1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Kilvikasa Tiki Lounge - Open Discussion and Idle Chatter

Discussion in 'Mythic Archipelago' started by Telcontar, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Telcontar

Telcontar Staff Moderator

Howdy folks! Welcome to the lounge. This thread is for pretty much anything you want to talk about concerning the Archipelago that doesn't really merit it's own thread.

If you didn't know yet, Kilvikasa is a large city on Emperor Island that acts as a trade hub for nearly the entire Archipelago. Thus, it is a fitting place for us all to meet and talk!

I'll start us off: Did anything specific spark your island ideas? Mine was a picture of the various Karst landscapes found around the world. I thought they were so beautiful and intriguing that I started dreaming up a massive karst landscape formation which eventually became the home of the Niel and the entrance to the Deep (which itself was partially inspired by the game Dwarf Fortress, and because I love caverns and deep, deep places of the earth).

2. WyrdMystic

WyrdMystic Inkling

For some reason I assumed that most islands would be thriving so I decided to go for a smaller rock with only one inhabitant. I knew from the start I wanted to write it like a story rather than exposition, as that's how I do my world building anyway, and Garth was the image that just popped into my head.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  3. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

In the original incarnation of this project I imagined a forked river flowing from a mountain range out to the sea in the far east. From here I knew that a settlement would be found at the point the river splits--this was the earliest form of the city Cabhairau. After this? I simply build upon what ever comes to my head first, using the restrictions I've already laid down in previous building sessions as a challenge to reconcile any holes that may appear.

Geography has played a pretty big part in Eastern Emperor Island. It spawned the three nations in fact.

I would love for some extra input of course ;)

4. Telcontar

I was very interested to see your start, WyrdMystic. That's the first time I've seen somebody dive in with a narrative rather than going the Encyclopedic route. I hope it works out well!

WyrdMystic likes this.
  5. WyrdMystic

WyrdMystic Inkling

Thanks. I've been a bit slow in continuing as I've entered the sidekick challenge and have my own stuff too. I know where its going though and will probably need to interact with another island soon. Hope people will enjoy reading it! :)

6. Raziel

Raziel Minstrel

Well, this sounds interesting for a weapon I thought.

A mystical Crossbow cannon. Basically it would fire orbs of magic. Such as red one's being incindiary. The white colored ones would be frost. Etc. The major drawback to it would be that the orbs are very volatile and they can go off easily which means during shipping or while loading.

I would like to do something for this thread. I already have a scenario idea; A shipwreck on one of the islands, some bandits come across the chest containing the weapon. They cannot open it as hard as they try.

This sounds like it fits the rules so let me know what you think. Take it easy and good writing!

Raziel

7. Telcontar

Having this powerful weapon as a rarely-found remnant of an ancient civilization might work. I think it sounds too strong to have as something produced by any current kingdom. "Handle with Care" is a drawback, but not a sufficient one unless you stress that these things are so volatile that they blow up the people using them as often as the enemy they are used on.

8. Meteora

Meteora Dreamer

Silly question. I was wondering, not that it particularly affects the world, but how many moons are there orbiting the world? Is the world orbiting a singular or binary star? The sky is presumably the same as Earth, being sky blue and all right?

9. Telcontar

Single star, certainly. We're not going Tatooine over here. :)

As for moon, I'm not sure it's ever come up - but yes, I believe we'll probably just go with only one moon, fairly similar to what we have here on earth. At least start with that, if you need to mention a moon. We may have a group discussion on the subject a bit later.

10. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

Well if we want to borrow from the previous Archipelago we had one moon (well there used to be two). We could just use the the two of them?

11. Telcontar

Ah hah, now I remember that! It was actually what gave me the inspiration for the Star Fall event. I don't see any problem with having one-and-a-half moons. A fairly standard moon like our own, then the orbiting remnants of another. Thoughts?

12. uknowitbeb

uknowitbeb Dreamer

How do I sign up to join? This all sounds very interesting.

13. Telcontar

Check out the Introduction Post. It contains all the info you'll need to get started.