• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Third Person POV

Stormsong07

Acolyte
So I've begun my story in 3rd Person Limited POV but now I'm wondering if it would be better to switch to omniscient.
What do you feel works better for a YA fantasy story? Limited (ie, only told from MC POV) or omniscient (aka the narrator knows everything and can be inside everyone's head?)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
3rd Limited is going to be far more common place these days. That's likely more true in YA, where 1st is also trendy. That said, the answer is whatever is best for the story.

Stormsong07

Acolyte
Now that you mention it, a lot of YA does use limited. Maybe that's why I subconsciously started mine in that form. (Goes to bookshelf and pulls down YA novels to investigate)

Gryphos

Auror
Depends mainly on the size of your cast and how important it is to know their thoughts. If the story is very focused on a single protagonist, or your protagonists are separated for a majority of the story, then limited pov is probably better, and you can switch pov in different chapters. However, if your story follows a group of protagonists, it may well be useful to be able to jump into each of their heads on a whim.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Any POV can be used with any number of viewpoints characters. You can be in third person limited and switch POV characters. You can be in first person and do the same. You can also combine the two, which has also been done in YA. Choosing third person limited as a point of view does not limit you to a single character (for example, Game of Thrones is written from multiple third-person limited viewpoints).

Stormsong07

Acolyte
That's true, Crystalline, I hadn't thought of that. Limited means I can surprise the reader at the same time as my character. A good point.

Russ

Istar
A friend of mine just published his first YA book, I bought it, but now I guess I will have to open it and see how it is written...

staiger95

Scribe
My personal inclination would always be towards limited. This generally allows the story unfold more fluidly without the all-too-dangerous pitfall of expository narration. Show your characters in action; don't tell the readers what they are about.

Kyle8414

Dreamer
A lot of recent YA uses first person. Perhaps to help the reader identify? Maybe it reads easier?

Personally I think third person limited is perfect for stories with conspiracy, many characters or a slow-building narrative. I think first person is ideal for shorter books where it is used to build up a character quickly so more space can be used for plot elements. For character-driven novels with a small cast, it also can be useful.

First-person POV helps me be closer to the main character/the narrator. I chose it for my last book because it's my personal favorite due the intimacy of it.

My next book will be in 3rd omniscient because I want distance from the characters, as if this was an old story you're peering at through the dust of time. Also, i want emphasis on setting and tone in this story, which is far more difficult with first person.

I feel like it is easier to relate to characters in third person limited, because you can easily step back if you disagree with their actions or so forth, but not so easily in first person.

I'd echo the first response in this thread by saying it is really a matter of what serves your story best. If it's important for the reader to slip into the shoes of your viewpoint character than first person seems more appropriate. If it's more important that they identify with what's going on with the character cast, especially if you plan to switch viewpoints, but not necessarily be in their shoes then third person seems more appropriate.