1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Endless Hunt: Season 1, The Fabulous Beast

Discussion in 'Machiavel: Ambition' started by Philip Overby, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Gunther McGraw

Den Fowler

"What a sorry bunch these poodlers are," a voice whispers.

"Seems the dog-lovers are made of money, ain't they Gunther?"

"We'll see what this Fowler fella's made of," says Gunther. "What say you, archers?"

A slight rustling is heard from the west. Hounds dart as far as their leashes allow, growling, barking, leaping in futile attempts to free themselves.

"Den Fowler! Show yourself if you don't wish the rest of your crew to join that misfortunate soul."

A boot crosses the threshold of the main tent, but hesitates mid-step. Within a yard of the entrance, thirty arrows protrude from the ground, almost evenly spaced and aligned within a small margin of error.

"Those arrows are a gift, hunter," McGraw bellows, "as are any arrows you find that aren't sticking out of your men, or from your own body. Think of what your life is worth, Fowler.

"O'course, I'm thinking 'bout what your men might be worth. And then there's the lady!

"I 'ave her, too. Which means we have ourselves a business proposition..."

2. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron saw the house before he heard the screams, still off in the western forest. Thames stalked towards the house but Aeron held up his hand. "We continue West, after we've checked the house out. We need to move fast others are on the scent probably." Silently he thought, Those bloody rags we saw earlier could they have been from whoever lives here?
    And with that the two walked out into the clearing straight towards the house, weapons ready.

3. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

(Amateur portrait of a mysterious hunter painted by local artist Katie Toland. Believed to be Sage Auron Greymoore. She tends to take lots of artistic liberties. :) )

Sage_Auron_Greymoore.jpg

4. Legendary Sidekick

Ben Slain

Sage Aeron Greymoore

"Oh me, oh my!" Slain pokes out of his bunker.

Another screech. He appraoches his BS Double-Tree Invisiweb[SUP]TM[/SUP] and examines the trapped creature.

"Well, yes, not-so-little fellow... I would love to help you down from there. Er... you don't bite, do you?"

Suddenly, Ben silences himself. He is certain he heard the snap of a twig. He shifts his eyes to the direction of the sound.

All is silent, but a quick flash raises his pulse. Was it the glimmer of a drawn sword?

How could I let them get so close? Don't tell me I risked my neck over that thing caught in my trap!

Too late to run back, Ben Slain stammers, "F-f-f... friend or foe?"

No reply.

"Show yourself!" he demands before adding, "Please?"

5. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

The net had caught Thames unawares but Aeron hadn't been as careless. As soon as the net snapped into position Aeron flipped back into the trees and blended in to his surroundings, like mist among fog. The creature that emerged from a hideaway was a small human, obviously not brave of heart. The terrified being stood petrified and glanced in his direction.

"F-f-f... friend or foe?" The cowering figure stammered. Aeron chose his words carefully, prepared to bury the human in a earthen prison at the slightest hint he was more than he seemed. Alchemic circles blazing, Aeron drew his other sword. "Show yourself!" the human yelled, then much quieter he added, "Please?"

Thames by now had worked his way out the net, nothing that flimsy could stand against his razor sharp teeth. The human turned in fright to Thames. Of course, another frightened child of flesh, who's 'never seen something like me before'... Thames raised his arms in a gesture of calm and reassurence.

Aeron saw his companion begin to relax and he too let himself breathe easier and, still with drawn swords, stepped into the clearing. Both had their hoods covering their faces, and neither had spoken a word. Until Aeron shattered the dead calm with two simple words, "Neither... yet..." Depends on whether you want our heads, our prey, or our help...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

After the encounter with the bear trap Kristof orders the party to slow considerably. "None of you will be of any use if your foot gets chopped off," Kristof said when some men protested.

By the time they reached the river, Kristof was not doing very well. "Noble lord, I suggest we set up camp here for the night."

Looking north and south along the river, Kristof didn't see any bridges, "Very well Mister Nikola, we will remain here. I don't think we can get much farther before nightfall. When the men are finished setting of camp have them construct a raft or two. I want to cross first thing in the morning."

