• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Intro

Gospodin

Troubadour
So much to live up to in these intros... Do I just say hi? Do I wax rhapsodic? Choices, choices... :D

I'm in the beginning stages of an Urban Fantasy piece and it's newish territory for me. I'm more comfortable with Bussard ramjets and Science Fiction settings. Fantasy imposes a new set of rules, a new expectation, and a new topography to learn. A friend of mine at a different writing forum turned me on to this place, so here I am. ;)

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Welcome to the forums, Gospodin.

A number of people here are working with urban fantasy, myself included, so you're in good company. I hope you enjoy the forums and find them helpful. It's a fantasy community, but we're not adverse to someone tossing one of Dr. Bussard's engines into the works now and again.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Gospodin
It is good to have you here.
Leap on in when you have half a mind.
[and I had to look up Bussard ramjet]

Gospodin

Troubadour
Welcome to the forums, Gospodin.

A number of people here are working with urban fantasy, myself included, so you're in good company. I hope you enjoy the forums and find them helpful. It's a fantasy community, but we're not adverse to someone tossing one of Dr. Bussard's engines into the works now and again.

Hail and well met Gospodin
It is good to have you here.
Leap on in when you have half a mind.
[and I had to look up Bussard ramjet]

Many thanks to you both for friendly greetings and warm pressings of hands. :) So, as I stroll about and stick my head into open doors and windows in this new country where things are at once familiar and yet charmingly different, two questions come to mind:

1) Where does one give critique to works on offer from the community?
2) What are the requirements for posting one's own offering for critique?

I'm a law-abiding fellow and like to get started on the right foot. :wink:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Gospodin:

You can post work for critique and comment in the Showcase sub-forum, and also review work from other members there. You have to have five posts before you can access that sub-forum. There aren't any strict requirements, other than having five posts for access, though you'll usually get more value from the showcase if you approach it on a quid pro quo basis.

The only thing that is verboten is discussion/debate over contemporary politics (like arguing over the 2016 U.S. elections, for example). Other subject matter likely to lead to insults, etc. like religious discussion, abstract political discussion (like gender politics in fiction) should be approached with sensitivity and the discussion should bear some relation to an actual writing question.

Forum guidelines are here:
http://mythicscribes.com/forums/news-and-announcements/9-forum-guidelines.html

Welcome, again.

Gospodin

Troubadour
Gospodin:

You can post work for critique and comment in the Showcase sub-forum, and also review work from other members there. You have to have five posts before you can access that sub-forum. There aren't any strict requirements, other than having five posts for access, though you'll usually get more value from the showcase if you approach it on a quid pro quo basis.

Excelent. Thanks for directing me to the correct table. As you know already, I'm very pro quid, and if the quo comes, terrific, but it's all about the quid for me. ;)

The only thing that is verboten is discussion/debate over contemporary politics (like arguing over the 2016 U.S. elections, for example). Other subject matter likely to lead to insults, etc. like religious discussion, abstract political discussion (like gender politics in fiction) should be approached with sensitivity and the discussion should bear some relation to an actual writing question.

Forum guidelines are here:
http://mythicscribes.com/forums/news-and-announcements/9-forum-guidelines.html

Welcome, again.

Would that I had my druthers in other lands as regards this dynamic... :eek: