1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Themes & Inspiration of My Fantasy

Discussion in 'Writers on the Web' started by Ned Marcus, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I blog on the inspiration for my stories and the themes behind them.

I often describe my location as the Hills of Shiding. Although it sounds like a fantasy location, it's real. My second novel is a kind of journey to the centre of the planet, and I imagined the old, enclosed market near my house existing deep beneath the surface. The rich nature of the hills has also seeps into the stories.

Here's my post about Shiding.

2. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I've used my martial arts experience to help me develop my magical systems, and surprisingly (to me) my post on Martial Magic has made it into the first page of search results on Yahoo and Bing. Don't care too much about the pictures of me practicing :) the point of the article is simply to show how it's possible to take regular activities and use them in fantasy world building.

skip.knox likes this.
  3. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I recently posted about Magic Forests in Fantasy & Myth.

A lot of the fantasy I write is set in forest worlds, so I thought it'd be fun to look at forests in fantasy in general.

skip.knox likes this.
  4. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I posted a piece of fantasy flash fiction yesterday. Only 414 words, so a very short read.

If interested, you can read An Offer of Redemption here.

5. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I've recently signed up to Masterclass (some of you will probably have seen their ads on FB) for their classes on writing. But some of the other classes are great, and some of them remind me of some of the reasons I write. One such class is by Jane Goodall on Conservation.

In this article, Green Aina, I talk about a long short story I wrote (Young Aina) which was influenced by some of my concerns for the environment.

6. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I enjoy reading what top fantasy authors say about fantasy and have collected a number of quotes. Read the article here. I'll be adding more in the future.

skip.knox and Devor like this.
  7. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

Here's a short story I entered in a contest (over at Fantasy Faction). I came joint second. Anyway, here's the story, The Boatmen, on my site. I've included the picture of an Indian coracle (to show how big they can get—and I've seen bigger). I tweaked the ending ;)

8. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

Fantasy often concerns itself with good vs. evil, and sometimes with the nature of good and evil, and I thought it'd be interesting to collect some good and evil quotes—some of which have informed the nature of evil in my stories.

9. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

I've put together all the cover designs (past & present) for my Blue Prometheus series if you're interested in taking a look. Two of the covers have made it to the finals of the 2019 Kobo Indie Book Contest. It's neck and neck at the moment with Young Aina in second place! Votes close at 3PM on the 31st.

10. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Voted. FWIW, I think your fantasy covers beat all the competition. Most of them were either muddy or hokey or just plain dull.

Ned Marcus likes this.
  11. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

Thank you!

Young Aina came second in its category but because it got enough votes overall it's reached the grand final (for all genres combined). The competition is tougher now. If anyone still wants to vote, you can do so here.

12. Pemry Janes

Pemry Janes Sage

Voted as well, and noted that one cover seems to be getting a lot more votes than any other.

Ned Marcus likes this.
  13. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

Thanks. I noticed the cover with so many votes, too.

14. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

For fun, I've just written a 25 word short story based on a Masterclass writing prompt. Shorter than my normal fiction :)

You can read Many Things Grow On Trees here.