• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Writing issues that have been plaguing me the most

srebak

Troubadour
Here's the deal; these are the issues that have been haunting me in terms of writing the most

1. When i want to spend some time on a specific story, but occasions that are just around corner plead me to work on stories that relate to them more:

Let me put it this way; with the month of October less than a week away, a month that holds my Birthday and Halloween within it, i feel the need to work on two specific stories for the sake of keeping with the Halloween spirit; An original Fantasy novel about dragons and magical creatures that i'm writing and a fanfiction related to a cartoon about Magical creatures living in the modern world that i like. These seemed like the most logical choices to use to satisfy both of my desires to write and to keep to the Halloween spirit. But, a good strong part of me wants to continue with another fanfiction story that I'm writing, one that is associated with a TV show (or rather a reboot of a TV show) that I associate with Kingdoms, armies, monarchies, politics, warfare and conquests, none of which are related to Halloween in anyway, I might add. Now, I might be able to get away with mixing Royalty-related things with the Birthday theme, since Royals can really throw a birthday party, as I've heard. But, Monarchies just don't mix well with the Halloween vibe very much, if at all. I mean, I could just barely get away with applying that sort of thing to Thanksgiving or Easter (what with the latter's connection to Passover and the story of Exodus and all), and I could definitely make this work with with the Winter Holiday season (Christmas has a few stories that mix well with the Royalty theme and Hanukkah's story does the same too), but Halloween, no dice.

2. When i just can't put a sentence together that sounds like something someone would actually say

3. When i'm ready to write one story, because i'm in that particular mood, but am far from the point of the story that i would have like to have been.

4. Comparing Fan fiction to original stories

Feel free to ask what i mean about any one of these

srebak

Troubadour
What precisely do you mean about comparing fan fiction to original stories?

Well, I try to really get into the mood for my stories, so when i'm writing a fan fiction for a show that brings monarchies, armies, kingdoms and conquests to mind, i try to keep in that mood by watching shows and movies that relate to all of those things too. The problem is, when i'm using a movie based on a well-thought out book (series) to accomplish that, it just doesn't feel right, since you can't really compare a fan fiction to stories like The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia or the Owls of Ga'Hoole.

Does that make sense?

cydare

Minstrel
1. I think you're limiting yourself by writing so seasonally. Certain times inspire me too, so I might write a Halloween-themed short story in October. I also might not. It's hardly necessary, so if I don't feel like it or if I'm trying to focus on another project, I won't.

Writing for certain events is fun and can motivate you, but it's not a rule. Just because Halloween and your birthday are coming up doesn't mean you need to tie everything you write in to one of these two events. If you want to continue with your TV fanfic, then continue with your TV fanfic! (In fact, completing something you've already started is usually better than adding new projects to the unfinished pile.) You don't have to relate the fic to October. You don't have to 'get away' with anything. You're not a criminal.

The novel I'm working on right now has a very summery feel. I started planning it in July, and was definitely inspired by the heat, and the lanterns, and the passion of the month. It's autumn now, and my hands are freezing. I haven't stopped writing. If I waited for summer, I'd never finish, so I make my own summer in my mind and write it on the page.

2. That one takes practice and observation. Pay attention to how people speak around you, and even jot down some conversations. Read a lot and focus on what you're reading. Try to dissect good dialogue in books you like and see what makes it work for you.

You can also try acting hard scenes out. Think of what you would say then tweak it to fit your character.

3. Make it a habit not to rely on mood. Inspiration comes and goes, and if you want to finish something and get to the point you want, you have to either force the mood (using movies, books, music etc) or buckle up and write without it. It's hard, but it's worth it.

4. There's nothing wrong about getting inspiration from stories like the ones you listed for inspiration. You're not making fanfic and original work duel it out or anything.