1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Endless Hunt: Season 1, The Fabulous Beast

Discussion in 'Machiavel: Ambition' started by Philip Overby, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

???

Den Fowler, Harlan Logerson and Sage Aeron Greymoore

Den and Harlan are each relieved to see the other alive. It seems that the blood-soaked Harlan is only covered in someone else's blood.

Sage Greymoore appears, now limping as his left leg was struck by an arrow. Yet, aside from the odd step, he walks swiftly for a wounded man.

(Sparkie, Sage, feel free to have your characters interact. I'll give you something to talk about: )

All three of the men hear rustlings from the west and northeast. They are standing in the graveyard; the abandoned church is nearby.

(Possible moves
    1. stay in the graveyard
    2. go into the church
    3. head north, past the church, into an open field
    4. head west, the direction in which Gunnie Mac is headed
    5. head east, on a path the may or may not lead to whatever is approaching from the northeast
    6. head south, into the thicket

​You have time to discuss your options...
    )

2. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron stood, cloak billowing around him, hood concealing his face. His hands were ready but he sensed no malice from the two. "I am Aeron Greymoore, the Third Sage. I seek the so called fabulous beast. I see you also are hunters in search of the brute." Aeron threw back his hood, and looked each man in the eye, his double pupils staring at each as if he could see into their very minds. "Shall we go hunting?"

3. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

(Note: Season 1 will be ending in 5 days. I'm hoping to get level-ups done by Feb. 28th or 29th so players who want to jump right into Season 2 can do so. Once again, info regarding the end of Season 1 is listed in the Info Thread. Let's wrap up this Season! Hope you enjoyed it! :)

Also we'll be posting in-game rewards and such in this thread. When we do level-ups, we'll correspond via private message and then I'll pass the information on to Legendary Sidekick for Season 2.)

4. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den Fowler, Harlan Logerson

Den eyed the mysterious stranger and said "Well met, Aeron.

"We too seek the beast, but for an honorable purpose. We need the beast to ransom a Lady in dire need of rescue. Her captor demands money or the beast. We need the beast, or the Lady will die.

"Will you aid us, Greymoore? The Lady's brother, Baron Dirk Moorstead, will be sure to show you his favor in return..."

5. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Aeron Greymoore

"For the Lady I care not. Only the beast. But if my endevors and yours as well can aid the woman as well and I can have the beast in my grasp, I will be content. Where do propose we search?"

6. Legendary Sidekick

Overheard Conversation

Sage Aeron Greymoore, Den Fowler, Harlan Logerson

From the west...

"I can't believe Gunnie's sending us back to the church."

"Well, who's the idiot who left it there?"

"None of us were guarding the place! It's not our fault..."

From the northeast...

Leaves rustle with each step...

Again, your choices:
    1. Stay in the graveyard?
    2. Go into the church?
    3. Head north, into an open field?
    4. Head west, in the direction of Gunnie's men?
    5. Head east, down a path?
    6. Head south, into a thicket?

7. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Den scratched his chin. "Well, Sage, I'm not sure where to look, really. We had to leave our dogs behind, and we have no real leads."

Den pointed toward the old church. "Harlan," he said, "did you find anything in there?"

"I didn't really look, Sir."

"What? Why not?"

Harlan seemed about to reply when he froze. "Do you two hear that?" he asked.

"I hear it," Den said. "Someone's coming. Harlan, find a spot inside the church. Sage, we're going to wait inside the church. If the men pass by, we'll search the place. If they go inside, we'll be waiting in ambush. You can join us, or do as you please."

8. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

"Very well... I shall join you." Aeron followed them into the church.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Overheard Conversation

Sage Aeron Greymoore, Den Fowler & Harlan Logerson

Sage Aeron Greymoore feels a sharp pain in his leg. He stumbles... then almost instinctively reaches for what appears to be a walking stick at first glance. But it's not a stick, it's a handle. He grabs the object and discovers a spear. In fact, there are two!

Den Fowler is about to comment on Sage's discovery, but he notices something on one of the pews. Two crossbows and two quivers with 20 bolts each!

