1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Endless Hunt: Season 1, The Fabulous Beast

Discussion in 'Machiavel: Ambition' started by Philip Overby, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

This begins Season 1 of the Endless Hunt. Keep all role-playing in this thread. Any out of character questions should be addressed as such by using parentheses or brackets. Please refer to the Info Thread for any game-playing updates or issues.

The Season always starts in the location of the hunt unless otherwise noted. For the purposes of Season 1, everyone will start already hunting the Mark (prey or target).

The hunting area is blocked off on a private map I have, so it is important that you let me know which direction you are moving during your hunting. Interactions depend on where you are located in the various Zones. Everyone will have a starting Zone and then are free to move in whatever direction they choose.

I will post updates on what you see, hear, find, etc. in your Zone. It is then up to you whether you wait it out or move to another Zone (north, south, east, west, or the intermediate directions). Please note in bold somewhere in your post if you are moving directions or staying in the same place. Also, if you move too much, you might otherwise miss something you might have found if you stayed put!

Feel free to role-play amongst your own party if you brought a party with you. And remember the better you role-play, the more benefits your character will achieve at the end of the Season.

For communication between players, the Carrier system should be used. Please note that you are using a Carrier bird to send a message to another player by using this tag: Carrier to (Player's Name).

For your first post, please introduce your characters in some way (be reminded you are already at the hunting grounds). Also, please post your character's name at the top of your post, so I can keep up with who is talking easier. You can be as creative as you like with your introductions. Try not to make them too cryptic though:p!

Any actions such as shooting or attacking should be brief and noted as such (I'm shooting at that shadow over there). That way I can quickly determine if you hit something or not and process it. Please note most of my posting starts around 3-4 PM on the US time zone as I'm in Japan. So be patient if I don't get back to you soon.

I'm always available for private messages if you'd like to do any plotting outside the game or want to check with me about anything else.

So let's begin. Happy hunting! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Philip Overby

SEASON 1: THE FABULOUS BEAST

Report:

A creature of indiscernible nature has been seen skulking about Cunedor County and has been determined to be extremely dangerous. Its exact appearance is unknown, but has been identified by witnesses as a "wavering shadow." Screams can be heard coming from the woods, so it is believed that it has drug several women or children into its lair. Reports of twin sisters from the village of Rainwater gone missing have made these rumors all the more real. It is believed the creature is holed up somewhere in Rainwater Wood.

The bounties for this creature are as such:

Dead: 5,000 kreisenkranz
    Alive: 7,000 kreisenkranz

An undetermined reward is being offered by the families of the missing women.

Rumors

• Several people have reported wolves appearing more frequently.
    • The creature is a devil that preys on young girls' souls. It's best to be left alone.
    • It has a musky smell.
    • Some illegal activity has been going on in Rainwater Wood.
    • Heavy rain is expected in the coming days.

Rough Local Map (click to view)

Rainwater_Map-The_Endless_Hunt_Season_1.jpg

Bounty Board

The Fabulous Beast
    Wanted DEAD or ALIVE
    REWARD:
    5,000 k Dead
    7,000 k Alive
    Believed to be extremely dangerous

Otis "Bearmouth" Waley
    Wanted ALIVE
    REWARD:
    1,000 k
    Hair, brown, Eyes, brown, large build, heavy beard
    Wanted for banditry, fencing, and mayhem
    Believed to be armed and extremely dangerous

(Remember for your first post to please introduce your character to the Endless Hunt. My next post will detail each player's situation after introductions. Let's have fun!)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler Esquire

“Sir?”

A stately-looking man with graying brown hair and foppish clothes looked up from the map he held. He looked the approaching sentry in the eye and answered “Yes, Nigel?”

“A woman has arrived in camp, Sir.”

“A woman?” the brown haired man asked with a raised eyebrow. “Out here in camp? Well, send her away, Nigel. I don’t want the men trifling with that sort of element before a hunt.”

Nigel cleared his throat and thumbed the hilt of his dagger before replying. “She’s not that kind of woman, Sir.”

“No?”

“It’s Lady Dyet Moorstead, Sir.”

