1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Winds of Ysgard - Part One

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Well. This was no bandit. Or if she was, she had a deceptively innocuous demeanor. Maybe she was a very good bandit. Nevertheless, Farrun's hand fell away from his knife hilt, and the sharp line between his brows vanished. He did not relax much more than that, though.

"Didn't you think of that before you fell asleep in our baggage?" Farrun said mildly. After a moment's pause, he jerked his chin towards her hand. "What do you mean to do with that dagger?"

2. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor took a deep breath. "I've had 4 hours o' sleep in as many days comin' over the moors, so I'm not exactly functionin' at muh best, mentally speakin', if'n ya take muh meanin'. I ran into some brigands a day afore I found your camp, though they never saw me, I don't think. At any rate, when I saw your camp, I looked it over to try to figure out if'n ya twas the brigands I saw. After looking your things over, I decided that they twere in too good o' shape to belong to brigands - brigands usually don't have the best o' stuff, if'n ya take muh meanin'. Anyway, I'm short on coin right now and don't have enough to make it into Ilstenford and pay for an inn, and I'm too tired to work for a room, which I done in a lot o' towns. So, once I realized that ya probably tweren't the brigands I saw on the road, I decided your waggon twas probably 'bout as safe a place as any to get some rest. And I thought I heard voices when I twere lookin' round. Couldn't tell where they twere comin' from, though, and it seemed too risky to attend to nature just then."

And what was that other question? Oh, the dagger. She lowered it, but continued to hold it. "And as for muh dagger, what do ya think a female travelin' alone on a road where brigands has been sighted is gonna do with it? I'm not interested in hurtin' no one 'less'n they's tryin' to hurt me first!" Stealin' on the other hand...No Elannor. Ya promised Gudnor ya twould give that up.

Her eyes had adjusted to the light now, and now she could definitely see that the man's light was reflecting off of...what was that? Pointing her nose in the direction of the shape, she took an experimental sniff. She was pretty sure that that was the source of the odd scent.

"If'n ya don't mind muh askin', what in the blue blazes is that large thing behind ya with the light glist'nin' off of it? T'was smellin' up muh dreams!"

3. DMThaane

DMThaane Sage

Loke could not help but laugh. An attack by bandits with a mysterious follower, the return of that potion maker, their little issue of the prisoner, and now an uninvited guest starring straight at Farrun and his dragon. So much for their secrecy.

"Well, well," he said, stepping forward, throwing axe in hand. "This evening has been most eventful. A good thing our friend is put to sleep or this would be even more awkward."

He looked their new arrival over, grinning wolfishly. A shortish creature; halfing, most like. Too ragged to be one of the bandits, although that hardly spared her from suspicion. Spies and assassins wore similar guises.

"I don't suppose you would accept that you are still dreaming, turn about, and return to whatever you intended before rest–and our wagon–tempted you so? No?"

He turned to Farrun. "We do seem cursed with the most peculiar of fortunes."

4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Addison yawned as she approached the sound of a female voice. She walked slowly as she was still charging her shocker. She only caught bits and pieces of the conversation, as she was too focused on the magic, and not an eavesdropper by habit.

She had seen halflings before, but it had been a while. "Oh, how cute!" The words slipped out. She explained, "Couldn't help meself. I done me share o' fashion shows. Love the colors."

Addison thought it a safe assumption that this was not a woman that one of the men invited for the night. The halfling didn't appear threatening either. The Huntress introduced herself, not knowing whether introductions had started without her.

"Addison Lane's me name. And y'are?"

5. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor peered out of the depths of the waggon as the two new people joined the conversation. Their numbers made her nervous, and she gripped her dagger more tightly, though she kept it lowered. The woman at least sounded friendly.

"Elannor Tartsnatcher's muh name, Addison," she said. "I ain't never been to no fashion show, but I do love muh bright colors."

