• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time and a Comet

Mindfire

Istar
So, my universe's timeline is divided into major epochs called ages, each of which is given a descriptive appellation that references the age's most notable events. (E.g., the third age is called the Talon Age because it was the period of time when dragons had subjugated most of mankind. "Dragon Age" was taken.) The end of each age and the beginning of the new one is signaled by the appearance of a comet so bright it can be seen across the entire world. I'm a bit puzzled as to what this comet should be called. Any suggestions?

GeekDavid

Auror
The Harbinger

Or, if you prefer...

The Harbinger of Doom
The Harbinger of a New Age
The Harbinger of Change...

you get the idea. :)

Mindfire

Istar
Harbinger is good. Not sure why I didn't think of that before. I like it, but I'll keep accepting suggestions.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Harbinger is a good basis. I guess your alternative would be something more descriptive like "World Breaker," "The Border Stone of Time," "Godfire," or "Ash Maker." If it happens during the story, there's probably room for all of the above.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Worth noting: comets - or rather their tails - often have distinctive appearances: sword, feather, something like that. So give your comet, whatever its name a distinctive appearance to set it apart from the rest.

Mindfire

Istar
Worth noting: comets - or rather their tails - often have distinctive appearances: sword, feather, something like that. So give your comet, whatever its name a distinctive appearance to set it apart from the rest.

That would be a great suggestion! ...If this particular comet weren't also the only comet in the entire universe. :D

Of course, very little about my world is written in stone. But as of now, it's the only comet in existence.

GeekDavid

Auror
That would be a great suggestion! ...If this particular comet weren't also the only comet in the entire universe. :D

Of course, very little about my world is written in stone. But as of now, it's the only comet in existence.

Don't write yourself into a corner... you might want a second comet sometime.

Edankyn

Minstrel
For myself, I would look at the governing principle of the comet in order to come up with a name. Is there a scientific reason the comet marks each age (eg. its orbit crosses that of your planet every XXX years or so), is there a divine explanation (eg. does some god control the passage of the ages), or is there some other explanation (eg. magic). If there is a scientific reason you could name it after the scientist who originally discovered it, name it after the god, or name it after some principle of magic that controls it. I also like harbinger, but those would be some alternative methods.

Mindfire

Istar
For myself, I would look at the governing principle of the comet in order to come up with a name. Is there a scientific reason the comet marks each age (eg. its orbit crosses that of your planet every XXX years or so), is there a divine explanation (eg. does some god control the passage of the ages), or is there some other explanation (eg. magic). If there is a scientific reason you could name it after the scientist who originally discovered it, name it after the god, or name it after some principle of magic that controls it. I also like harbinger, but those would be some alternative methods.

There's a difference of opinion in-universe as to whether it's divine or there's a scientific explanation. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the supernatural cause. For one thing, I'm pretty sure, though it's not carved in stone, that this is a "flat earth" universe. So things like "orbits" are irrelevant. Also, the Ages aren't all necessarily the same length. The comet shows up at momentous events and major turning points in history, not just after some number of years has passed. And I don't think you could scientifically explain an "orbit" being that inconsistent and coincidental.