• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Themes for vampires

Tom

Istar
So I'm writing a vampire story, called Frostbite. If any of you have seen Ireth's Q&A with Stephen Shorne, you've already met Will, the vampire in question.

The thing is, I want to do something new with the themes that pop up in vampire literature. A lot of vamp stories revolve around concepts like lust and violence. However, I want to take a different approach. The themes I want to explore are isolation, longing for connection, and deadened emotion.

When I think of these themes, the image that comes to my mind's eye every time is of Will, walking alone through snowy winter woods at night. It's a very lonely, cold picture, and it captures what I'm going for. However, I need to expand on it to really tie the themes into the story.

I was thinking about using the repeated imagery of winter and other cold subjects, as well as solitary animals like cats and owls.

Any suggestions for ways I could expand on the theme, such as imagery, plot points, etc?

Saigonnus

Auror
I could see him standing in a public place (I see the streets of New York or Los Angeles during rush hour), with the crowd streaming by on both side. Hundreds of people passing by and none more than glancing at him; and that like he's a leper. Even in a crowd a guy like that would feel isolated and alone. Companionship would become a commodity for him and he would probably go to great length to protect any friendships he does manage to cultivate. Could be interesting if has to hide the fact that he's a vampire from the person to keep the friendship alive. It might build up the tension between the characters and give more depth to the vampire.

Reactions: Tom

Pythagoras

Troubadour
You ever seen the Stairway to Heaven image from Led Zeppelin IV? The old man with the lantern and the staff? It's based on a tarot card image of the hermit. You should look into that. Lonely old man, standing on a precipice overlooking a sleeping village during the winter. Introspection and loneliness. I don't know. That's just the image that popped into my mind when I read this post.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Just like every winter ends and all the snow melts away, so everyone around him (who's also not a vampire) will die away from him. You could probably play around with the analogy a bit and get some nice effects.

Edit: Also, just like the humans lock themselves up in their houses and around their fires, so do they keep away from him out in the snow.

For possiblevinspiration, read The Invisible Man or a similar story: for many people, being invisible would create the ultimate feeling of isolation. The idea that life could go on without anybody even being aware of your presence would be horrifying.

Tom

Istar
Thanks to everyone for all the inspiring ideas. I like the image Saigonnus called up--of someone standing, alone, like a solitary island in the middle of a sea of people that part around him.

I wanted to bring some black-and-white imagery into play--the juxtaposition of light and dark has always fascinated me. Silver and tarnish, day and night, shadow and sunshine, black hair and white skin. I think it would highlight Will's occupying two worlds and two identities--public and private life, vampire and human.

However (urg) Twilight has made this a little problematic. You can't use black-and-white imagery in vampire stories anymore, because your original concept will be completely read over and a false assumption of "oh, this person is exploring themes similar to Twilight!" will take hold in the reader's mind, and your story will lose its power because it will be associated with wimpy sparkling vampires. And yes, if you are wondering, this has happened to me in the past.

Any way I can get around this problem?

Nimue

Auror
I don't know that Twilight can have a monopoly on imagery like that, that contrast is a pretty essential literary device. Just, you know, avoid the sparkle. Also topaz eyes. Stay away from that.

Themes of loneliness and isolation reminds me of Only Lovers Left Alive, a film with Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, which I haven't actually watched but read a couple of reviews--it's also about vampires, who have lived for centuries and centuries and are now some of the only immortals left in the near future. Maybe good to watch for inspiration.

Adding to that, I might suggest themes of weariness and anhedonia--the inability to feel pleasure. Maybe insomnia, a longing for sleep or rest? I guess those would be better for very old vampires, I'm not sure how ancient Will is.

Tom

Istar
I've heard of Only Lovers Left Alive, and it's on my to-watch list. I'm looking forward to seeing Swinton and Hiddleston as vampires, especially Hiddleston--in the trailer and on the promo posters he just seems to radiate this feral desperation that is perfect for a vampire who's lost all hope.

Longing for rest...that sounds good. Will's a relatively young vampire, turned during WW2, but he's been hunted and hated all his unlife, and I think that's made him a lot more ancient in spirit than he should be. A craving for sleep would go along with his longing to just be human again.

