• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Scourge

The night is dark.

Deep within the forested mountains of Slushland, a lone figure creeps silently through an old house.

The moon shines brightly, but shies away from the upper floors of this rickety abode.

The figure sits. In front of him sits a device of untold power. A portal to a world where the only limit, for good or ill, is imagination.

He reaches for the device, slowly, carefully, and...

Click.

KAHAKARHRHRKARHKRHssccscccsccREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHTGHFASHSHASAHSAFSAFJANGDONOHOEDGABFSABASFBAGABGBAGKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

This is a PSA about dial-up Internet, reminding you that over 10% of the United States of America lacks Internet service faster than dial-up. In fact, there are entire countries that have to listen to that annoying sound every day. For example, in Indonesia, high-speed Internet is limited to the social elite, and confined to rich neighborhoods in Jakarta.

What would it take to give everybody faster Internet?
Not much. DSL, which is quickly becoming obsolete but is still over ten times faster than dial-up, piggybacks on existing phone lines. To provide DSL service, an Internet Provider only has to install an access station within 5 to 10 miles of the customer.

Well, if they haven't done it, it's probably because access stations are expensive.
Do me a favor. Go to the store and buy a modem. They come in boxes that say things like Cicso, LinkSys, or Netgear on them. Go home, open the box, and plug it in. Congratulations! You just set up an access station!

Access stations only exist to renew your signal as it fades over long distances, so it can reach back to the Internet Provider's offices. Granted, industrial access stations are more expensive than a storebought modem, but not so expensive that a company like Verizon couldn't afford to put an access station in range of everybody in the USA.

Okay, so why don't they?
Smartphones.

Companies like Verizon have switched almost all of their resources to developing faster service and Internet access for Smartphones. In fact, by doing so, Verizon voided on at least three contracts to provide Internet service to rural areas in the USA, and is currently still involved in a lawsuit with at least one state (Slushland/Vermont).

Unfortunately, as long as they continue to stall the lawsuit, they don't have to do anything. In fact, that was probably their goal once they realized they didn't actually want to go through with the agreement. They don't have to win the lawsuit; they just have to stall it until it becomes too expensive for Vermont to continue.

For those of you not from the USA, yes, you read that correctly. A corporation is spending millions of dollars to start a war of attrition with an entire state, taking advantage of the fact that the economic troubles will prevent said state from bringing all their chips to the table, in order to get out of doing something they said they'd do in 2008.
pj60pcuk5x51ulz0h7ft.png

But moooooom, I don't wanna take out the trash...

Wow, this is terrible! What can we do to help.
Heck, I don't know. I'm just venting.

This has been a PSA courtesy of Plot & Holio Corp.

P.S. For those of you who ARE from the United States of America and are wondering why I don't just call it the United States, it's because I like reminding people that there is, in fact, another United States right next door.
mexico-flag.gif

The United States... of Mexico.

MV5BMTQ4NzIzMDAxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIyMTI2MQ@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

For the red, the white... ...and the green.

Last edited: