1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Endless Hunt: Season 1, The Fabulous Beast

Discussion in 'Machiavel: Ambition' started by Philip Overby, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Gunther McGraw

Den Fowler

"Den Fowler, I presume.

"Naw... I'm fulla beans. I ain't presuming since I already knew of you since the moment my little lady friend here started awaiting your rescue.

"And finally, here you are. Alone. Den Fowler. Standing just within the reach of a crossbow, which you may or may not know is something I happen to have on me.

"But you're not scared of that, are ya?

"Maybe your friend--who I was so certain would be at your side about now--well, maybe he told you about my speed with a blade. Unmatched, far as I know.

"Out west, they call me Quick-Draw McGraw. In the east, it's Mr. Lightning Claw, named from a guy who's seen me draw, cut, sheathe, and didn't even realize I had a sword. Saw my hand move, a head fly... gave me a name.

"That's why I prefer my friends call me something that don't rhyme with any of me nix-names. My friends call me Gunnie Mac."

Gunther McDraw runs his fingers through the Lady's hair.

"You know something, Fowler? You can call me, Gunnie Mac. Because you're my friend.

"We don't cry in each other's beers, but at the very least, we're friends to the extent that neither of us is about to do something stupid and get the Lady, or anyone else, killed."

* * *​

Fowler hears the blade strike the post that Lady Dyet is bound to before he sees the strands of hair falling past her face.

By the time he gets a glimpse of McGraw's sword, it's already half sheathed.

"Sorry about that, sweetheart," Gunther McGraw says to the Lady. "Didn't want your hero to think I was a braggart." Turning to Fowler, he goes on, "After all, it's not bragging if you can do it, is it?

"And if you were to tell me that you don't have the money now, but you can get it, I wouldn't call you a braggart neither.

"I believe in you, Fowler.

"I believe that you can get my ten thousand and without further bloodshed."

His expression of feigned kindness fades.

"Or am I the only optimist here?"

(Sparkie, have DEN FOWLER reply to GUNTHER McGRAW.

Have HARLAN fight THE FIRST MAN. Write his first three moves.

A move = an attack, a defense, or a movement.)

2. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Note: If you believe you have captured a bounty you can go to what I'm calling the Bounty Post. This is located outside of the main game and will mean the Season will have ended for you if you so choose to turn in your bounty. Sometimes you may have the incorrect bounty and sometimes you'll have the correct one, so be careful when you decide to end your Season.

Den Fowler

Interacting with Gunnie Mac

Harlan

Giving your sequence of events against the sleepy man (as Legendary Sidekick posted above)

Sage Auron Greymoore

Having dismantled most of the swordsmen with little effort, you find yourself covered in blood. You assume it is your enemies' blood, but as you start to move away into the shadows when they press you, you find two arrows sticking out of you. One is in your shoulder, right about your collar bone on your left side. The other is in your left calf, slowing your movement. You'll be able to still get away, if you're lucky, but ignoring all the bowmen has left you in bad shape. You are now hobbled. Also, you've probably been wounded in other places of which you don't know yet, being that you took on so many men alone, but the adrenaline is still pumping so that you haven't noticed yet.

If you are retreating, pick a direction in which you'd like to retreat. You can pick any direction.

Thames

You have a bloodied Bearmouth in your possession. You can stay here with him, interrogate him, or do what you wish. He is incapacitated and cannot do anything. Auron traveled north and Kristof now has possession of a beast (of which you don't know if it's the one from the bounty or not).

Kristof Kovacs

You are now in possession of a beast. It doesn't quite match the descriptions that have been given, but it is a close proximity. It's black, with slight purplish tinge to its fur, although it's very lean and not nearly as big as rumors put it. It really just seems like some sort of wild animal, although exotic in nature.

Nikola smiles. "This must be it."

The women in the tent are crying and whimpering. No one has freed them yet.

The little humanoid bat creature has spooked the rest of your men. One whispers: "Sir, perhaps we should capture whatever this thing is. Must be worth a fortune."

Nikola nods, seeing that this creature has Bearmouth in his possession. "Bearmouth had quite the bounty as well, sir."

