• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Transcending Our Own Limitations

mirrorrorrim

Minstrel
Do you ever start to write something, but find yourself held back by your own limitations? If you do, then what do you do to move past these?

For example, at an early point in my current work, a psychologist plays a pivotal role. I spent weeks trying to write his character without success. No matter how hard I tried, or how many different ways I tried to write his scenes, everything came across as flat, one-dimensional, and amatuerish. Eventually, in desperation to try to find the right kind of voice and attitude for my character, I turned to a book on clinical psychology techniques and approaches.

At first, the book seemed to confirm all my notions of what was wrong with psychology–the author seemed like an over-confident narcissist who viewed himself as more clever, more talented, more worthwhile than the people he treated; I became disheartened, thinking that there was nothing I could learn from the book, and lamented my wasted investment.

Something kept me reading, though, and as I continued to read on, I began to see a different kind of person. I could tell that the author really cared about his patients, and was often as frustrated by the limitations of his technique and his profession as any of them were, and often much moreso. He was self-confident at times, it was true, but at others he could be quite self-critical. And, though I have no ambitions to enter into psychology, I found that many of his suggestions were clever, and could have useful applications even in my everyday life.

When I went back to re-read the earlier sections, I was surprised to find no trace of the negative stereotypical attributes I had at first attributed to the author.

Somehow, I had superimposed them onto his words, creating things that had never been there. I had taken my own biases against authority figures in general, and therapist types in particular, and allowed those prejudices to completely overshadow my reading. The worst part about it was that I hadn't even realized I was doing it. I went back to my earlier writing, and saw I had done the very same thing in my writing. The reason my words seemed one-dimensional is because that's just what they were–I had super-imposed everything I hated about therapists and crammed them inside my written character until everything he said or did felt stiff, caricatured, and unnatural.

With this realization, I feel I can make the necessary changes and move forward in my tale. The experience has made me wonder, though, how many of my other personal defects inhibit my ability to express myself sincerely as a writer, and how I can deal with these, especially when I can't even see them!

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to overcome our own limitations in our writing?

Thanks!

:)

Aegrus

Scribe
Yes, I am often struck by my own limitations. Whenever it happens, I promptly strike my limitations back down. :)

Aah. . . I wish it were that simple. No, I am often reminded of my weaknesses. Sadly, I'm still battling them. I'll let you know if I work anything out, but right now, it seems like the best medicine is simply hard work and tons of practice.

One thing that may help: I find that I work better when I'm relaxed. It takes energy to write well and experiment, after all.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Too many people don't know or observe people who are different from themselves, and I think that's the biggest cause of bias and stereotypes. It seeps into our writing and into the way we communicate with others. I feel our limitations are set by the people we interact with.

For me it seems to be world building is my weakness. Not good for a fantasy and science fiction writer. I haven't found a good way to overcome this yet.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

meylaran

Acolyte
I have three stories that I have begun, but seem to have fizzled out after several chapters. I find myself jazzed about the story when I start, but then something happens and I lose that. I doubt the story is good enough, I doubt that I've thought it through enough or done enough research. Self-doubt seems to be my limitation. I haven't found a good way over this yet, but I keep putting my fingers to the keys and hoping that will remedy it! ;)