1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The perils of novels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by skip.knox, Feb 20, 2021.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

This from Ray Bradbury in 2010

"A novel has all kinds of pitfalls because it takes longer and you are around people, and if you’re not careful you will talk about it. "

2. Electric Bone Flute

Electric Bone Flute Minstrel

Talking about unfinished projects somehow leads to it not getting done, for some reason. I can't talk about nine-minute music pieces, only three minute ones, or else they will never get done. Funny enough, I just finished a seven-minute piece, and it helps that I never talked about it.

Gurkhal likes this.
  3. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

I think a series of novels has even more pitfalls.

4. Mad Swede

Mad Swede Sage

I'm not sure. In many ways I prefer writing long stories, despite my dyslexia. I feel there's more opportunity to develop the story, the settings and the characters. I think Bradbury was right when he implied that the story would develop and change as the author wrote it. I think it does, certainly mine do, and in some ways its like my characters have a life of their own when I'm not looking and writing. I think this is a good thing, because it gives a flexibility to develop the story if something interesting develops as you write. That said, I think you need some self discipline to ensure that your writing doesn't get totally derailed by some tangent you're following. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing short stories as well, but they have their own challenges.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  5. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Maester

Talking about my novel(s) in progress actually helps me come up with new ideas for them.