Your men look to you.

(At this point you can continue on the hunt or take the beast to the Bounty Post. This is outside of the main game, and once you go to the Bounty Post, the Season is over for your character. You'll be rewarded depending on if those who offered the bounty think this is the correct beast or not. You do have the option to hunt more if you so wish.)

3. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Harlan Logerson

Harlan circled around towards the waking man to put some distance between himself and the armored guard. After moving in close enough to strike with his sword, he swung first at the man's right hand (the hand his dagger is in, I assume), then he thrust for the lout's belly...

4. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler

Den's guts were rattling inside of him, such was his fear. So he was surprised at the angry tone in his voice as he made his reply to the monster in front of him.

"Well, Gunther, I'm glad you're so proud of yourself and your skill with a blade. The epitome of masculinity, I'm sure. And, really, holding a crippled lady hostage is such a manly thing to do as well. My, won't the Council Barons be impressed. 'A man who kidnaps helpless innocents for money! How novel of him!'

"But onto the buisness at hand. As you've perceived, I've no coin with me. Getting your money would mean going back to Overmoor. Therin lies your problem, Gunther.

"You see, I cannot leave money just lying around my estate in Kaerbijin. It could be stolen so easily, you see, and there is no bank to speak of there. So I left the bulk of my assets in trust with Baron Dirk Moorstead of Overmoor. He is your problem.

"In case she hasn't told you already, the lady you've hijacked is Lady Dyet Moorstead, Baron Moorstead's sister. Aside from his son, she's the only family he has left, the only family that whose life was spared by the recent plauges. He loves her dearly, and I'd not care to imagine the fate of any man who harmed her.

"If I were to retrieve the money from Dirk, he'd find out why. Baron Moorstead has a mighty temper, Gunther, and he'd rally the Barons against you. You'd be hunted relentlessly in every Duchy. Even a kingdom such as Lorthegnar would be no refuge for you.

"And before you get any ideas about getting money out of Baron Moorstead, let me assure you: That will never happen. I know Dirk. He may love his sister, but he loves money, prestige, and honor more. He'd let her die before giving you a single copper.

"You have only one winning option, Gunther. Release the lady into my custody, unharmed, before you bring hell itself upon your head."

5. Legendary Sidekick

The Two Guards

Harlan Logerson

Harlan remembers an important tip when fighting two opponents: don't stay between them! An obvious tip, but one many skilled warriors fail to follow when they're too sure of their own skills.

He circles around the weaker opponent, disarms him, and goes for the finish...

Harlan plunges his sword into the fat man's belly.

The man in leather is rushing from behind the fat man, his short sword held overhead.

Harlan sees that the fat man--still standing--is a big enough obstacle to prevent an overhead strike from a short sword to be effective from where the remaining enemy now stands. This is just as well, as Harlan is also not quite prepared to use his blade.

His sword is deep in the belly of the dying man...

(Sparkie,

describe how HARLAN gets his sword out of the fat man,

plus one additional move.)

6. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Harlan Logerson

Gripping the hilt of his sword tightly, Harlan lifted up his right leg, put his foot next to the fat man's death wound, and kicked his victim towards the armored guard, freeing his weapon. He then held a defensive posture, waiting to see if his assailant would stumble...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Legendary Sidekick

Gunther McGraw

Den Fowler

The cocky grin melts away.

In an instant, McGraw has his crossbow aimed right between Fowler's eyes.

Fowler does not move. McGraw does not fire.

"You have courage. That, I can respect.

"What I don't understand is why you're so certain about Moorstead's willingness to sacrifice his own sister, now that you can prove she is alive.

"Do you not have the courage to face this man with the news of his sister? Not even if my instructions are that you come alone with the gold?

"You surely understand that if I return the woman to you know, I'm sure to be hunted by Moorstead and the others. So I'm not walking away empty handed.

"I'm giving you two options.

"Tell Moorstead you alone will pay me off with ten thousand and gold,

"or capture a fabulous beast and pay me off with its bounty, and should you succeed in this endeavor, we can discuss what's to be done about my being three thousand short."

