• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thoughts and comments on my story plan.

Artemadoris

Dreamer
I wanted to get an idea of what others thought about my concept and preliminary story plan for the first book in the series–I had originally intended for it to be one book, but then it just got to be too long. Thanks everyone!

The Tomes of Éthor

Book One: Kingdom of the Two Sons

The Flaring of the Light and the Origin of the World: (the gods of Éthor) come into being in the Flaring of the Light. The fracturing of the Mountain Eternal and formation of Éthor and its fragments happen at this time. The gods battle for domination of the Mountain Eternal; the strongest one prevails and takes form (that of a strong man with pale white skin, platinum, luminous white hair, and piercing, golden/blue eyes), conceives the language of the gods, and names himself Üthorim. The other gods submit to Üthorim as their king; they then choose forms of their own (three male and three female). Üthorim then names them according to his will:

Nesenth–took Eshenesra as his mate, he took the form of a grey-skinned man with ram's horns, he conceived the wild beasts and the forests, he cares little for the struggles of men and their wars and industry and prefers to remain in the beauty of nature.
Eshenesra–the mate of Nesenth, she took the form a woman with long red hair like a robe. Flowering plants bloom at her feet as she walks and she communes with the wild. She conceived the hunt, the art of medicine, and agriculture.
Tulvyr–took Mersot as his mate; he took the form of a great, red-skinned man with flowing black hair and beard that reflects the light of the stars from the Fragments of Éthor in them. His eyes glow with the formative fires of the Great Light. Tulvyr is akin to Ãœthorim; he conceived science, mathematics, metal forging, artisanship, and the arts of war.
Mersot–the mate of Tulvyr, she took the form of a savage looking woman, nude and muscular with golden hair, a strand of which can cut anything, she has piercing green eyes which can see into the souls of men; she conceived sex, vanity, pride, and ceremony. After the fracturing of Éthor, she desired Ãœthorim for her mate, but Ãœthorim chose Syyreth. Even though Tulvyr is strong and capable (a quality Mersot finds attractive) the dominant god is Ãœthorim, and Mersot desires only the best. This causes strife between Tulvyr, Mersot and Syyreth as she sexually pursues Ãœthorim relentlessly.
Syyreth–the mate of Ãœthorim, she took the form of a fair woman with white, luminous hair like that of Ãœthorim, and eyes that are shimmering blue jewels. She conceived love, mercy, compassion, music, literature, and the arts. Ahébbon seduces in her dreams and she became pregnant with his son, Fyren, the Berserker.
Ahébbon–But, one denies Ãœthorim and refuses to take form or be named–Ãœthorim calls it Ahébbon and wrestles with the black, formless and raging god until it submits and chooses a form to spite Ãœthorim–a black skinned man with eyes of flame, and a crown of flame. Ahébbon conceives treachery, spite, hatred, and cruelty. He takes no mate as there is no one left for him, he despises the other gods of Éthor especially Ãœthorim. He spends much of his time alone off in the molten volcanic plains of the young world. He fashions the Hounds of Héolor, two giant, grotesque beasts animated by Ahebbon's will. They sit at the side of his throne of glowing ash. Ahébbon holds the great chains that form their leashes in his hand. He seeks to seize men from Ãœthorim to serve him.

Ãœthorim and the Gods of Éthor Fashion the World: After the gods of Éthor settled into their forms, Ãœthorim despised the barren landscape of fire and stone. He wanted to fashion the world and reshape it into a thing of beauty that he conceived. He and the other gods conceived the things of the world. After the other gods presented their conceptions, Ãœthorim, from within Syyreth, conceived the greatest creation of Éthor–men. He named them Virithum and Hedraèm. The gods perceived them to be beautiful and precious. Ahébbon was jealous and despised men. In keeping with his nature, Ahébbon rebelled against the conceptions of Ãœthorim and the other gods. He fashioned terrible, grotesque things around his throne deep within the bowels of the world in his domain of Héolor. Ahébbon suggested a contest between that which Ãœthorim had made and his conceptions to see which was truly greater–the winner would dominate the world. When Ãœthorim saw the things Ahébbon had made, he became angry and called them Abominations. The Abominations of Héolor set upon the Sons of Ãœthorim; they fought valiantly against the beasts until Hedraèm was about to be devoured. Ãœthorim despaired and hung his head saying, “My conception is flawed by his own weakness; how can he prevail and call himself my son?” Then, Virithum, not willing to see his brother slain, summoned all his strength, pulled the beast from Hedraèm, and broke its neck, killing it. The Sons of Ãœthorim slew the beasts and were victorious. Ãœthorim rejoiced and favored Virithum; but the seeds of jealousy were now planted in Hedraèm for his father favored him less. The gods wrestled Ahébbon, Ãœthorim bested him and was about to smite him with a spear he fashioned out of hot metal and emblazoned with flame. Syyreth pitied Ahébbon and begged Ãœthorim not to kill him; but Ãœthorim, enraged by her sympathy for his enemy, forbade any of the gods to intervene in Ahebbon's punishment. Ahébbon escapes and flees into the core of the world–his fallen kingdom of Héolor. Ãœthorim conceives childbearing women and gives them to Virithum and Hedraèm to bring forth strong offspring. Ãœthorim gives Virithum dominion over the fertile lands in the North and Hedraèm is given the islands along the seas to the south.

