• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Travel time tool

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Thx, Ban. While I have a number of criticisms to make, the generator does show that traveling by horse (at a walk) is not much faster than a human walking. A good many writers seem to think that if we just put everyone on horseback we'll all get there ever so much quicker.

All these resources are a great help in framing parameters. There's not a single, correct answer to the question of how fast or how long will it take, but with enough research you can get a pretty good idea of the boundary conditions.

Reactions: Ban

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Going at around 6 kph without stopping, it would take a Human around 18 hours to cover 200 kilometers.
This is the equivalent of 0.8 days.
With 6 hours of sleep a day, the trip would last about 23 hours (5 hours of sleep in total).
This is approximately 1 days.
Something's not quite right here...

:p

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I must admit I didn't check it a lot. The functionality may depend.

It's a good generator site though.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It's cool stuff, and it probably does get the basics right. More likely there's just something wonky with the tool :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I noticed that too. In the comments. I think he's got the math right but the words are wrong. Day instead of hour, e.g.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I ran it a few times to check. The tool seems to get a little wonky when you go over 100 km, but it should still be usable with a little careful reading.

Going at around 6 kph without stopping, it would take a Human around 7 hours to cover 80 kilometers.
This is the equivalent of 0.3 days.
The journey is short enough to complete without sleeping.

And now it made me feel bad. Took me about 20 hours :p
It's accurate though, someone could walk that distance in 7 hours although it would be a good pace.

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I think the maths for the actual travel time may need a look over, but that's easy enough to do manually.

What's interesting though, and which I didn't think about at first, is the delays that are generated. That stuff doesn't show up in a regular calculation for time, distance, and velocity. Adding in a few hours of back tracking or delays is a neat feature. :)

Reactions: Ban

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
What's interesting though, and which I didn't think about at first, is the delays that are generated. That stuff doesn't show up in a regular calculation for time, distance, and velocity. Adding in a few hours of back tracking or delays is a neat feature. :)
That may be the most useful bit of it. the Journey times are a bit too perfect for me, but the total time [including delays] looks a lot more reasonable. But If I was subject to EPIC delays I might just say Sod it" and my characters do something else. Having a walk take from 15 hours up to 5,124 hours might strain my characters resolve.