McGraw seems satisfied that he's made himself clear that he wants payment. He prefers blood at the moment, but killing Fowler isn't any fun if he's just going to stand there and die.

Plus, there's a chance Fowler may still be useful.

"Consider your options as you leave my sight."

8. Legendary Sidekick

(Sparkie, have HARLAN finish the fight!)

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Harlan Logerson

Harlan allowed himself a smile as the bloodied fat man crashed into the armored guard. The attacker's short sword flew from his grasp, and the two men fell to the floor. The fat man landed belly-up on top of the guard, while the guard's head landed on a large copper cooking pan. For some reason, the pan resonated with an odd noise. It sounded a little like this...

EL-KABONG!!!

Carefully, Harlan approched his assailants. The guard beneath the fat man was knocked out cold, while the wounded man moaned, clutching his abdomen.

Harlan moved his blade under the fat man's two chins and said "You've a gut-wound there. It's only a matter of time for you now. You can either die slowly with great pain, or die quickly after telling me what I want to know."

The fat man quieted and looked up at Harlan. The look in his eyes was unmistakable. He was thinking of some way out of this.

Before Harlan could say anything to the man, he made his move. With great speed for a man his size, he grabbed Harlan's blade and jammed it into his own jugular. Without breathing, the fat man spat blood toward Harlan, a final act of defiance. He expired within a minute.

Halan stood, mouth open, staring at the man's corpse for awhile. Then the body beneath the dead man began to stir. When the guard opened his eyes, the tip of Harlan's sword was the first thing he saw. "Start talking," Harlan said. "Where's the lady?"

10. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron leapt away through the trees, slightly hindered by the stump of an arrow, towards the camp he had sent Thames to...

(out of character... Where in blue blazes did arrows come from if I specifically said, I took out the archers first! WHAAAAAAAT?! No actually not a big deal at all. I just thought it was funny.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  11. Philip Overby

(I noted if you just attacked full force, that you would potentially get wounded. So in the scuffle, you were hit. If there are four archers shooting arrows at you, you're more than likely going to get hit before you reach them all.)

Here's my original post concerning the fight:

The bowmen all nock their bows. One screams, "Put your weapons down! You're surrounded!"

(You outmatch these men in combat skill, but depending on your choices in this battle, you can become seriously injured because you are outnumbered. As of now you have two swordsmen and four archers to contend with. You can write this fight scene as you wish, but be careful as one wrong choice may cause you serious injury. I will discuss the aftermath of the battle when you have finished writing it.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

That's fine I just wondered, "Oh... guess I got hit. :)" I suppose I did...

13. Philip Overby

Please everyone check out the The Endless Hunt: Info Thread for news concerning end of Season 1 rewards, skill improvements, and the announcement of Season 2.

Den Fowler

You are left with two options: try to venture after the beast or return to Overmoor with the bad news. Harlan is still somewhere in the camp.

Harlan

You finish off the two men and are left alone in abandoned church. (You are unaware of the deal made between Fowler and McGraw so you are free to explore the camp further. It isn't much of a camp, with a couple of tents scattered about and ashes of a fire as night starts to come. You can't see much in the dark, so any attempt to look around may lead you somewhere you don't want to go. You can look at the tents or creep closer to the fire or abandon the search and leave the camp or investigate the church further

Sage Auron Greymoore and Thames

Although wounded, you make it back to the camp to find Thames, who also has suffered a wound. He has the man marked on the bounty board, Bearmouth, in his custody. You weren't pursued by any men.

(Feel free to interact with Thames as you wish. If you want to continue hunting for a beast, you can travel in any direction you wish, just let me know which way. If you want to end the hunt you can go to the Bounty Post and claim your reward. In doing so, you will end the hunt and will not be able to return.)

Kristof Kovacs

Your men have secured the beast so it will not be able to escape. (You have the option to continue hunting or return to Bounty Post which will end the hunt.