The Glory of Virithum: It is a time of peace and renaissance in the world. Love blossoms in the summer beneath the sun for a princess of the ruling house of Hedraèm and a prince from Virithum named Deorwyn. The long lineage of Virithum has ruled the northern lands of Éthor for many generations; however, the seeds of dissent are growing in the kingdom of Hedraèm in the south.

Hedraèm Falls into Unrest: Virithum is wealthy beyond imagining while the people of Hedraèm are struggling to survive. The nation is divided among warring families inhabiting the islands near the sea. They fight amongst each other for scraps. They grow jealous of Virithum and feel slighted since their lineage shared the work in vanquishing the Abominations of Héolor. Why should their descendants suffer while Virithum thrives? They feel abandoned by Üthorim and the gods of the world.

Acwellen Slays Idgard: The High King Idgard meets Lord Acwellen in battle on the Isle of Red off the western coast of Hedraèm. The battle is fierce and many of Idgard’s forces are killed by Acwellen’s savage men. Idgard is bent on restoring order to the kingdom of Hedraèm and reuniting the houses of the scattered throne. When he realizes his forces are losing, Idgard charges forth with his infantry in a desperate rage. The enemy is releasing catapults against the charging soldiers and Idgard, blind to his peril, is felled by a great stone, and left mortally wounded on the field of battle.

Ealdwulf Renounces Ãœthorim: Idgard, the High King of Hedraèm is dying from wounds suffered in battle with one of the warring families of the scattered throne. Idgard’s heir, Prince Ealdwulf had petitioned Virithum for help; when the answer arrives that Virithum will not get involved in Hedraèm’s civil uprising, Ealdwulf is enraged; he wishes for an army with the might to wage war on the world. Ealdwulf is enraged further, after he discovers his sister’s affair with Deorwyn of Virithum.

The Destruction of Hedraèm: King Idgard dies, and in his grief and anger, Ealdwulf renounces Üthorim, orders all the temples to the god burned to the ground, and banishes his sister into the wilderness of the borderlands to die. This enrages Üthorim who smites the great city of Hedraèm with a great mountain (Fragment of Éthor) that he casts down from the firmament onto the doomed city.

Eshenesra appears to Deorwyn: Meanwhile, Eshenesra appears to Deorwyn at the lovers’ meeting place in the woods and tells him of Ùthorim’s wrath on Hedraèm, Edrys’s peril in the wilderness and that she sees war on the horizon in the Kingdom of the Two Sons. Eshenesra warns Deorwyn that she will not deny her children food and that if he wishes to save his love from becoming prey in the wild, Deorwyn should hurry; she has warned him of Edrys’s peril as a courtesy to Sons of Ãœthorim. Deorwyn rushes to Edrys’s aid, rescues her from giant talking white wolves, and they journey together towards Virithum.

Ealdwulf Beseeches Ahébbon: Incredibly, Ealdwulf is still alive after the destruction of Hedraèm. Battered and broken, he is barely clinging to life but his rage spurs him on. He curses Ãœthorim and decides to pledge his alliance to Ahébbon. To summon the great demon of old, he must prostrate himself–he tears his clothes off and climbs the Weeping Mountain. He reaches the summit; he is bloodied, naked, shivering, and soaked in the freezing rain. He makes it to his feet, falls on his knees and cries out for Ahébbon–then, he loses consciousness. In his slumber-induced dreams, Ahébbon appears to him and grants him the power to unite Hedraèm against its enemies. When Ealdwulf awakens, he stands on the summit of the Weeping Mountain and laughs madly.

