• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Too many errors in Word

Filk

Troubadour
I am using Microsoft Word 2002 edition and I just received the message that there are too many errors in my document. Does anyone here know how to fix this problem? I still have the green grammatical errors, but the red squiggly lines have disappeared on me.

Filk

Troubadour
Sorry to bother you all. I clicked 'ignore all' on several of the main characters' names and found a box to uncheck in the tools/options/spelling and grammar tab. With all of my typos, that could have been a disaster!

Filk

Troubadour
Nope. I'm a stubborn caveman. You can take your facebooks and tweets and shove 'em hehe.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Yeah it can be that each of your cities, names and races is upsetting Word. DO a quick spellcheck for the document and either add those words to your dictionary or click Ignore All. Then you'll go back to red lines under just misspelled words. The green ones can indicate either grammar or passive writing (depending on how you set it up). Those you can also choose to ignore, but clicking Ignore Rule, or Ignore Once.

Hi,

I'm on Word 2000 and have encountered the very same problem. Adding names and so forth to the dictionary did not help in my case even though that was hundreds of 'errors'. But what did help was that even though the document will not automatically refresh its errors, you can manually get it to do a check and then work with that.

Cheers, Greg.

SeverinR

Vala
I don't think word 2007/2010 have limits on errors.
But they are so many differences in how to use them, I understand the reluctance.
But with the changes, they have things that make writing so much easier.
My fav, a table of contents that will take you to the item clicked on.

Addison

Auror
Microsoft word is programmed to find grammar errors like it's the worst, as in nit-picky, english professor. Whenever a green squiggle appears on my work, which isn't that rare, I read the line before the squiggled line, the squiggled line, and the line after. If it sounds right I keep it. Microsoft is not an agent or publisher or editor. It doesn't take tone and narration into account. So look at green squiggles as a suggestion.