7. Legendary Sidekick

Ben Slain

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Slain sees the creature free itself. Oh, dear! That guy with the two swords is not going to be very happy should his pet attempt to fly!

The hooded man finally replies to Ben's friend or foe question. "Neither... yet."

"I suppose 'friend' is a strong word considering we just crossed paths for the first time. But it's good to know you're not a foe. I prefer to keep it that way, so let me start by giving you a friendly tip.

"You're going to have to help your little friend. Er... I'm assuming the creature that flew into my net is with you. Your hoods match. Anyway, your friend... um, I'm not exactly sure of his species... heh."

Slain is also unsure about the creature's gender, but figures it's best he keep that to himself.

"Well, whatever he is, he's a smart one. He must have perched on that branch knowing he won't be able to fly. My name is Slain, by the way. Ben Slain, inventor of state-of-the-art traps. The Invisiweb, one of my latest--heh--is not designed to hold a creature of his size. It's made of a sticky substance which disables flight.

"And... oh, dear me! I am truly sorry, but no matter how powerful those wings are, you're going to have to lend him a hand."

The hooded figure is obviously not a big talker, but he appears to be patient. Just the same, Slain extends his fingers to show he is unarmed while maintaining a safe distance, then finally tells the hooded figure how to help his pet.

"If you bring your--" Slain almost says pet, but stops himself. "--friend over to the lake, the adhesive should come right off!"

8. Philip Overby

(It is now nightfall in game. It will become difficult to see in any combat situation. If you wish to continue onward and hunt at night, you may be putting your character at risk.)

9. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

The Sage was impressed as he helped Thames relieve himself of the net. The thread was a fine sticky film with stronger interwoven strands, and all of it was near invisible, especially in the evening light.

Without turning from his work Aeron asked, "Slain, what is your business in a forest infested with fell beasts and a monster from hell? Do you intend on trying to capture them?..." His mouth twitched, and slowly curled into a smile.
    Thames finally pulled the last strands of the sticky threads off himself and cock his head at Slain. Aeron glanced at his friend, "No, I suppose you've never seen someone like Thames... Slain, we will be staying here for tonight, do you have a problem with that? We can always move on but I hesitate to confine myself in a forest of darkness."

Thames opened his mouth to talk but Aeron held up his hand and shook his hand, and Thames' mouth slowly, indignantly closed his mouth. Again I am doomed to silence by the simple fact flesh children cannot speak correctly to a Dweller of the Night. Thames jumped into the nearest tree, trying to locate the scent again, and he found it without trouble but the distant screams had ceased. Both the hunters turned to Slain... "What do you say Slain?"

10. Philip Overby

END OF DAY 1

Den Fowler

Currently confronting the bandits who attacked your camp. The bandit leader's name appears to be Gunther McGraw. Your men whisper about the captives he's taken. They're looking to you at the ready to strike if needed.

Night is quickly approaching and it's becoming difficult to see where the hidden bandits may be lurking.

Sage Auron Greymoore

The sticky substance from the trap Thames was caught in, still clings to his wings. He seems to have more mobility now, but it's still making it difficult for him to fly at full functionality.

You are currently discussing "lodging" arrangements for the night with the trapper Ben Slain.

You haven't heard the screams in sometime.

Kristof Kovacs

Setting up camp for the night, your men seem relieved. Nikola especially. However, while taking a leak, one of your men gets blasted in the face with some kind of powder from one of the trees. He falls over, clutching his eyes and screaming. Upon further inspection, it appears to be a miniature spring-loaded catapult filled with some kind of white residue.

"There's damn traps everywhere!" Another man squeals as he falls into a hole about waist deep. He flails his hands about as his eyes bulge out. "Get me out!"

Your cold has made you somewhat dull to what's going on, but Nikola comes over to where you're lying on the ground underneath a blanket. "Sir, this place is infested."

The night is eerily quiet other than the wails of the traps' victims.