End of Kingdom of the Two Sons

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
Does your story take place from the POV of one of the Gods? You have provided a very detailed summary of the story- but can you make a brief synopsis (summarise your entire book in about 2-3 sentences)? You're asking for comments on your story plan, but I find myself overwhelmed with the information. An example of a synopsis, for the Lord of the Rings

"A young hobbit named Frodo Baggins finds a ring of power belonging to the Dark Lord, he must take it to Mt doom in the lands of mordor to destroy it, the fate of the world rests in his hands". That was pretty poor but you get the idea.

You've definitely thought this all through with the lore about the Gods and story certainly seems interesting, but until I know what the basic plot is I can't really give you an opinion, because it all just seems like a summary of a few scenes to me. Still, good work!

Last edited:

Artemadoris

Dreamer
Simplifying my plot has been a struggle for me. I always feel like the floodgates of ideas are open, but getting them organized and into a manageable summary is a problem for me.

The POV in the chronicle shifts between the gods of Éthor, Ealdwulf of Hedraèm (the forsaken kingdom), and Deorwyn of Virithum (the favored kingdom), the principle hero throughout the three books is Deorwyn.

The summary looks like this:

Ãœthorim—king of the gods of Éthor—falls victim to his pride when he tests his sons, Virithum and Hedraèm against the Abominations of Ahébbon after the formation of the world. The Sons of Ãœthorim are victorious, but for his valor, Virithum is favored over Hedraèm, and his descendants enjoy unrivaled prosperity throughout the ages while Hedraèm's struggle to survive, forgotten by their god. Ealdwulf—the heir to the Scattered Throne of Hedraèm—reaches a breaking point when the Kingdom of Virithum abandons his people during their fight to reunite the warring houses, and his father and brother are killed in battle. He then renounces Ãœthorim, allies with dark god Ahébbon, and wages war against Virithum. Only Deorwyn—a prince of Virithum, and Edrys—the banished sister of Ealdwulf can rally an army to stand against Ealdwulf, quell the malcontent of the Scattered Throne of Hedraèm and reunite the Kingdom of the Two Sons.

That's the gist of it.

There are subplots involved such as Ahébbon seducing Syyreth—the mate of Ãœthorim—and siring the god-beast, Fyrem to rain chaos on the world. Ahébbon yearns for the freedom he possessed before the gods came to Éthor and were subjugated by Ãœthorim; he views their forms and conceptions to be unnatural. There is a forbidden love story between Deorwyn of Virithum and Edrys of Hedraèm which is discovered by Ealdwulf who later banishes his sister for her love of the enemy. And finally, there is a volatile, jealousy laden love triangle of sorts between the gods Ãœthorim, Mersot, Tulvyr, and Syyreth.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There are two stories in your summary. One is backstory--the one about the king of the gods.

The real story is about Deorwyn and Edrys, who battle against Ealdwulf in order to reunite the Kingdom.

To my eyes, that's not too much information, it's too little. Are these two lovers? You say yes in the subplot, but for me, that's the main plot. Edrys is the one who faces the real challenge. Deorwyn is just another prince doing Brave Princely Things. He's doing what the plot calls for and faces no choices. Edrys has to decide between loyalty to her own family and her own realm, or to risk everything in the hope that she might win a greater victory.

For me -- and yes, I keep putting in that qualifier, because it's not my story -- the interest lies in real people making tough choices. If they are driven by epic events beyond their control and all they do is respond out of necessity, that can sometimes be enough, but not usually.

Artemadoris

Dreamer
I have struggled with how much emphasis to put on the gods—they are an important part of the story and their actions set in motion many of the conflicts of the main mortal characters. One solution I have entertained is putting the back story in a prologue to establish the gods,the ancestry, and the origin of the strife between the descendants of Virithum and Hedraem. Concerning Deorwyn, I am further developing the character and his motives. I have considered an internal struggle between Deorwyn and the powerful and politically influential priests of Virithum, whom after Uthorim smites the kingdom of Hedraem, seek to distance themselves from the bloodline of Hedraem, and thus convince Deorwyn's father to denounce his affair with Edrys. In the second book, Deorwyn is slain in front of Edrys at the Narrow of Ebor by her brother, Ealdwulf; Uthorim appears to Deorwyn in his dying dreams and offers him the choice of eternal bliss with his forefathers beside the Pinnacle Throne, but because Edrys's bloodline is shunned by Uthorim, he will not allow her to enter his paradise and join Deorwyn. Deorwyn begs to be turned away from paradise to return to Ethor and slay Ealdwald, reconcile the Kingdom of the Two Sons, and reunite with his love. Uthorim tells Deorwyn that if he refuses his reward of paradise now and fails in his returning task, he will not be accepted into paradise and will curse his bloodline with the same weakness as that of Hedraem.