Topaz eyes. Topaz eyes. If I saw a person in real life with topaz eyes, I would be freaking the hell out, not fawning over them.

Doesn't Bella (or Stephanie Meyer) know that the reason human beings find eyes that color creepy is because they trigger an instinctive fear of predators? Many predators powerful and cunning enough to take out a human have topaz eyes. Wolves, for instance, and panthers. Edward's a predator! Run, Bella!

Last edited:

arbiter117

Minstrel
WHAT?? A vampire novel that isn't about lust??? You should be ashamed of yourself for being....original. On a serious note, I think the lust and perfect man of perfect perfection have destroyed vampires for me. If you can, reignite the doomed species.

I don't know that Twilight can have a monopoly on imagery like that, that contrast is a pretty essential literary device. Just, you know, avoid the sparkle. Also topaz eyes. Stay away from that.

Also stay away from statues of David/Adonis and other Greek/Roman/Renaissance imagery. Every time I pick up a vampiric novel and read that stuff, another stake is driven into Dracula's heart. Also a cute vampire puppy dies.

Tom

Istar
Yes, I know, I'm committing a heresy against vampire literature by not including lust. The exclusion is actually a facet in my overall theme--Will is almost asexual, uninterested and incapable of forming a romantic attachment, and that's a major part of his isolation and loneliness.

Seriously, why the fixation on Adonis? Adonis and Michelangelo's David are examples of the ideal Renaissance male physique that has been Western culture's highest standard of male beauty for centuries upon centuries. Can't other body types be considered beautiful? Can't we break the mold?

Wait, this is Twilight I'm talking about, which has gone about its merry way, reinforcing every romance stereotype and setting back feminism at least a century. Or two.

arbiter117

Minstrel
I agree wholeheartedly. It sounds to me like Will is suffering from some serious depression/PTSD and I'm certain I would too if someone bit my neck and drank my blood and completely ruined my life.

FarmerBrown

Troubadour
I wanted to bring some black-and-white imagery into play--the juxtaposition of light and dark has always fascinated me. Silver and tarnish, day and night, shadow and sunshine, black hair and white skin. I think it would highlight Will's occupying two worlds and two identities--public and private life, vampire and human.

However (urg) Twilight has made this a little problematic. You can't use black-and-white imagery in vampire stories anymore, because your original concept will be completely read over and a false assumption of "oh, this person is exploring themes similar to Twilight!" will take hold in the reader's mind, and your story will lose its power because it will be associated with wimpy sparkling vampires. And yes, if you are wondering, this has happened to me in the past.

I've always thought white was lonelier than black. In a bright, white snowy landscape you can actually see you're completely alone (or you can easily see everyone ignoring you), whereas in pitch black there's always the possibility you're not alone. White just feels emptier to me than black. I hope that makes sense.

I really like your ideas and don't think this could very easily be confused with (urg) Twilight. If anything, the words "black and white" and "vampires" bring to mind Nosferatu rather than Twilight, especially if you don't include the sparkle as Nimue suggests ;-) I'm excited to see Will 'come alive' (har har) and definitely want to read your story.

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
Yes, I know, I'm committing a heresy against vampire literature by not including lust.

Only against modern vampire literature, and who cares about that? Vampires were originally more like zombies. Disgusting creatures risen from graves, terrorizing the countryside and breaking into people's houses to drink their blood. You have no duty to the modern version. The legend of the blood drinking monster is almost as old as man. So you can do anything you like with it really.

I'm trying to do something different with vampires in my world as well: the Zen Vampire.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
For reference, here's my take on vampires: Vampires - Odd Lands Wiki

In short. The vampire is an aether-based magical parasite that lodges itself between its victims soul and its physical body. The parasite itself feeds on the soul for sustenance, but the magic it uses to animate the body of the victim requires the body to consume blood.

Mythopoet

Auror
For reference, here's my take on vampires: Vampires - Odd Lands Wiki

In short. The vampire is an aether-based magical parasite that lodges itself between its victims soul and its physical body. The parasite itself feeds on the soul for sustenance, but the magic it uses to animate the body of the victim requires the body to consume blood.

Interesting. Sort of like a cross between a lamia and vampire and a go'auld.