Looking at the tall man with the oft-broken nose, she said, "A real dream's like the one I just had. I was at a Halflin' weddin', ya see. And the bride came out and joined the groom. And the bride turned to look at me and she had a dragon's head. Smelled like that large thing behind lamp man, there, too. Can you imagine that? Anyway, I started runnin', and the dragon-bride blew flame at me while I was tryin' to escape. It was a really scary dream, too. I never dreamed o' any dragon-headed brides blowin' flame at Halflin' weddin's afore. Anyhow, that's a real dream. All scary and weird." Then she gestured in the direction of the main camp area. "This is just a camp. Not scary or weird a'tall. What's your name? Are you guardin' these folk?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. DMThaane

DMThaane Sage

Well the newcomer was certainly talkative, like a tiny Addison. He could think of far less pleasant uninvited guests than a tiny Addison.

"Names are interesting things," Loke said. "Bestowed rarely and yet offered so carelessly. And while I would gladly guard anyone I call companion, these folk can guard themselves well enough."

Most of them could, at least, but the others were coming along. Rikhard had even managed to not die. Very impressive. Still, it was not knowledge that needed to be shared.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  7. Legendary Sidekick

Addison beamed with pride at Loke's comment, but she'd thank him later. She could see that Elannor was getting nervous, and the girl was armed.

Addison approached her. "Elannor, I'm comin' over to ye now. I don't think ye mean to stick me with whatever blade y'are clingin' to. Ye see this device in me hand? I don't wanna scare ye, just take me word, it needs to be in me hand."

Addison moved past Farrun and Loke. She hoped the shocker would suffice as a precaution, should it turn out the Huntress is walking into another trap. Once past the men, she invited Elannor to tell her when to stop approaching. Elannor's response would decide whether Addison would kneel down next to the halfling, next to Farrun, or somewhere in between.

"What the big guy says is true—on more than one occasion, we've proven capable o' protectin' ourselves. We got a prisoner here who put a bag o'er me head, and had a rope ready for me. I took him down, four men surrounded me, only one of 'em lived to run away. I ain't a murderer and I fought men before but ain't ever killed until today. I don't like it, but I don't regret what I done. Ain't no room in this world for men like that.

"Eye ain't like those men at all. Ye ain't puttin' a bag o'er anyone's head—just sleepin' far as I can tell. Please come to me. Show me ye bag and turn out ye pockets. I prove ye didn't steal nothin', we ain't got a problem. I find somethin' that's ours, ye put it back on the cart and we assume it rolled off the cart into ye bag. And we ain't got a problem.

"I won't lay a hand on ye. Both me hands'll stay on this metal ball."

Addison's eyes begged the halfling to come. She proved to herself she could kill a brigand, but she was pretty sure if the brigand were a cute halfling girl, she wouldn't have the stomach for it. She didn't even aim her arrow at Serka, who probably deserved it more than those she did hurt and kill.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Much too late, Farrun nudged Thoros away with a thought. Maybe it would've been better if you had let me know about the smell instead of sticking your nose in it. What were you going to do if she was dangerous, eat her?

Sheepishly, Thoros drew back his head, out of view of the opening of the waggon. At the same time, Farrun dimmed the light of his flame to a more comfortable glow, hoping it would hide the details of the draconic silhouette. Thoros slunk into the shadows, weaving his head as he judged how far he could walk into the trees before he got stuck or broke a tree-trunk. Sorry, he sent. Been a long time since we had to hide.

Don't worry yourself, I've been no better at it.. He gave him the inward equivalent of a scratch along the spine, rough reassurance. He knew, for it was clear in the dragon's mind, that Thoros was more than a little bored, always flying or pretending to be part of the scenery, with Farrun's attention often elsewhere. It couldn't be helped, and so Farrun couldn't blame him for an idle mistake.

The halfling certainly had plenty to say. Farrun couldn't place how far northern or southern she was, but that was a mountain country accent and no mistake. As Loke chuckled and Addison piped in, he rubbed the bridge of his nose, and his shoulders gradually relaxed.

Finally, in response to Addison's words, he put in, "The bags weren't touched, Addison. I would know. Seems she's telling us the truth, far as I can tell." He had an inkling that further words should be put to a test of magic, but the halfling's open face and ready story was confirmation enough for now. Farrun met the visitor's gaze with his own, dark and steady. "You can sleep by our fire, but where we can see you. And you'll have to stow the dagger."

He wasn't about to turn out any person out into the dark brigand-infested woods, much less a small halfling woman.

9. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor placed her dagger into one of her pouches, heaving a sigh of relief at the lamp man's words. Even though she hadn't taken anything, it would take some time to go through all of her pouches. "I thank ya for the offer o' rest by a fire. That be most 'ppreciated. Now, I still gots muh bedroll and pillow here in your waggon, and I'd like to sleep on that. May I gather that up, or twould one o' ya folk prefer to do the honors?"

And then in a sheepish tone she said, "But if'n ya don't let me pee pretty soon, I'm gonna go all over your stuff."

10. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

Bendalitz, still by the fire, watched the commotion by the wagon with narrow eyes and flared nostrils. First bandits, then some witch, now this. This was getting silly. He pushed down on his knees and practically launched forward towards the gathered group, resting a hand on the hilt of his dagger.

"By the gods and the trees and the baker's boots," he said as he joined them, "what's going on?" Spotting the little woman – the halfling woman, no less – the tackily dressed halfling woman, he sighed and said, "Who are you and what are you doing? And what's your purpose in life?" One might say that was an odd question, but one of Bendalitz's many adages was that only expected answers come from expected questions.

11. tbgg

tbgg Sage

This was getting ridiculous. Elannor folded her arms over her chest and glowered at the newcomer. "Ya kin ask the fella with the light about that - I done already answered that. Fer now, I'mma go pee. Afore I make a mess o' things."

To Addison she said, "Ya kin come with me if'n ya wants, since it 'ppears that yer menfolk think I need watchin'. I'm sure YOU," and she gave the word deliberate emphasis, "kin understand the importance of a lady bein' allowed ta do 'er personal business, 'specially when she says she gots to go."

To the men she said, "I saw a patch o' bushes not too far from where ya gots yer mules picketed when I looked 'round earlier. That be where I'mma go. I needs sleep right bad and yer offer o' a rest by the fire's the best I've had in several days, if'n yer worried I'mma run off."

And without looking to see whether Addison was following, Elannor quickly climbed off the waggon and scampered into the night in the direction of the mules.

12. Legendary Sidekick

Addison told Elannor, "Ye go on ahead. I promise to catch up after I speak to the men, and it'll just be me."

She said to Farrun, "I trust her enough." To Bendalitz she added, "In the off chance I'm misjudgin' her, me shocker'll go off if it drops from me hand, and I can bend the lightning away from meself."

She wasn't worried about Loke's opinion but told him, "It means a lot, a fighter strong and experienced as yeself havin' faith in our abilities. I'm a wyvern-slayer, not the deer-slayer some mistake a Huntress for, so I ain't ever had a doubt. Rik did good out there today, despite his self-doubt. Ye words might do him good."

As she wrapped up her words, she started in Eleanor's direction.

She called out softly as she approached, "It's just me—Addison." She noticed the halfling's head over the top of a bush, but wasn't sure if she was finished her business.
    Addison kept a respectful distance as she spoke to Elannor. "Ye don't need to sleep by the fire. Tent's ladies only, and this metal ball in me hand's a shocker. There's enough lightning to keep a wyvern still, when it's full. It's not full now, but I can tell ye that any man tries to enter our tent, he'll regret it.

"Oh, but ye can't get out unless I disarm it, so it's best ye taken care o' business first."

Addison wondered if the emphasis had to do with privacy from men, or the phase of the moon.

"Bein' a Huntress, I'm used to bein' out in the wilderness for months on end. If ye need anythin' from me, don't be shy about askin'."

13. tbgg

tbgg Sage

At the Huntress' offer of help, Elannor's ears perked up. "There do be one thing I needs, Addison - a short staff, cut not more'n a hand's length longer'n I am tall. It's muh weapon o' choice, ya see, and muh last one broke in the last town I twas in. I had ta get out o' there in a hurry and didn't have time ta get a new one. Then I started crossin' the moors, and realized that twere a bad move - scary things in the moors, though I twere on a footpath that an old woodsman told me twould be safer'n the main road. I don't got no axe, and the wood I seen in the moors been too damp fer a good staff anyway. I ain't slept more'n an hour a day since enterin' the moors, and that twere 4 or 5 days ago, on account o' sleepin' in trees and havin' no one but me ta stand watch. I'm none too crazy 'bout sleepin' in closed spaces that I cain't get outta, but sleepin' in an open area without muh staff is worse! That somethin' ya could help me with?"

