1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Timeline / Posting Issues

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

We've had some issues arise lately about multiple timelines going on, and the confusion that raises as well as the fact that actions of some players may overlap intended actions of other players. It has been an issue before, but has been made worse by my busy work schedule the past few weeks because the game hasn't moved forward as much as it could have.

Here are my thoughts on addressing this:

1) No more alternate timelines unless absolutely necessary;

2) If you do get into an alternate timeline, we may handle it separately from the main thread, but if any other characters are impacted by what you're doing, then we're going to make sure not to get ahead of the other timeline; and

3) If you have planned actions and don't want the timeline to pass you by, be sure to post once per day if you can (excepting vacations and other such absences - which you can let us know about). I'm not going to hold the game up because we're waiting for one person and we don't want to have others jump ahead in the timeline. This rule doesn't apply if I haven't posted yet, but all of the projects I'm working on now are going to converge on October 29, and after that date I am going to try to get back to one post per day minimum that wraps up all of the outstanding action in the thread. I'll try to do the same between now and then.

Thoughts?

2. Nihal

Nihal Vala

We could have alternate timelines as long it's done carefully. They're specially useful when the game is stalled for some character... again, as long it's done carefully. In fact, given what happened I dare to say that posting once a day and avoiding alternate timelines wouldn't solve the issue: The timeline was synchronized for all the players at the start of that day and off by (RP-relevant) hours in the end. Things just happened.

I try to watch myself and not push the game ahead on my end when I'm aware that my character's actions will affect someone's else soon. I consider it a good use of our omniscience as players. Most moments when the timeline is prone to desynchronization are actually are easy to catch, as when one character needs to move from the point A to B. Moving takes time: Desync alert.