe they are all thinking the same thing.

5. TeaBerry

TeaBerry Dreamer

As the vicious flames consume the parchment, Safrax closes his eyes, gulps slowly and deeply, lowering his head as he knows the very words spoke of such impending events.

6. Night Terror

Night Terror Dreamer

A messenger enters the chambers and whispers a message to Lazarus. The Baron nods his head, and then stands before the assembly.

"Word has just reached me of a deed most foul. Three reigning barons and baronesses, along with their families and attendants, were poisoned last night. They were attending a party when this transpired. Several of them are not expected to survive."

Gasps are heard across the assembly.

"Clearly we have entered the beginning of the time of trials. Worse things are in store. To be prepared, we must take special measures."

He pauses and drinks from a clear glass of blood-red wine.

"Earlier our colleague, Alec, proposed investigating the recent rash of assassinations and mysterious deaths. I second his proposal, and suggest that an investigatory body be appointed to uncover the truth. This body will have the power to investigate the cause of these deaths, and may use any means necessary to uncover the truth."

Lazarus bows politely towards Safrax and Alec.

"I would suggest that this investigatory body consist of three barons, with Safrax at the head, and myself and Alec in supportive roles. Would someone second this proposal?"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. TeaBerry

TeaBerry Dreamer

A knock at the door shatters the moment of silence.

Lady Anthusa, wife of Baron Safrax, enters the room hesitantly, as all eyes focus on her. She motions for her husband, and pulls him aside. "Ensign Starflare is here to see you. He says it's of utmost importance."

Baron Safrax leaves the room to privately speak to his ensign.

After a few minutes, Safrax partially enters the room and jestures for his wife to come.

"Anthusa. I am sending you back to the keep. Once there, gather the children, and head on to... to... <Safrax leans in to whisper into his wife's ear> Stay there until you give birth. After which, send my brother Symeon with the good news, that I may know something again of joy." Wiping a single tear away from Anthusa's cheek, he gently says, "I love you and my children more dearly than my own life. I will see you again."

After one final kiss. The two part ways, and Safrax uneasily returns to the table.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Alec finishes writing the latter and quickly seals it with his signet ring. He turns to Blaine and says, "Ride quickly and deliver it to his hands only." Blaine quickly leaves the room.

Alec stands, "I second Baron Maderbrim's proposal, all in favor say aye. I would also call for a vote on leadership of this Council."

9. Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian Scribe

"I will second that one if you like, so we can get on with it. There are a lot of other things we need to talk about."

Anna gives Lothar a dirty look. Which is the only kind she has given him since she got here. He ignores it. He looks around the room.

"Anyone opposed to having a leader?" He waits. "Looks like that motion carries."

He slaps his palm on the table. "Now all we need is to know who is leading what, then all our problems will be solved."

Lothar re-seats himself. "Except for little ones like is our next Emperor going to arrest us all for treason for creating this Council."

Anna gives him another dirty look. But this time she is nodding, too.

10. Ravana

Ravana Istar

The Council affirms the investigatory committee as proposed.

11. TeaBerry

TeaBerry Dreamer

Calmly, Baron Safrax addresses the council:

"I was the only one who read the prophetic words of the scroll before it went up in flames, so it is no surprise that I have been chosen to lead this investigatory committee.

"While the investigation is in my hands, it is crucial that the aid and advice of this council be a part of all that is done.

"It must be known, however, that in all things - all things, my family comes first and foremost; hence the reason I suggested that Baron Lazarus be named the head of this council."

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  12. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Alec stands, "As of yet the only names considered for leadership of this council is the Baron Maderbrim and myself. Do any others wish for their names to come into consideration before this matter comes to a vote?"

13. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Sir Sanazar of the Samite Order, Baron of Mahaczeny and husband of the Viscountess of Regylhaza, rises:

"Excellencies, I would propose that a more experienced hand is required to guide our proceedings–and that such a person would also command greater attention in communicating the fruits of our deliberations. I would name Oretzno, Baron of Myrcuvuzi, as one I would entrust this task to. I am familiar with him from contracting much business with him these past two decades, though his fief lies a neighboring duchy. I would add that he has no connections with the royal lines, and has no close relations among the higher nobility, which, together with my experience of him, inclines me to believe that he might possess greater neutrality than many others we could choose."