Update: Season 1 ends in real-time on February 28th. If the bounty is not collected by that day, then the Fabulous Beast manages to elude all of you. Of course catching the beast isn't necessarily required, but Season 1 ends on Feb. 28th. You'll all be given awards based on your role-playing and have the ability to carry over some upgrades to your characters to Season 2 (getting new Strengths and other things I'll reveal later)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler

“Ready?”

“We are, sir.”

“All right, you know the plan. Harlan, take the men out there and kill as many as you can. Up close and personal, now. No sense shooting if you can’t see. I’ll be here with Heck. Do not fail Lady Moorstead. If she comes to harm, not only will her brother send every soldier in Overmoor to kill these bandits, he’ll probably kill us as well simply out of principle.”

“Yes, sir. We will not fail.”

Harlan walked off to certain doom as Den mopped Heck’s feverish brow…

12. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

The night ended horribly. At 4 o clock in the morning Aeron and Thames were already thanking Slain and on their way. Slain had been a fool yes, but an honest one. They reached the forest and dove in. There wasn't much light out, in fact with both moon and sun battling for the sky, there were only a few stars to guide them. I am a Sage... I kill because I am a darkness... Aeron often repeated this mantra silently to himself. They traveled for many hours in silence.

When the screams began, both dark figures rushed even faster through the underbrush, and as Thames waved a fern out of his path with one claw, he noticed it was rather dry and crumbling. The two skidded to a halt. They had stopped at the edge of the forest, before them lay a vast graveyard, larger than either of them had seen.
    Aeron remembered the terrors of his past, in a single flash he was again standing before a high council. The sentence of his crimes had been made and he was to forever be restricted with a multi-layered seal, preventing his full power. Only with the help of Thames had he gotten past all but one of the restrictions, now only his ultimate abilities were beyond his grasp.

Aeron shook himself and glanced out on the graveyard. "Lovely place..." He muttered under his breath. Thames eyed his companion in jovial playfulness, this was his territory. Thames was born in a place such as this, and he was only really comfortable in one as dreary as this.

Suddenly both Thames and Aeron could smell it. A dank musk that could only mean one thing, their target was close. Thames also smelled blood and death but his concentration was more on the dark shape moving into view...

13. Legendary Sidekick

Gunther McGraw

Harlan

McGraw watches Harlan and several others charging from afar. It is apparent that one of the archers has been spotted.

Bad move, but admirable as it's their best chance if it's a fight they're itching for. If they tried to sneak in, we'd have spotted them anyway. And what fun would that've been, shooting 'em down all at once?

"You see the one leading the charge?"

"Right between the eyes, Gunnie." Sven Elven draws back his arrow. "Won't even feel it."

"That's because you're not going to shoot him."

Sven aims just to the right and takes down the man next to Harlan.

Arrows fly in both directions. One of McGraw's men drops from a tree with a scream. Two more of Harlan's fall.

McGraw knows that his men, aside from that unlucky one and perhaps another, could survive this if all stay put. But the adrenaline has kicked in. He can see the arrows moving in slow motion just enough to know where to aim his charge. He sprints into the fray, curved blade at his left hip; custom crossbow at his right. This will cost him some lives, but his won't be one of them. Of that he is certain. It's not about getting the better share by reducing his numbers. McGraw sees the arterial sprays painting the world around him. He wants a taste of that blood.

Harlan sees an arm fly before he's even aware that McGraw drew his blade. It takes another quarter second to realize it was not his arm.

Harlan thrusts his blade, and is momentarily blinded.

He wipes the blood from his eyes, and sees a long-haired archer before him on his knees, grasping at his own punctured throat. Harlan pitilessly kicks the dying man's teeth in--to get him out of the way--and stands over his pathetic, whimpering victim.

"Sven!"

Leaves are still.

Droplets of rain hover in place.

Time has stopped for McGraw.

He takes advantage of this moment and his peripheral vision reveals five more corpses on the ground that were once loyal to him. He cannot attempt to turn his head. If McGraw moves, the world will move with him. But from what McGraw can see, the man who killed Sven Elven has no friends here.

McGraw's blade is sheathed.

Now it's not.

