1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Wheel of Time (Amazon) (Spoiler Thread)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by FifthView, Nov 19, 2021.

1. FifthView

FifthView Vala

I've also noticed that Game of Thrones, in comparison, would flip through multiple locations, sets of characters, in any given episode, but Wheel of Time felt much more locked in to only two or three locations/sets of character. I've wondered if this was a cost-saving move, a failure of imagination, a failure of storytelling—no dots to connect elsewhere, heh—or what. This limited the development of context and interest.

For instance, Mat just disappeared. Why couldn't we have seen more about his fate afterword? What about what was happening at the White Tower, or with Liandrin and the Red Ajah, during the final episode? Heck, there could have been so much more added to the season, so many more threads to weave.

Demesnedenoir likes this.
  2. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Agreed. Maybe they spent too much on the Tolkien license, heh heh. But yeah, GoT was far more expansive, but the why WoT didn't try for more is beyond me. The episode count was anemic, and that was a problem for the end of GoT as well.

3. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

The good news is that I started to get into the world of the Witcher by the end, so I'm holding out hope for season 2. It has it's silliness, but shockingly, I like the overall vibe better than WoT.

skip.knox and FifthView like this.
  4. FifthView

FifthView Vala

I thought The Shannara Chronicles first season was silly with horrible writing, but the second season was miraculously much better. (Still not great, but not horrible.)

So there's hope for WoT.

I haven't had much interest in watching the second season of Witcher.

5. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Shnarra... I can't even give it a second chance, heh heh. The Witcher, I can take it or leave it, but since it's there I'll watch it before rewatching WoT, heh heh. I find it amusing, but I'm in no hurry to watch it.

It helps that I have zero vested interest in Witcher, I'd never heard of the books let alone read them, heh heh.

Nighty_Knight and FifthView like this.
  6. FifthView

FifthView Vala

I've never read them, but I've tried playing the video game, and I lost interest in it. I'll probably give S2 a chance eventually.

7. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

Someone just told me that the actor playing Matt just up and left the show, hence the strange exit... heh heh.

8. FifthView

FifthView Vala

I know the character has been recast, but I don't know the circumstances.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I’ve enjoyed season 2 of the Witcher. I thought season 1 got off to a weak start but ended pretty well and found season 2 to continue to improve on it for the most part.

Nighty_Knight likes this.
  10. Nighty_Knight

Nighty_Knight Minstrel

You have any questions I’m pretty much a Witcher fanboy. The show does make it a bit more, ummm, television show presentable. I like the show overall though. The books are a bit darker. But the books are a bit less action packed as well. The games were great and the third game is probably my all time favorite game. Fantastic story, atmosphere, and dialogue and did the books pretty good justice.

11. Demesnedenoir

Demesnedenoir Istar

I'm trying not to watch shows now... must... finish... my... next... book. I thought writing the Contessa was going to friggin cake, and the story just keeps throwing me for loops... that and life interfering, LOL.

Nighty_Knight likes this.