The named baron–a man in his late forties, hale and serious of demeanor–rises, bows, sits without comment; Baron Sanazar likewise bows and returns to his seat. Several heads can be seen nodding.

Ervich, Baron of Saubridor, rises: "The same might be said of many here. But I have no objection to the Baron of Myrcuvuzi–for whom I am not a neighbor, rather separated by half the empire–and yet I too know him to be of good character and discernment; thus, I shall second his name."

After he, too, is seated, Lizibel, Viscountess of Ercheviksvegn, Baroness of Ercheviksheim, and wife of Duke Palatine Rudimer, stands. "Who presides in these deliberations and who speaks for us need not be the same; I suggest we establish the one, so we can move on; the second can always be decided upon once we have something worth communicating."

This, too, garners no few nods.

14. Night Terror

Night Terror Dreamer

Lazarus stands to address the council.

"There is no more time for this silliness. The time of trial will be here imminently. Mystical portents have been seen. Just recently a fabulous beast has been spotted in the mountains. It is a sign of what is coming."

"We need a leader, and need one now. I call for an immediate vote."

15. Ravana

Ravana Istar

You get one. The majority of the barons seem more comfortable with a long-established, familiar face: Oretzno, Baron of Myrcuvuzi is chosen. Someone has a page locate something that passes for a gavel, and Baron Oretzno opens the floor for someone to propose the next order of business.

16. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

"I propose we now discuss the proposal that baronies held by those with higher titles be dissolved and absorbed into their higher holdings." Alec's gaze passes over the gathered nobles. "This has both benefits and detriments. It would of course simplify much of the Empire's affairs, but isn't that fairly short sighted? I can see numerous problems. First of all it would severely limit the higher nobles influence if the Council is made permanent, so I am surprised it hasn't been defeated before now. Also at times when nobles hold a number of baronies they divide them between their heirs. If those baronies no longer only the eldest will get a meaningful inheritance."

17. Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian Scribe

Baron Lothar rises: "If this council is made permanent, and if it has the power to do anything other than talk.

"I think that is your answer: the higher nobles are waiting, to see if it matters whether they have seats on this Council."

Lothar starts pacing with his hands clenched behind his back. "On second thought, that can only be part of the answer. The law would already be defeated, if the higher nobles did not see some benefit in it."

He stops, facing Viscountess Lizabel, since she is the only higher noble who has spoken out recently. "So what is it we are missing, your Noble Excellency?"

Anna stifles a gasp. Her children are too young to inherit, if he didn't learn to control his tone better.

18. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Fortunately for Lothar, the Viscountess smiles back. On the other hand, it looks like she learned that smile from her duke, so that may not be a good thing.

"Far be it for me to speak for anyone other than myself or my husband, but I suspect that what you're 'missing' is this: baronies are held in fief from the emperor; other titles are hereditary. True, baronies are generally permitted to descend along hereditary lines–why disrupt a system that works?–but in legal theory, the baron's authority devolves from the emperor, as his steward over his lands.

"If the baronies held by those of higher title were dissolved, those lands would no longer belong to the emperor… any more than a parcel of land purchased by someone belongs to anyone other than the purchaser.

"So I would guess my peers are trying to decide if there is any advantage to remaining barons, rather than owning their own properties. Along with, in some cases, trying to overcome a deep-rooted distaste for being put on a level with commercial landlords." A wry grin suggests what her opinion of such persons probably is. "And those who aren't also barons are trying to figure the same thing, to decide what their stance on the matter should be."

She leans back and rests her head on one hand, smiling all the while. "While I may be mistaken in the matter, I highly doubt any of them are giving the least consideration to retaining seats on this Council."

Oh, that got Lothar off the hook. No one's paying the slightest attention to him now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  19. Silver Pegasus

Silver Pegasus Scribe

A page hands the Baron of Hamastring a note. He requests Baron Oretzno's indulgence. "From Lord Ilderich, to the Council: 'No key is required to open unlocked doors'."

20. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Nodding to the Viscountess, "Thank you for your insight on the matter. It was quite... illuminating. So the question is, how much power do we wish the Emperor to actually have?" He sits.