• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Traditional spellings Anglophones get wrong (at least in the US)

Subcreator

Minstrel
I have a pretty specific question, but this could also apply to any word that comes into English from another language. I am writing a contemporary/urban fantasy about the fae. The main character is a moderately well-read young woman who discovers that a fae tribe lives below the streets of Boston. I say that she is well-read, especially in medieval romances, because she knows enough to recognize that the word sidhe.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the word means "mound" with the sense of that being where the fae live. My question is this: when those who do not know Irish orthography see it, they would likely pronounce is sid, or even sid.he, when it should be shee

For those who know IPA: (/sɪd/, or even /sɪd.he/, when it should be pronounced /ʃiː/)

Now to my question: Would it be better to go with the traditional spelling (in this case, sidhe) or use a spelling that readers would be more likely to pronounce correctly, like shee?

Xaysai

Inkling
I have a pretty specific question, but this could also apply to any word that comes into English from another language. I am writing a contemporary/urban fantasy about the fae. The main character is a moderately well-read young woman who discovers that a fae tribe lives below the streets of Boston. I say that she is well-read, especially in medieval romances, because she knows enough to recognize that the word sidhe.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the word means "mound" with the sense of that being where the fae live. My question is this: when those who do not know Irish orthography see it, they would likely pronounce is sid, or even sid.he, when it should be shee

For those who know IPA: (/sɪd/, or even /sɪd.he/, when it should be pronounced /ʃiː/)

Now to my question: Would it be better to go with the traditional spelling (in this case, sidhe) or use a spelling that readers would be more likely to pronounce correctly, like shee?

I'm not an expert, but I actually think that Sidhe is a common enough fantasy term that people who read fantasy will be able to understand without changing it.

With that being said, I've always pronounced it "Sidee" in my head and I'm not sure I can change that now!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Use the traditional spelling. A lot of fantasy readers know the pronunciation because it is so widely used. Many that don't still recognize the word. I can't think of a good reason to go with "shee" to be honest. If you are overly concerned indicate the pronunciation in the work.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm not an expert, but I actually think that Sidhe is a common enough fantasy term that people who read fantasy will be able to understand without changing it.

With that being said, I've always pronounced it "Sidee" in my head and I'm not sure I can change that now!

I first encountered it in a book probably around junior high, but the author helpfully provided the pronunciation.

JCFarnham

Auror
I've always looked up words I don't understand. That's my obsession, you see. If I can't understand something I get a little annoyed.

Plus, you can never know too many words :) A good vocabulary is always a good thing.

Xaysai

Inkling
I first encountered it in a book probably around junior high, but the author helpfully provided the pronunciation.

I first encountered it years ago in the Dresden Files.

I'm sure Butcher included a pronunciation somewhere, I was just too lazy to read it : )

Chilari

Staff
It's a word I recognise but didn't know how to pronounce (I prounced it seed in my head). I suspect there would be others in the same situation, so I'd have thought it would be better to use the correct spelling and let people recognise it rather than worry that they're pronouncing it right in their heads.

Jess A

Archmage
I would prefer the traditional spelling of sidhe. I know the pronunciation but even if I came across your story and didn't know, it wouldn't detract from my reading experience. As Steerpike mentioned, some authors add a pronunciation guide in their book - just an additional few pages for those who are curious.