• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Theft of Swords?

Phoenix

Troubadour
Hey, anyone read Michael J. Sullivan's Theft of Sword? I haven't finished it myself, but I would like to know what everyone thinks. From what I have read its a pretty interesting world and characters. Go Royce!

just finished very well written

Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed it. The reality is the series was designed to escallate to the last book which basically means that the stories get better as they progress which, by definition, makes the early book the weakest link - unconventional...true..but when I wrote them I had no intention on publishing so I could do crazy things like that.

Edgemaker

Scribe
Sounds like an Interesting Book just requested it through My Library but it has not come out yet. Looking forward to reading it during my Semester break.

Thanks EdgeMaker. The books are out so the library may not have ordered it. My experience is that if a Patron makes a request they are likely to puchase. Sometime the libraries need to have the book reviewed by places like Library Journal or Publishers Weekly - and Theft of Swords has good reveiews for both, and was selected as one of the Top 10 Best Books of 2011 (for fantasy/science fiction). When you make your request if you happen to mention that - then they will most certainly purchase a copy.

Erica

Minstrel
From what I've seen/heard it looks like a good read. May have to bump it up in my distressingly long queue of books to read. Sigh, I'm having a hard time keeping up with my reading now that I'm writing as well.

From what I've seen/heard it looks like a good read. May have to bump it up in my distressingly long queue of books to read. Sigh, I'm having a hard time keeping up with my reading now that I'm writing as well.

Hey Erica - that would be great. Personally I take at least an hour out of every day to read. It helps to clear my head from writing.

Finished Theft of Swords, really great book. I loved Royce and Hadrian, Alric not so much, but I did grow with him. Great story with great world and interesting, overarching plot. I am on page 100 on Rise of Empire, not as exciting starting up. I'm just not feeling the excitement I did when I first met Royce and Hadrian, but it is still told greatly nonetheless. I also downloaded The Viscount and the Witch on my Kindle Fire, look forward to reading those.

Mr. Sullivan, you really have crafted a great story with amazing characters, I would definitely love it if you continued to write fantasy. Thanks for all the hard work.

Finished Theft of Swords, really great book. I loved Royce and Hadrian, Alric not so much, but I did grow with him. Great story with great world and interesting, overarching plot. I am on page 100 on Rise of Empire, not as exciting starting up. I'm just not feeling the excitement I did when I first met Royce and Hadrian, but it is still told greatly nonetheless. I also downloaded The Viscount and the Witch on my Kindle Fire, look forward to reading those.

Mr. Sullivan, you really have crafted a great story with amazing characters, I would definitely love it if you continued to write fantasy. Thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks Alexander...Yeah Alric you're not supposed to like - so I guess I was successful. He is the one who grows the most in the first book but he still have some personality traits that he needs to work on. Nyphron Rising (first book in Rise of Empire) is definetly a slower moving book. It centers more on "the woman" (Thrace and Arista) and is probably the "slowest" book of the series but for some it is their favorite as it does quite a bit of character building.

Writing anything is hard work but it is also a whole lot of fun as well. I feel very fortunate that I get to do what I love and make a living at it. Thanks for writing.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Finally got a copy at Barnes and Noble. Enjoying it quite a lot so far. Read the first hundred pages in one sitting, which is certainly a good sign :)

Argentum

Troubadour
I must say I really liked how two stories were put together into one book, because, when one story came to a very nice and satisfying close, there was still half the book left! Made my day over and over again.

Finally got a copy at Barnes and Noble. Enjoying it quite a lot so far. Read the first hundred pages in one sitting, which is certainly a good sign :)

Nice - I'm always amazed at what takes me years to write can be consumed by people so quickly - some in just a few days. Alas a writers we'll never be able to keep up with our readers.