• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Fallen or the fallen?

Hi,

Just a quick question.It's too late to change anything of course so its just for interest sake. But in my last book I dealt with angels. I divided them into three groups. The Choir, the Fallen, and the Walkers. Now the Choir I took as a proper noun so I was happy to capitalise it. But I didn'tsee the fallen and the walkers in the same way, so I really didn't want to.

Anyway my editor told me off about it, all three are now capitalised and in print. But I still feel as if I made a mistake.

So what are your views? Are the "Fallen" and the "Walkers" proper collective nouns?

Cheers, Greg.

Asterisk

Troubadour
If they refer to a specific group of individuals, as opposed to just a general category, then yes, it should be capitalized.

I agree. From what I read, it sounds like the "Fallen" and the "Walkers" proper collective nouns.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Titles are capitalized, types are lower case. If they are called "The Fallen," then that is their title.

Sounds like you're thinking of them as just adjectives, that a few folks use informally about them as opposed to the proper Order Of Angels that the Choir are. If you want to go with that, make it clear. Someone might even try to treat them as proper groups and someone else shouts them down to say they're just rabble, should never be dignified with a word that makes them sound more important than they are.