• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The perils of novels

Talking about unfinished projects somehow leads to it not getting done, for some reason. I can't talk about nine-minute music pieces, only three minute ones, or else they will never get done. Funny enough, I just finished a seven-minute piece, and it helps that I never talked about it.

Mad Swede

Auror
I'm not sure. In many ways I prefer writing long stories, despite my dyslexia. I feel there's more opportunity to develop the story, the settings and the characters. I think Bradbury was right when he implied that the story would develop and change as the author wrote it. I think it does, certainly mine do, and in some ways its like my characters have a life of their own when I'm not looking and writing. I think this is a good thing, because it gives a flexibility to develop the story if something interesting develops as you write. That said, I think you need some self discipline to ensure that your writing doesn't get totally derailed by some tangent you're following. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy writing short stories as well, but they have their own challenges.