The brown haired man gaped at his sentry for but a moment, then said “Why didn’t you say so at first? Take her to my tent! At once, d’you hear fool!”

Nigel saluted and walked off. The brown haired man strode over to his large canvas dwelling, rolling up his map along the way. He walked past his other saluting sentry into the tent, where he set about clearing the notes, maps, and goblets from the lone small table. He’d just finished when the tent flap was pulled aside and Dyet Moorstead stepped inside the candlelit shelter.

With fawning grace, the brown haired man bowed to his guest. “My Lady! What a surprise to see you out here!”

She smiled sweetly. “Den Fowler Esquire, it’s so good to see you well.”

“Of course, my Lady,” Den said. But enough about me. How are you feeling? I hope your… ailment did not impede your journey.”

As if by reflex, her right hand moved to her left forearm, which seemed to hang at her side loosely. While her smile seemed to fade, it never left her face.

“Oh, I’m much better, thank you” she said. “I’ve managed to return to my duties as chamberlain, actually. That’s why I’m passing through here. I’m on my way to see about acquiring berry bushes for an orchard on our lawns.”

“Ah, yes,” Den said. “An orchard or two near Dysterby wouldn’t hurt either, my Lady.”

“I agree,” she stated, and then the enthusiasim returned to her face. “Now tell me, Den, What takes you so far from Overmoor? Isn’t there some kind of council taking place in Kaerbijin?”

“Oh, that,” Den said, figeting with his clothes as if the tent had suddenly become hot and stuffy. “Yes, well, I… I’ve already communicated my wishes to your brother through Alderman Mupp. I’m sure things will be fine.”

Dyet eyed the now nervous man as if he were a mischevious child. “Yes, but you are an alderman as well, are you not? Surely your presence would aid your standing at Moorstead Tower?”

Grinning sheepishly, Den gave an apologetic gesture. “What can I say?” he said. “I must go where the hunt takes me.”

“Ah, so ‘tis a hunt that takes you from Kaerbijin?”

“Yes, my lady,” said Den with an anxious voice. “Now, if you’ll give me pardon, I must see to the hounds before we get underway.”

“Of course,” she said as turned toward the tent entrance. She waited graciously for Den to pull the flap aside for her, and she made her exit while saying “Goodbye, Den” in a sweet voice.

Once she had gone, Den exhaled deeply. He rubbed his chin in thought for some time before exiting the tent and making his way to the hound pen.

Once there, he approached a scraggly, bearded old man and asked “Have the scouts returned, Heck?”

“All but one, milord.”

“Who?”

“Steig. He had Digger with him. If I know that dog, milord, he’s caught the scent. That’s a good hound you got, aye.”

Den smiled. “I also have a good hound master, eh Heck?”

“Too kind, milord, too kind,” Heck said with a gap-toothed grin.

Just then Nigel approached with a scout and his leashed dog in tow. “Sir!” he exclaimed. “Steig’s found something!”

Den walked over to the scout and said “Report, Steig.”

Winded, Steig struggled to speak. “Sir, I… I gave Digger the musk just like you said to. About two leagues southwest by west… By an old footpath he started yapping… I came back here straightaway, Sir.”

“Good work, Steig. Nigel!”

“Sir?”

"Tell the riders to mount up. Weâe heading in a westerly direction as soon as the hounds are ready. Heck!”

“Milord?”

“Get young Black to care for Digger, and ready the hounds. We’ll find this creature, whatever it is, and have our bounty within a week!”

Den strode back to his tent and gathered his coat, quiver, and bow. The hunt was on!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  4. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Quiet, slow darkness... That is what I am. I am the hunter...
    Moving with a slow silent trod, Aeron moved through the trees. He melded with the shadows, only the swirling alchemic circles, glowing with bioluminescence, were visible on the backs of his hands had there been any observers. Well, there was one, Aeron's trusted friend, Thames. Neither of the two blots of darkness made a sound as they passed through the forest. As they had traveled, both the Sage and the Dweller had killed many a wolf. Even now they were stalking a particularly large specimen, about 6 feet tall with a grey tinge. Aeron was the first to pounce.

Leaping from the tree he had been resting in, Thames followed with the winged ease that only a Dweller could pull off. They both hit the wolf at the same time, Aeron driving both of his swords deep into the beast's neck, this brought a flood of acrid blood. Thames, on the other hand, had dived at the wolf's flank and jabbed his long talons into its lower rib cage.

Minutes later they sat down to their feast. Thames perched in a high tree on look out, while munching one giant hind leg. Aeron had pulled a short knife out and was serving himself more manageable slices.
    Aeron glanced at his companion, "As we close in there will be more. This one," he gestured at the roasting meat, "was only a pup compared to what awaits."
    Thames only grinned down with blood covering his face. Aeron grinned back.

That night, Aeron took first watch. He had constructed a small hovel with Alchemy using the surrounding stone, a rough house but it would do. He stared out into the wide forest. We'll know soon... When Thames catches that brute's scent, the real hunt will begin.
    Aeron settled back quietly and whispered, "There will be competition of course. I suppose we'll head towards North. Fewer people will chose that way." Silently he added, And those that do won't last long.
    He clenched his fist, This will truly be a hunt worth remembering. As the night settled in, his eyes began to glow brilliant green, and his hands began to echo the same light. That light glinted off his twin blades, and he gripped his staff harder.

Soon, you beast. You will have a Sage to deal with...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Philip Overby

(Please note that I have updated my earlier post with a rough map of the region. Do with it what you will! :). I'll give introductions another day and then we'll proceed forward from there. Good stuff so far!)

The Grey Sage likes this.
  6. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Baronet Kristof Kovacs

Kristof moved away until the sound of the main party faded into silence. He set down the cage he had been carrying and opened the door. Reaching his arm in, the hooded merlin nibbled at his finger before hoping onto his arm. When he removed the hood, she looked around at the unfamiliar landscape.

"We're a long way from home aren't we Pookie?" he said with a chuckle. The merlin turned and gave him a look that could only be called a glare. He smiled, "What? You don't like your nickname?" The sound that came from the merlin was anything but pleased. "Very well, Nym," he replied with a sigh.

He lifted his arm and gave the merlin Nym a well-rehearsed signal. Nym would fly high over the surrounding terrain, searching for anything unusual while Kristof would remain where he was to await her return. Kristof sat and began to whistle, it was a lively tune that his new wife was fond of singing, it was going to be a while. A bird like Nym would be next to useless if she didn't know the area, and getting to know it took time. I just hope that it turns out to be time well spent.

7. Philip Overby

Den Fowler

There is a slight drizzle.

Heading west, the dogs seem to being tenaciously following the scent you've given them. You can hear the sound of rushing water up ahead.

Your rather large party has apparently spooked some of the local wildlife as one of your scouts has spotted a pack of wolves loping about. They're keeping a cautious distance, but it seems there must be at least five of them.

You notice a hawk soaring overhead. It flies over quickly and is gone.

One of your hounds has begun whining and doesn't seem to want to go forward. There doesn't seem to be any wounds or marks on it, but it's quivering and doesn't want to budge no matter how much you try to get it to move. It actually snaps at one of your men.

Sage Auron Greymoore

It has begun to rain lightly.

Moving north you find a small clearing. It's already occupied by someone else, who is relaxing underneath a lightning-struck tree. The man looks dressed for hunting and keeps sniffling. He is whistling as well, so doesn't appear to be too put off by the cold.

Thames seems interested in this man. Even more so when a hawk swoops down and lands on his arm.

You think he hasn't seen you yet, so it's possible to still sneak off in another direction. Bear in mind, if you go east you will leave the forest completely.

You hear faint screams, but can't determine where they are coming from.

Kristof Kovacs

Nym returns after being gone for over an hour. When she returns she has a piece of bloody cloth wedged in her beak. Her flight seems to be slightly off. Upon further examination, you can see that her left wing is wounded. Not enough to keep her from flying, but it looks like she had a bit of a struggle. The wound looks like a slash.

Nym came flying back in an easterly direction, so it seems like she has been ranging to the west, south-west.

