1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Themes & Inspiration of My Fantasy

Discussion in 'Writers on the Web' started by Ned Marcus, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

I blog on the inspiration for my stories and the themes behind them.

I often describe my location as the Hills of Shiding. Although it sounds like a fantasy location, it's real. My second novel is a kind of journey to the centre of the planet, and I imagined the old, enclosed market near my house existing deep beneath the surface. The rich nature of the hills has also seeps into the stories.

Here's my post about Shiding.

2. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

I've used my martial arts experience to help me develop my magical systems, and surprisingly (to me) my post on Martial Magic has made it into the first page of search results on Yahoo and Bing. Don't care too much about the pictures of me practicing :) the point of the article is simply to show how it's possible to take regular activities and use them in fantasy world building.

skip.knox likes this.
  3. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

I recently posted about Magic Forests in Fantasy & Myth.

A lot of the fantasy I write is set in forest worlds, so I thought it'd be fun to look at forests in fantasy in general.

skip.knox likes this.
  4. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

I posted a piece of fantasy flash fiction yesterday. Only 414 words, so a very short read.

If interested, you can read An Offer of Redemption here.

5. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Minstrel

I've recently signed up to Masterclass (some of you will probably have seen their ads on FB) for their classes on writing. But some of the other classes are great, and some of them remind me of some of the reasons I write. One such class is by Jane Goodall on Conservation.

In this article, Green Aina, I talk about a long short story I wrote (Young Aina) which was influenced by some of my concerns for the environment.