Harlan dodges back. The slash barely grazing his forehead is a small price to pay for what he did to this Sven fellow, the only man that McGraw seems to care about.

McGraw is relentless with his blade, but his eyes are bloodshot and grey as cold stones. His emotion is getting the better of him.

Harlan swings his blade, knowing it is suicide. Even if he wins this duel, McGraw's archers will surely avenge their leader.

A miss! A critical miss at that!

No sense worrying about the archers now.

McGraw pierces the right hand of his opponent, forcing him to drop his blade.

The adrenaline rush is fading. At least to the point that McGraw can control himself.

"You did well to kill Elven. I'd enjoy doing the same to you, but several days slower."

McGraw picks up the man's blade.

"Another time. I need you alive." He points out the corpses... and that poor disembowed chap who sure ain't gonna make it. "No choice in the matter."

He sticks the man's weapon into the ground, a little to his left, one step from his reach.

"Take your blade with you. You're a worthy opponent. Heal up before you attempt a rematch. I'll be out of mourning by then. You have my word I'll kill you quickly."

McGraw's men lower their weapons and begin to clear a path.

"In return for being spared, you need to send a message to Fowler since he's made it apparent he has no interest in conversing with me.

"Tell him Gunnie Mac says if he wants the Lady back, he's to bring 10,000 kreisenkranz to Linley Cemetery.

"A personal appearance would be right neighborly. And one without bloodshed, minding we ought behave ourselves in the presence of a lady."

14. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron was eccstatic, the shape was not more than 6 yards away, but with all the morning mist that billowed across the graveyard he still could not see what it was. He was there in moments, for a sage (who could move faster than the eye) it was childs play to be one place then in a mere blink be two yards above the target nad have both blades spiraling down towards the beast. This is exactly what had happened, with Thames screeching and following at his loping (hindered by thin sticky threads) but high speed run.

The smell of blood was in the air, and as Aeron pulled his blades from the beast he noticed it was not the dark menacing purple of their target, nor the soft thin flesh of a human, this was a gigantic wolf. It was all over in seconds but now Aeron understood the situation perfectly and explained it to his now bloodthirsty companion.

"Not only does the Beast steal souls but it commands these," he kicked the carcass nor bleeding profusly, "... wolves. This must be a more developed version of those we saw in the forest." To this last statement Thames began to drool. Aeron nodded approvingly. "Aye, and it seems we're surrounded..."

The mist now clearing both of the companions turned to see a ring of massive wolves surrounding them. The hunters glanced at eachother, then jumped into the horde of wolves.

-Half a hour later...-

They both stood in pools of blood, massive piles of corpses were their only companions. Some of them were impaled on stony pikes (Aeron's doing), some were ripped to shreds by Thames' claws, and some had been felled by Aeron's blades. The pair began to clean their weapons and search the spoils. None of the wolves had been much of a challenge, but their sheer number and the unpredictability of uncoordinated beasts had been a fair fight for a restrained Sage and a hindered Dweller.

Aeron coughed, "Well done, now for the leader..." Both of them turned to the west edge of the graveyard, where a half-collapsed church lay. Thames grinned and Aerons hands blazed.

"Let's see the others get this far... We go to kill a demon!"

15. Philip Overby

(The beast is not necessarily a demon, that is only a rumor conjured up by the local people.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  16. Legendary Sidekick

Philip Overby likes this.
  17. Legendary Sidekick

Bouldergut, the Barbarian

It's not my place to protect this forest.

But there are others who feel it is their place to do so.

Is it my place to protect them?

Ah... now what? Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

Sage Aeron Greymoore

"You, in the hood! What in the holy name of the heavens are you doing? Those animals were spooked! Was it really necessary to slaughter a mother protecting her cubs?"

I approach the hooded figure. I know his kind all too well. Stubborn. Overestimating himself.

"They say I'm undefeated in battle, but I was young once. I took my licks from the masters and I'm a better man today because of it. My skin isn't as impenetrable as the rumors'd have you believe, but the old masters taught me to pick my battles wisely so I'd live long enough to grow strong.