Note: Season 1 ends on Feb. 28th. Please make all arrangements before then. You can continue hunting until that point, but once the 28th comes, you must go to the Bounty Post and collect your rewards

14. Philip Overby

15. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Greymoore and Thames - The Seperate Paths (again)

Aeron walked, more like hobbling, towards Thames who was now perched atop a very angry big baffoon.
    As he approached Thames began to speak to the big prisoner. Aeron only caught the last piece of their dialogue, "...Ssssso I would keep a ssscivil tongue if I wasssss you..." Aeron had to stifle a laugh at the mans reaction to Thames' unhooded face. Much like that of a man Thames had an angular head. He had large bat-like ears and the stumpy blunt nose of one too. His eyes were a dark yellow with a slit that seemed divide the eye into two pieces. He was terrifying to the unprepared. Bearmouth, as Aeron suspected the prisoner was he, was babling and beyond his wits when Aeron came up.

"Ar.. uh.. I.. Soooo, you're actually THE Third Sage??? I thought the Sages were legends, fables invented to scare children." Aeron smiled back and rolled up his sleeves to show the Alchemetic symbols and rings, as well as pulling his hood back and displaying his eyes. They were grey but upon further inspection one would see that Aeron Greymoore had two pupils in each eye. This was the mark of a sage, the first was there from birth, the second from some strange ritual or something... Bearmouth didn't know, he just knew he was looking at a horror.

"So how much is he worth?" Aeron did not turn but he seemed to hear a speech that Bearmouth could not. "Alright... You'll turn him in. You are more than enough to turn in a small time this to the proper people. I will remain here to search for the monster, the true beast, for a while longer. I'll return to the Council soon, after all it is time for my appointment..." With an air of finality Aeron strood away to the small tent Thames had prepared and began to see to his wounds.

Thames prodded Bearmouth and headed out from camp...

BOUNTY POST:
    Thames of Greymoore captured
    Otis "Bearmouth" Waley
    Wanted ALIVE
    REWARD:
    1,000 k​

16. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler

Walking away from his meeting with Gunther McGraw, Den's face and eyes were red. He shook his head back and forth, cursing under his breath. He headed in the direction of the old church. He had to speak with Harlan...

17. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Harlan Logerson

With both of his assailants dead, Harlan examined his surroundings. Was this church just a makeshift barracks, or was there something here worth guarding?

18. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore (one Dweller short of a full party)

The fact that the scum had recognized him slightly disturbed Aeron. The Sages were not supposed to be believed, they were shadows that only arose to defeat the most ancient and powerful of enemies. Aeron was only a young one, not even on the council, but he was the Third Sage still... No, that will have to wait. I am the shadows. Stealth is what is key now. Aeron still had a slightly mangled step, but could move at his fastest speeds again. He leapt from tree to tree, heading back towards the graveyard to pick up the beast's trail.

19. Philip Overby

Thames

(Since I'm not entirely sure what Thames looks like, I'm assuming he's big enough and humanoid enough to turn in a bounty without people thinking he's some kind of creature? He'll most likely be identified as some kind of creature if he just walks around openly without a disguise.)

Den Fowler

As you're leaving the camp, unsure of what the future holds for Lady Dyet, you find Harlan leaving the old church you asked him to investigate. He's covered in blood, but you're not sure who's. Luckily, Gunnie Mac doesn't have any guards here at the moment as they all ran away to investigate something else earlier. Though you do hear voices nearby, so there might be other guards in the area. Harlan looks a bit forlorn as well.

Sage Auron Greymoore

You head back towards the graveyard that Bouldergut had advised you not to go to earlier, and you see two men outside of the abandoned church. They don't look like the men you encountered earlier. (actually I'm not sure what you guys look like).

You can approach them, continue in a different direction, or try to sneak into the graveyard past them. (There is a wrought iron gate that surrounds the graveyard, which is about eight feet tall that would be difficult to climb being that your leg is wounded. Keep in mind that your leg is wounded and you won't have full range of movement for the rest of this Season. You're not severely wounded, but you can't jump and running is out of the question. However, you can walk without too much difficulty.)

Kristof Kovacs

Awaiting decision concerning the beast.

20. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Thames is humanoid and wears a cloak to disguise against children of the flesh.