• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The trespasser

Nihal

Vala
Hey, look! I didn't introduce myself, what a surprise.

I'm not a writer. I like books, above all, I like stories no matter what format they come in. Books, comics, animes, movies, games, everything.

I wish to tell a story. More than one, actually. But I am no writer, sometimes I write for fun, however it's a painful processs and I'm assure you it's not in English, I'm lazy and my English sucks. I can read in English and understand it, the last novels I've read were in English (including the whole Game of Thrones series), however when it comes to build sentences mine are wrong and sounds funny.

My English sucks because I'm lazy and it's not my mother language. I am a brazilian. You know, those mysterious people who laugh "HUAHEUHAUEHIHUAHUEI" and say "money plssss" when playing MMOs? They're not related to me, I swear!

I am also a woman. Those stunning, curvy and copper-skinned brazilian women? I'm not one of them. I'm an adult often taken for a teenager because I'm petite, light-weight and almost flat as a boy. Also, my skin is so pale that even people here thinks I'm an outsider - but I don't get sunburnt and I love 30ºC+ temperatures.

I earn my life drawing. I've been working with games for the last two years, creating concepts and promo art. I'm not the best yet, but I'm happy with the way I've come so far. I'm obsessed with perfection, for me it's not worth my time if I'm not trying my best.

That means that eventually I'm going to become a decent writer. It can take 10, 20 years, I don't care. I already know if there is no pain there is no gain, drawing taught me that. I only hope this topic was a good start and my evil experiment worked, getting you puzzled enough to keep reading until now. Yay!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Welcome Nihal
Well.. you already know the place a little... So... [looks round nervously and fidgets]
Hello and nice to meet you.
English is my mother tongue and I suck at it too.
Your English seems perfectly good to me... at least is not [shudder] America...
[The only Brazilian I've met in the last year spoke was a Professor with a German accent so go figure...]

Nihal

Vala
Hello, CupofJoe! That's amazing, I'm talking to a cup! Hah, I'm sure our accent is funny, English is so full of "arrllll" "orll" sounds to us.

In our defense, it's also funny to hear an english-speaker talking in portuguese. Our language is rather complicate and words often have feminine and masculine versions - like rider, whe always know if it's a male or female by changing a single letter: cavaleiro, cavaleira -, which English speakers don't use. Things like "o cavaleira" happens (where "o" is "the" for males, but "cavaleira" is a female rider).

Xaysai, I have the theory that we are just so many, everywere, that it's easier to stumble upon a idiot. u.u

Anyway...
23302147.jpg

Jaredonian

Dreamer
Hello, fellow newbie. The thing to remember as a new writer is that it doesn't necessarily matter if your sentences sound funny or you read over what you wrote and think "Was I having a seizure while I wrote this?" Take heart, because first drafts aren't meant to read well. If you can write your whole story (in your own language or not), when you're done the first draft and start editing you can take all those sloppy sentences are replace them with shiny new models that you've taken the time to get right. Just don't let the bad writing stop you from doing any writing.

Also, checked out your deviantart link there, you've definitely got some artistic talent to work with. I think the desert landing pic was my favourite out of the ones I saw.

Last edited:

Nihal

Vala
Hey Nihal, I like your attitude. Welcome!
My attitude? Like... Being crazy? Well, thanks!

Brother! Join me in my quest for world domination!
I'm a sister. *looks down* Yes, I am. And the world shall be mine and mine alone, mwahahaha! I'm going to allow you to be my minion, okay?

Hello, fellow newbie. The thing to remember as a new writer is that it doesn't necessarily matter if your sentences sound funny or you read over what you wrote and think "Was I having a seizure while I wrote this?" Take heart, because first drafts aren't meant to read well. If you can write your whole story (in your own language or not), when you're done the first draft and start editing you can take all those sloppy sentences are replace them with shiny new models that you've taken the time to get right. Just don't let the bad writing stop you from doing any writing.

Also, checked out your deviantart link there, you've definitely got some artistic talent to work with. I think the desert landing pic was my favourite out of the ones I saw.

When reading something I wrote a time ago, if by chance it's in English this kind of thought won't occur. I'm going to be as bad as before, haha, and unable to spot the mistakes. The only exception is the when I'm unable to edit something - like my previous post there, full of mistakes. At the time I wrote it I couldn't go, edit the post and fix them.

I'm glad you liked my work. Pssst, drawing isn't a kind of a talent, just a different set of skills you must train in the same way you must train your writing.