• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

To All Artists, Which Software do you Prefer?

Addison

Auror
I'm taking a digital art class this semester and we'll be doing art with three different softwares: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. I assume that for actual drawing I'll be using a tablet or something. So which software is better for a beginner?

Nihal

Vala
Each one of these softwares is best suited for one different task. I use Illustrator for my vectors and logos, InDesign for layouts (cards, books and anything that will become a pdf), Photoshop being my wild card. It's also the software I use to paint (but not the only one).

Honestly, I don't know if Illustrator or InDesign are harder to learn than Photoshop. I've been playing with Photoshop for so long that any similar interface feels intuitive for me. Illustrator and InDesign were too, but not that much.

Now, about painting... it's not only the software (or the tablet), drawing skills will have an heavy weight anyway. First, if you're not used yet to tablets you'll have to get used to it. Drawing without looking at the drawing is odd at first, and the lack of friction is weird as well. You have also to try to figure if you're a "manual opacity" or a "pressure opacity" person.

Some artists—the most of them—like to regulate the opacity of the brush manually, setting it to 10%, 50%, 100% etc through the menu. Other artists like to rely on the pressure detection of the tablet. There is no best way, only the way that is more comfortable for you.

Back to softwares:

For painting I use a software called Paint Tool SAI besides Photoshop. It's light, cheap and blend the colors in a way PS just can't, besides having other features. However, it also got simpler brushes texture support and 10000px canvas size limit. I usually use it until it runs out of RAM (or I don't need print-size stuff yet), jumping to the PS when I need some more serious textured brush work and general tweaks.

I first switched to SAI because the color picker from PS was driving me crazy (but not only this). It was restrictive and awkward; I needed something more comfortable and with a better shape and colors disposition. Now there is a solution, a plugin I always recommend to everyone: LENWHITE . COM

Also, another good tip related to Adobe is to check out if they're still handing free CS2 copies. Yes, you did read it right. All you had to do was to register at their site.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't do much except for maps for RPGs, mockups of covers for ebooks, and the odd web graphic. I like GIMP (and it's free!).