You get the feeling someone is watching you.

It has begun raining and you already have the feeling of cold coming on as your nose is running.

You hear faint screams, but you can't decipher which direction they're coming from.

8. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron heard the man before he saw him. He was sitting under a crooked burned tree. Thames, standing behind Aeron, cocked his head in an expression of preplexion and intrest. Aeron had seen this reaction before, and he always trusted the Dweller's instincts. After all, Dwellers in their strange nocturnal culture had developed almost a type of prediction or foresight as a defense mechanism. Aeron had often met an ally this way, by watching the reactions of his dark winged friend.

In one cool clean motion, with steady and faster-than-the-eye speed, Aeron had his swords drawn but not raised and was standing in front of the man.
    Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the man's hunting hawk, swoop in and perch on his master's arm.
    The stranger glanced up at Aeron...
    Thames saw Aeron move and shifted into position. He had seen the hawk swoop in, and was keenly aware that the man before them was a hunter of some sort. With his talons raised and himself perched high in a tree, crounching read to spring, he waited.

He kept his wings folded behind him, No need to frighten him... most humans hadn't seen a Dweller in person, after all most kept to the dark and hidden in large colonies. Thames scared most pitiful weaklings away and there wasn't much chance of concealment, but Aeron was always cautious about hunters, so Thames should be too.

Distantly Thames heard the screams, although distant, and looked at Greymoore. He hadn't wavered, obviously intent on the man before them. Thames smiled, The hunt begins in earnest... Suddenly, Thames looked back down to the clearing as the hunter stood...

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

The overcast sky had been scattering small raindrops over the land for some time, leaving the horses and their riders nearly soaked and the hounds smelling worse than usual.

When the group of cavalry and dogs came to the river, Den held up his right arm. The entire party came to halt and dismounted. The hounds settled on the wet ground of the riverbank, while the riders led their majestic beasts of burden to water.

Over the course of the last hour, Den’s face had lost the look of enthusiasim that had been so evident earlier. The latest scouting reports held nothing of interest to him, other than some stray wolves.

As if that weren’t bad enough, he’d seen that damn bird again. If Kovacs was in on this hunt, that could be a problem.

Den walked over to a tall, light haired rider and said “Harlan, when you’re done with your mount have the men set up the shelter. I’ll be sending a message to the main camp. They are going to move our center of operations to this spot, here by the river. We’ll wait here until they arrive.”

“Yes, sir,” Harlan said. “Beg pardon, sir, but the men have been talking about going after the wolves the scouts spoke of.”

“Ah yes. Once the shelter is up, you can take a few men and hounds of your choosing. See if you can’t bring us back some pelts.”

Harlan grinned. “Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.”

Den then stalked off and sat on a large stone just next to the river and began to write the messages he would send via Carrier bird within his mind. There would have to be two of them. One, of course, would be addressed to Heck, instructing him to move camp. The other he would send to a particular hawker who was infringing on his hunt…

10. Philip Overby

Den Fowler

After waiting for about an hour, Harlan and company return back with two dead wolves, but are down one hound.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we lost Farley." Harlan said, his hands smeared in blood.

Farley had been one of the oldest hounds, but had been reliable. Harlan took to burying the dog himself in the woods where he was slain.

You've heard no word back from your other party or Kovacs.

Another hour passes and you suddenly hear a horse break through the brush, a tired and lathered horse stumbling forth. It's Heck, dirtied and bruised, with an arrow in his shoulder.

"Ambush, sir-" Heck sputtered. "There were so many, they must've circled around--I don't know what happened to the rest of the party--I'm sorry, sir."

Sage Auron Greymoore

You stand before the man, who only looks up at you coldly. He clutches a crossbow in his hand.

His hawk doesn't seem to like you.

You can now faintly hear the sounds of horses whinnying.

Kristof Kovacs

A shadowy figure is approaching you with two long blades, lowered. His blades are clean.

Nym begins batting her wings.

You hear other birds flutter overhead and a distant sound of horses.

The figure stands before you, silent.