Completing her business, Elannor pulled up her pants and walked up to Addison. "That shocker o' yours sounds interestin'. I'd like ta see that in action sometime, I would." Then rubbing her head tiredly, she said, "I still gots a bedroll and pilla in yer waggon. If'n I forgets about it, could ya mebbe remind me?"

14. Legendary Sidekick

Addison didn't think this was the best time to chop wood.

"Sleep first. I got business with the bagman--I mean the brigand who put the bag o'er me head. I made a promise I'd come to the magistrate, and I aim to keep it. Me word means somethin', even when I give it to an enemy.

"I give ye me word too then. Stick around if Farrun approves, and I'll see ye get a good stick for a staff. If the men don't help, I got me own axe. It's dwarven, made for a woman. I suppose the smith meant it's made for a dwarven woman, but it's perfect for me own arm.

"I can't give ye me word on Farrun approvin' o' ye taggin' along. It's not me call."

Addison looks the halfling over. Short like a dwarf, but comparatively slender like her human parent. So she's just... small.

"Ye stay in me tent for the night. There's eight brigands on the loose--the ones I ain't captured or killed. I can't let ye out there endangerin' yeself. I ain't forcin' ye, but I mean I'll speak to Farrun about keepin' ye close. Just stay the night, me tent unless ye prefer the fireside... and we talk to Farrun in the morning."

15. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Farrun's brows lifted. "Please don't..." He moved out of the way to let her pass, taken aback by just how far below his head she came, once she'd jumped down. Had she really crossed the Sverenmoor on her own? The gytrashes could have eaten her in two bites.

Well, it never did to underestimate a dwarf, and perhaps the same went for halflings.

"Her name is Elannor Tartsnatcher--on my honor," he told Bendalitz, and vaulted into the back of the waggon. He picked up the bedroll and pillow, and rolled them up as he glanced around at the bags, to make sure of what his magic had already told him. Nothing had been touched. He emerged again, going on: "Apparently she needed some sleep, and thought that our cart was the safest place around to kip in. Can't say I disagree."

He dropped the bedroll nearer to the fire, and looked over his shoulder to make sure that Thoros was out of sight. The forest was now fully in night's shadow, and it was only because of the beacon in his head that he knew that irregular line of darkness a ways into the trees was not, in fact, a boulder or a toppled tree. Did it matter, though, when the girl had already seen him? Maybe she could be convinced that it was nothing more than a weary mind. Thoros was spending a great deal of time as a hallucination today.

Farrun did pause to wonder if Elannor's wordiness was due to her lack of sleep, or whether she and Addison were going to talk tonight until one of them burst. From the conversation in the bushes, he thought the latter.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  16. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor noted Addison looking her over and chuckled inwardly. Bet she never seen no halflin's afore neither.

"Tent sounds good ta me, if there's brigands still 'bout. Which one o' yas is Farrun? The tall one with the nose that looks like it's seen the wrong end o' a shield bash a few too many times?"

17. Legendary Sidekick

Addison replied, "He's the cap'n--the one whose magic proved ye truthful about not stealin'. We can get ye bedroll on the way.

"The one ye mean don't want his name mentioned. The big guy'll change his mind. I'll not force the issue."

18. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor nodded. She had known men like Broken Nose before, and wouldn't argue the point. And, if she got to stay around for very long, she just might have some fun calling him 'Broken Nose' to his face, too. It would be something to look forward to.

"Then yer cap'n is the one with the light? There's somethin' calmin' 'bout that one. I liked the feel 'o 'im. Though I'mma get an answer from 'im 'bout that scent even if'n it takes me a while. I know I saw somethin'."

Then she gave Addison a tired grin and asked, "Well, shall we return ta camp?"

19. Legendary Sidekick

Squatting on the opposite side of the bush, Addison replied sheepishly, "Gimme a few seconds."

20. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Elannor laughed out loud and stood in the position Addison had been standing in earlier, a polite distance away. "Sorry, didn't see ya step into the bushes. No worries, I'll wait right 'ere. Since we're takin' a break anyway, ya might as well, right?"