• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Layers of Motivation

Addison

Auror
Last night I was reading "Now Write! Mysteries", and came across a section about motivation that really struck home and needed to share.

Valerie Storey wrote, "When we- or our characters- want something, we don't really want the actual thing as much as we want the feeling attached to the object or desired goal.".

Last night I took that quote to heart, re-examined my story and the characters. Staying up late into the night I had revised character background, plot points, obstacles and outcomes. Prior to reading that quote and doing that work I was feeling stale and worn out about my story. (Y' know, you've gone over it so many times you're sick of it) After the work I was energized and ready to apply the changes to the story. Heck some of the feelings I have the characters pursuing, whether they were the main plot or sub-plot, are so basic that they don't even know they want them. Same applies in real life.

The "why" of motivation goes beyond "It's their job." "They're the only one close enough to do anything." etc. Writers need to ask what is the feeling the character is attached to that both motivates him/her to (do plot) and keep them from leaving the setting.

Once you uncover the motive you uncover the character's feelings through various aspects of their life: appearance, relationships, specific interests and knowledge, dreams and hopes for the future, etc. Knowing and exploiting these deep feelings will make the character real live persons through consistent choices, actions, and a good opponent or target for a villain. The more you let characters act on those feelings, the more interesting they will be for you to write about and for readers to enjoy.

The book gave exercises to uncover the motive and peel back/add layers to the motive and-as extension-the character.
1. Make three lists; one for the hero, one for the villain, one for primary victim (or side character).
2. Identify your main story goal for each of the characters.
3. What will achieving that goal make the character feel?
4. Why isn't the character feeling that way now?
5. Has the character ever had that desired feeling before?
6. If so, how many times? When was the first time?
7. Why does he/she want that particular feeling? What's the importance of it?
8. When and how was the feeling taken away?
9. What bad feeling does the character want to avoid?
10. Brainstorm a list of people, places, things or desires the character might want in addition to the main story goal. Isolate the feelings that go with each want.

As a closing note the entire book was an incredible help. I highly recommend it. Happy Writing. :)