11. Philip Overby

(This is a rough sketch made by a local artist, 83 year old Katie Toland. This image is based off eye-witness reports of what the Fabulous Beast looks like. Another note, Legendary Sidekick shall be joining the game soon as what I call a "Guest Player." Meaning he will serve the purpose of role-playing some of the NPCs you meet during your hunt. Because he will be playing multiple characters, he will make a note of when he is using a specific character. I will use the same method when I am using NPCs of my own. Now return to your regularly scheduled hunting! :) )

Fabulous_Beast_Sketch.jpg

12. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Baronet Kristof Kovacs

Kristof looked up at the newcomer to the clearing, he put on a smile and greeted him, "Hello friend. What brings you to this area?" Without moving his gaze from the newcomer, or letting go of his crossbow, he bandaged Nym's wound in a way that would not keep her from flying.

He looked up as a carrier bird arrived, he placed Nym beside him while he allowed the carrier to land on his arm. When he removed its message it took off again to return to its owner. He placed the message in a pocket, unread. He looked back at the newcomer, Doesn't he know it it rude to approach someone with bared steel? What does he want anyways? I wonder... Kristof wanted to know more about the strange man before he moved off in the direction Nym had returned from.

[Is it just me or does the "Fantastic Beast" look like a purple lynx?]

13. Philip Overby

(Just a note, The Grey Sage and myrddin173 are talking now. Any role-plays between players are up to you guys (of course).

Also, bear in mind that this sketch was made by a 84 year old woman. So she sort of took "artistic liberties." This may or may not be what the beast actually looks like. Now back to your regular scheduled hunting!)

14. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Aeron looked down at the man. He seemed, care free but rather focused. His hawk seemed somewhat injured and now he had set about fixing the unfortuante bird's wound. Aeron turned away from the man but did not leave.

Although he wished to move he wouldn't let his guard down around a fellow hunter. "Who are you stranger? Are you after the beast?" As these last words passed his lips, Thames lept silently over the unaware pair below and towards the now faint screams.

Tumbling through the brush he dove in and out of branches, around trunks and past wolves, until he came to a small river. Thames could easily fly over but the sight that caught his eye stopped him in his tracks. Standing across the river, just a few yards away was...

15. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

"We'd just got your Carrier, milord, and were preparing to move camp when they struck."

Heck winced a little and stopped rubbing at his freshly bandaged wound. Den nodded for him to continue.

"I saw Nigel fall. Had an arrow in his throat, he did. We ran for cover, but by then they were upon us. I think they's just bandits, milord, but by the heavens there were so many..."

"I see," said Den. "Rest now, Heck. You've done well."

With a look of rage in his eyes, Den turned and walked over to Harlan, who had been listening in on Heck's report. "No more beasts, Harlan. Now we hunt the men who did this. Have the men and what hounds we have left ready to leave as soon as possible. We shall head back to our campsite, look for survivors, and pick up the trail of these devil-spawn. Vengeance shall be ours."

"Yes, sir," said Harlan, and he strode off with a grim face and his jaw set.

"I'm coming too, milord."

Den turned to Heck. "You're in no condition-"

"I'm going with or without your say-so, milord."

Den nodded and left to gather his things. Right now he just hoped all was not lost.

16. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Baronet Kristof Kovacs

"Who are you stranger? Are you after the beast?" the stranger asked.

How rude, thought Kristof, After my nice, respectful greeting too! "I am Kristof of House Kovacs, Baronet. And who might you be?" Kristof looked over the man, he had rough clothing that had a good deal of use. Probably some common bounty hunter after a big score... Taking another look at the man's swords he silently signalled Nym to summon the rest of his hunting party. I don't want to be alone if this man attacks...

(Wait, Thames is a bird?)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  17. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Aeron saw the disgust on the man's face. With a small signal the man sent his bird, probably to retrieve a message, off into the sky. Where did Thames get to? He knows the mission. Maybe the sun really was too much for him...

With that thought Aeron gave the man a half smile, "Well Kristof... You seem to be a hunter, or at least a member of a hunting party... Remember this and remember it well, child of flesh: If you ever see me again, it will be the last thing you see. I do not wish to kill an innocent man, but if you get in my way... I'll seal you away and silence that trained tongue of yours."
    With that Aeron faded into the trees, with his usual stealth. He tracked Thames with ease, and as he did, he pondered his fellow hunter, Kristof...

If there's one, there will be more. The sage grinned his scruffy smile, he was going to relish this challenge.

Up ahead he saw Thames' cloak billowing in the wind, with his wings outspread and his arms in fighting stance. Aeron speed up to the river bank and slowed as he saw the opposite shore, and what stood upon it...

(Thames is not a bird... I'll let the specifics of my characters slip in slowly...:))

P.S. Myrddin, be glad I didn't feel like a fight... yet :skull: :)

18. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Baronet Kristof Kovacs

Kristof watched in outrage, and a bit of confusion, as the stranger faded into the woods, "Child of flesh? What is that even supposed to mean? And he dares to threaten a noble of the realm?!" He ignored the fact that nobles are frequently threatened, then again that was always by other nobles and the stranger was definitely not a nobleman.

He sat fuming partially because of his encounter with the nameless man and partially due to a cold he was developing. "Oh yah... the message," he reached into his pocket and unfolded the message. He read it over and uttered a short laugh, "Not likely, the beast is mine." He crumpled up the page and threw it over his shoulder before composing a reply. He was just sending the carrier bird when Nym landed beside him followed by Kristof's second. "Mister Nikola, how nice of you to join me. We will be following Nym as she retraces her flight west."

[Grey Sage - I would check out who Kristof is related to most notably a man whose title starts with an E and ends with a -mperor :D. Sparkie - Kristof probably would have accepted but Aeron put him in a bad mood...]

19. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

... Another hunter! you've got to be kidding me!
    Sure enough, a single hooded figure sat on a rock, facing the pair across the river. But upon further inspection he didn't seem armed and sure enough, wasn't interested in the newcomers that much.

"Ya'll came to kill that demon?" A nod of consent came from Thames. The man's only response was to hook his finger in the direction behind him.

Aeron with one leap, and Thames with a flap of his wings, was on the other side and running. Aeron glanced at Thames, sure enough his blunt nose was twitching. He had caught a scent!
    Aeron glanced at the now high sun, So to the west it is...

20. Philip Overby

Den Fowler

Morale is low amongst your remaining men now. One mumbles, "What a damned fool idea this was."

They claim to hear voices in the woods following them as you back-track east to where your main party was ambushed. Heck seems to be getting a bit feverish. Sweat rolls off his forehead as you journey back.

You stumble across Nigel, who has been strung upside down from a tree. His body looks to have been brutally beaten and stuck full of arrows. A note has been pinned to him with one of the arrows. "We have the woman."

The strained howl of wolves echoes through the wood.

Sage Auron

You leave behind Kristof and the mysterious hooded man. You're lead to a nearby stream, that flows from the north. The water looks tempting. The scent Thames has picked up trails into a rotted tree stump. Upon further investigation, a pile of bloody clothes have been stuffed into the rotted out hole. From the looks of them, they could be a man's. A very large man's.

There is no blood trail, but Thames seems to have picked up two different scents now. One that continues west and one that goes north.

The screams you heard before seem to be emanating from the west. They are very faint.

However, to the north there is a distinctly worn trail that looks like it leads up to someone's house.

Kristof Kovacs

(Is Nikola one of your men? Just checking. Does he have any skills to speak of?)

With the mysterious man gone, he heads off in the same direction as you, west. You can hear the babbling of water further ahead.

As you're walking, you hear the snap of iron. Nikola just narrowly avoided a bear trap. The trap is rusted and appears to have dried blood on it. You get the feeling there are loads of traps in this area.

The cold rain is really starting to get to you. You're getting chills. You hear a faint scream coming from the west. Nym seems panicked.

To the south you hear some kind of commotion. Sounds like steel ringing on steel.

(These woods are rather large, but I'm only noting when something of interest happens. So unless otherwise noted, most of the time you're walking, nothing is happening, in order to seem more like real-life.)