"I don't know that I can convince you of this reality... but you can't beat every man or beast out there.

"If you're looking to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers and get innocent people killed by your recklessness, keep doing what you're doing.

"If it's a worthy challenge you seek, head south east. There's a beast more deserving of a taste of your blade in that direction. My hammer could do him in, but this particular beast wouldn't make a very good steak. The meat's too tough."

(OUT-OF-GAME NOTE TO ALL PLAYERS:

Dear players, if you attempt to attack my characters for any reason, please end your scene at the attempt, as Sparkie did. Phil the Drill and I discuss my characters' interactions beforehand, and what the outcome will be depending on your decision. Of course, there is always a favorable path and an unfavorable path!)

18. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Aeron heeded the great mans word. He had heard of Bouldergut... "I am sorry friend for killing what I know see as needlessly, but my taste for blood is wetted and nothing can prevent me from killing a guilty beast. I shall go southeast as you say, to destroy this foul thing. Perhaps it will not be too late to help the innocents as well..." and with that both dark killers left the graveyard and headed southeast.

Perhaps I have overestimated my current ability... Without a full release, I might not be able to... no, I am a sage and I cannot back down.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  19. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler

Standing next to Heck's freshly dug grave, it seemed to Den that Harlan's face reflected the defeat and pain of the battle as the message was delivered. After Harlan finished speaking, Den just shook his head.

"Either they're very smart or very stupid," Den said. "What kind of idiot brings large sums of money on a hunt? Really, what do they take me for?"

"I don't think they care, sir," said Harlan. "They just want what isn't theirs."

"I suppose you're right. Still, it's hard to know what to do. Fighting is no longer an option, so what are our choices?"

Harlan sighed. "I'm no coward, sir, but I say we send word back to Kaerbijin. Give the spawn his money and get Lady Moorstead back."

Den rubbed his day-old whisker growth as he replied. "Yes, but who's to say this Gunnie Mac won't kill her in the time it takes to get the money here from Overmoor? Even if the brigand gets his money there's no real assurance we'll get Dyet back in one piece."

"So what do you suggest we do, Sir?"

"The way I see it we have two options: We can either give up and send word to Dirk Moorstead of the situation, or I can meet these thieving bastards at the cemetary and tell them we have no money to give them."

"Sir, if the Baron finds out we tried to get her back ourselves, he'll know we did our best and he'll probbably spare our lives."

"Yes, but I know Dirk. When he finds out there was violence he'll give up his sister for dead and bring the wrath of Overmoor on the whole area. Dyet will die for sure in that case, if she even still lives."

"Your going to meet with these bandits, aren't you, Sir?"

Den nodded slowly. "I'm going to tell them who she really is and what her brother will do to them if she comes to harm. Even those fools must know they could not stand against a true army. I'll demand she be released into my custody, and pray we walk out of that cemetary alive."

Despite his injuries, Harlan stood straight and squared his shoulders. "I do not condone this action, Sir. But if that is your wish, I am your man to the end. I will accompany you, with your permission of course."

"Alright, then. Give what men we have left orders. If we do not return in three days time, they are to take the hounds and report to Moorstead Tower to tell of the events here."

"Yes, sir."

"Hurry, Harlan. You and I must get to the cemetary as soon as possible."

20. Legendary Sidekick

Bouldergut, the Barbarian

The hooded figure turns to me and says, "I am sorry friend for killing what I now see as needlessly, but my taste for blood is whetted and nothing can prevent me from killing a guilty beast. I shall go southeast as you say, to destroy this foul thing. Perhaps it will not be too late to help the innocents as well..."

Huh... an apology? Interesting that this warrior went from an overzealous killing machine to a calm listener. In that sense, he may very well be wiser than I thought.

"I can see you are a quick study," I tell him. "Not as thick in the skull as I was in my youth. They called me Boulderhead back then, but I have no intention to slow your hunt with a boring story.

"Instead I want to wish you well.

"Also, if it is your desire to 'help the innocents,' I would like to know your name. I may one day call upon you when I find myself in need of an ally. Whatever people may say about me, I have my limits too."