(You have obtained 2 SPEARS and 2 CROSSBOWS.)

Outside the church, you can hear the men.

"Well where do you think it would be?"

"I suppose there's only one place you'd keep anything of value in a church."

"You mean the safe?"

"No, you idiot!"

That's four voices... different from the two voices overheard a minute ago. They're coming closer, about to head inside.

Where does each hunter await Gunnie's men?
    1. by the door
    2. behind the altar
    3. somewhere in the rows of pews
    4. inside a confessional booth - there are two, one on the west side of the pews and one on the east side

What is the weapon of choice for each hunter?
    1. your own sword(s)
    2. a spear
    3. a crossbow

10. Philip Overby

(Countdown to the end of Season 1. Three days remaining. I will post the results of the Season on February 28th and send private messages regarding your level-ups. Then you're free to join in on the Season 2 thread. Sorry, I haven't been posting much, for some reason I haven't been able to access the site very often recently. Some kind of error.)

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Harlan grabbed a spear and stood to one side of the door. Den grabbed a crossbow and bolts and hid behind one of the pews, ready to pop up and take a few potshots...

12. Legendary Sidekick

(Giving Grey Sage time to respond...)

(Phil, I also had trouble getting on last night, and just now, I had to use the "go advanced" feature to read Sparkie's post!)

13. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron leapt to the rafters, with difficulty, using a series of butresses as stairs and crouched with his swords drawn. His hands blazed with anticipation.

edit- using makeshift stairs

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. Legendary Sidekick

(The rafters are ~30 feet high.

Please keep in mind that we're playing this game in Ravana's world, so we have to stick to the humanly possible. Phil and I both prefer to write light, unrealistic fantasy with superhuman characters, so this a challenge for us, too!

Again, here are the choices so I can move the scene forward:

Where does Grey Sage await Gunnie's men with his swords drawn?
    • by the door
    • behind the altar
    • somewhere in the rows of pews
    • running back and forth across the aisle making futile attempts to break Super Mario's high jump record

Hopefully, option #4 is taken as a joke, not scathing sarcasm, which is not my intent. I normally write a character who accidentally jumped into planetary orbit and nearly killed himself trying to see how high he could jump, so I completely understand the difficulty of adjusting to "realistic" writing.)

15. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

I posted a hopefully passable edit. :)

16. Legendary Sidekick

Gunnie's Men x 8

(Sage, I'll give it to you... but you'll have to write your half of the battle scene in a way that your position works to your advantage. Since you didn't take one of my choice positions or a ranged weapon, there isn't a default advantage to your starting point. Just do your best to write a believable scene, keep your allies in mind, and I'll tell you whether you made it through the battle unscathed.

Sparkie, Sage, I'm satisfied with your ambush positions enough to say the battle will be in your favor and that Gunnie's men are desperate enough to try to rush you. As time is short, I'm going to run this battle Phil the Drill style. Meaning, you write the scene, and I'll tell you whether or not things worked out as well as you though they did.

Write for your hunter(s) only. Regarding the other player's hunter(s), you may write what you expect him/them to do to back you up. Bear in mind we have:
    • HARLAN by the door with a spear,
    • DEN behind a pew with a crossbow,
    • and SAGE above the aisle with two swords.
    I'll write a couple of lines, and let you guys each tell your part of the story.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harlan Logerson, Den Fowler, Sage Aeron Greymoore

A hooded man enters the church.

His eyes meet Harlan's.

"The stash!" he shouts in a panic as he reaches for his blade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Whoever writes first, continue where I left off. Stop writing as soon as the 4th enemy falls.

Whoever writes second, finish the battle. You decide whether any of the bandits are spared.)

Sparkie likes this.
  17. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

Sage Aeron Greymoore

Aeron slashed at the wall, removing a heavy brick from its moorings. He hefted the brick and hit the first man directly in the face. Already moving after his projectile, he scaled down the wall halfway and lept, swords forward, into the next man in line. A sword came swinging at his head and he ducked below its range. Pulling his blades from the second man's chest, he slashed out at the swordsman. The big man moved inside the attack and cut Aeron's thigh, not a deep wound but serious. The sage twisted behind the man and thrust both blades backwards right into the broad back of his opponent.

