• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The dragon to dragons

rktho

Troubadour
So I'm writing a story in which all the characters are dragons and I had an interesting idea. What if the dragons had a creature of legend that was different across all dragon cultures but possessed enough similar traits to be recognized as the same legend? A creature larger than the lives of those larger than life, that both embodies basic aspects of draconity and at the same time is a mysterious and powerful alien? What would such a creature look like, and what powers would it possess? How much basis in truth would it have, and how much of that truth would be known? Anyway, I think it's a pretty interesting prompt. Let's throw things at it and see if we come up with anything interesting. This isn't really just for me, I think. It has interesting story potential for a wide range of fantasy.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My thoughts go towards cosmic entities like in the Chtulhu mythos, where there are entities that are so powerful as to be forces of nature in their own right. It's too long since I read any of it to tell the various entities apart, but I believe Azathot and Yogg-Sothoth were among them.

rktho

Troubadour
It’s be interesting to hear what kinda ballpark you had imagined. Would it fit on the Kaiju size chart? Is it even a physical entity?
Oh, it'd be up there with the really big ones for sure. The biggest dragons in my story are twice the size of Kodiak bears. I'm not sure anything that isn't absolutely gigantic would inspire awe in them.

As big as the colossal dragon from The Silmarillion?

sKS1GKZ.jpg

My first thought was something like Shou-Lao, the dragon Iron Fist fought. Shou-Lao the Undying.

I don't think the size requirements would match, but maybe some of the metaphysical aspects. Whenever Shou-Lao is killed by someone who becomes the Iron Fist, Shou-Lao is always reborn; hence, "The Undying."

Plus, there are some connections to chi that I don't fully understand. I'm not very up on Shou-Lao. Danny Rand gains the ability to create his iron fist, which is basically a very powerful concentration of chi, after shoving his fist into Shou-Lao's heart.

Maybe you could combine the immortal, magic-connected, ideas to something huge. Maybe even give the dragon the ability to entirely "disappear" into the environment. Let's say that the dragon is the immortal essence of a whole, continent-spanning jungle. It's always physically present there, very huge, but most people traveling there won't see it directly. Maybe they'll feel its presence, always feel they are being watched. But its connection to magic, its immortal essence, allows it to be something like a chameleon in that environment, although it has a physical body. It wouldn't be entirely the size of the jungle, but still very huge. Maybe its ability to fade into the environment could be explained by making it a creature that exists in multiple planes simultaneously.

Last edited:

Laurence

Inkling
I feel like, as your entire entire story's full of dragons, it seems like it shouldn't just be another huge monster. Perhaps a human...or a ridiculously huge human...

rktho

Troubadour
I feel like, as your entire entire story's full of dragons, it seems like it shouldn't just be another huge monster. Perhaps a human...or a ridiculously huge human...
Well, their "god" is a human, but they don't know what he looks like. They only know that everything that ever happens is written into existence by him. He's called the Rishnaran, which means writer. Actually, my GSV saw the Rishnaran's world in a vision and saw that they have the power to decimate entire populations with the tap of a finger, and the horrifying part is the Rishnaran has no control over them. Among his own people, he's not influential enough to stop them. So if they ever find a way into the dragon world, chances are they'll destroy it. My villain wants to stop that from happening.