Turning to the other bandit, who had been blocked by his fellows till now, Aeron got a shock. Staring down the bolt of a crossbow he had only enough time to throw himself forward, before the arrow ripped past his shoulder. Aeron's hand shot out and touched the wall next to his attacker. He slid past the archer and reached out. He pulled the wall, creating a spike, and drove it staight into the 4th man's head.

Losing blood, Aeron got up and used his enemy's shirt as a bandage for his thigh. Hobbling past the downed men, he heard shouting behind him. He ran fast inside as fast he could go, and saw his allies coming out towards the entrance...

18. Philip Overby

(Everyone is free to carry on with the action scene here, but I will be sending PMs today on level-ups you have received for completing Season 1. When the day and action is complete, Legendary Sidekick and I will post in-game rewards (bounties, gifts, etc.) for the individual characters. Please check your PMs for level-ups today and forward your updated character to Legendary Sidekick and myself for use in Season 2. Thanks!)

19. The Grey Sage

The Grey Sage Troubadour

The Second Sage

Second Sage Dire Munlith stood outside the church. His large cape blew in the wind as he watched the dissapointing 'Third Sage' do his usually reckless and distastful battle. He has no sense of style, no grace or prowess. I suppose he is strong, but his technique is horrible...

Stepping past all the remaining bandits, who glanced in shock as he passed, Dire made his way to Aeron.
    Standing over his once failed pupil he glared down in disgust. In his growling tones he reproached the young man, "As always, I have to come rescue you from some disaster... You are weak compared to the rest of the council. At least you have brains enough to stay silent when spoken to." Dire hoisted aeron on his back and strode out of the church. "The council demands your presence... immediately. You being sent on another errand..." With those last words the two dissapeared into the gathering mists...

...TO BE CONTINUED IN SEASON 2!

20. Philip Overby

Den Fowler

Fighting off the men, you escape the church unscathed. You look around for Sage, but he is nowhere to be found. Unable to retrieve any bounty, you are left empty-handed to pay off Lady Dyet's ransom. Gunnie's men can still be heard yelling and hollering in the background.

Just at that moment a falcon swoops down out of the sky, a tiny note clutched in his talons. It drops the note without landing anywhere.

The note simply says:

Riches can be found elsewhere. Roku-Roku Island.

You don't know who sent the mysterious note, but it could be worth investigating.

(Consult with Legendary Sidekick if interested in SEASON 2)

Sage Auron Greymoore

Thames returns to you with the bounty for 1,000 k for capturing Bearmouth. He doesn't mention anything about anyone being suspicious about your appearance.

You disappear to wherever Dire Munlith is taking you.

(You can use the 1,000 k to buy limited supplies if wanted. Consult with Legendary Sidekick for Season 2)

Kristof Kovacs

You go back to Bounty Post with the beast in tow, feeling exhausted from your journey. A sickness seems to be still clinging to you, off and on. When arriving at the Bounty Post with the malnutritioned beast, the old man giving out money eyeballs you.

"This some kind of joke?" He scoffs at the beast. "Looks like an animal to me, not no demon!"

Nicola shrugs. "This is the beast regardless . We've never seen anything like this."

The old man spits. "Fine." He plops down 5,000 k. "This is more money than we can afford here, but a job's a job."

"The bounty's 7 k!" Nicola points his finger in the man's face.

The old man sneers. "You're lucky I'm giving you this for this withered old cat. Now piss off."

(You receive 5,000 k and can use the money for what you like. Consult with Legendary Sidekick if you're interested in SEASON 2)

This concludes Season 1 if the Endless Hunt. Thanks everyone again for making this a success. I hope we can gather more players in the future and tune up the game so it's easier and more fun to play. Legendary Sidekick will be posting in-game rewards that you can carry over to Season 2. Cheers!

Sparkie likes this.