• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tree House City, Society

One of the more fantastic settings in my "Giant's World" is a city, or maybe the whole country built as tree houses. As this is one of the most interesting places I want to do more scenes here. So, Time to flesh it out some more!

I don't know if this is a Forest, Rain Forest, or Jungle. Jungle is more rare in fantasy, and would be warmer, which might make a whole city living in trees more viable. There are giants (turned to stone) trapped deep underground. They live off the surface either to avoid the influense of the giants, or to avoid giant animals.

The people, the magic users specifically, are based on Japanese Tengu. Martial artists with telepathic abilities. So, these guys right now are Asian... but if the setting is a jungle maybe this can change. (obviously these guys were designed before the Tree City idea, so this might have to be replaced with Different magic users.)

In the defense of treetop martial artists: all the buildings are small spaces, so all combat is close quarters combat. there isn't enough space to draw you weapon. Furthermore, any kind of blacksmithing would be rare in a treetop city. I does make sense that they would develop weaponless fighting. The Tengu's main magic power is telepathy and remote viewing - both would help navigate the dense wilderness and communicate messages back to the city.

Another idea for magic is shapeshifting to avoid the giant/magic animals. This could be the main magic, or the "bad" magic that comes from the giants. an additional threat that live in the wilderness.

There are no roads, or very few. Supplies would be delivered by pack animals.

WooHooMan

Auror
I got some guys who live in trees. I used jungles as opposed to traditional forests, I just found that jungles had a little more variety in terms of the flora and fauna.

One problem I had was deciding on where they get their food. Farming would be pretty limited since there's no ground and it doesn't seem like there would be many big animals to hunt. And the lack of mining would mean they'd be limited on resources to trade (my guys are isolated but it's still something to think about).
So, did you get around to deciding how your people's economy worked?

Saigonnus

Auror
One of the principal cultures in my WIP live in a city, Ash at the Ford comprised of 32 massive trees grown in concentric rings and interconnected by ramps and bridges. Since the denizens of the culture use magic in their everyday life, they can alter the city (trees) as they see fit by simply "growing" what they need. If; for example, they need a new school room, they simply "grow" it from the center of a tree, like a chamber build directly into the trunk; with massive pillar to house the "blood vessels" of the tree so it doesn't lack in nutrients or water. Broad ramps and avenues wrap around all of the trees, giving access to all of the chambers a tree has, some of these ramp going all the way down to ground level, where they grow crops and raise their livestock.

Most of the furnishings and weaponry is typically grown also, and it is some of the first things "magic-users" among the culture learns in school. Need a new table... grow one. Need a new staff for weapons' practice, same thing. Need a wooden amulet to make a charm, go for it. I think you get the picture.

They are aloof and very territorial; rarely letting more than merchants in; and those with special passes. They trade in charms and seedlings with all the other cultures and most refer to them as Druids; due to their tendency of tending their trees and "frolicking" in their wilderness. They are far more than that though, they are some of the most talented magic users in the world; even to the point that their warriors can master simple magical talents.

Their internal economy is like a commune, where everyone gets a "ration" of whatever foodstuffs are produced in bulk and the rest they have to grow themselves since most have indoor herb gardens. Externally, when they trade it is most often for livestock or seeds; since their magic gives them access to all the raw ores or crystalline goods they could need or want by pulling it out of the ground; not that they use much metal for their everyday lives. They breed horses, but rarely ride them, they are not service animals; but companions.

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas. Inspires the imagination. :)

WooHooMan

Auror
My tree guys are generally against killing plants so building furniture and structures is out of the question. however, them using magic to change the shape of the trees to create better living conditions is a good idea.
So, thanks, Saigonnus, that does help.
Doesn't exactly solve the food problem but I'll figure something out.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
If they live in a forest/jungle then their farming and hunting could well be three dimensional. Forests often have active even most active ecosystems at their crown than they do on the ground between the trees. The top is where all the light is... and there will always be a few clearings in any forest or jungle because trees have died, natural fires, too wet, too dry etc...

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
The back story of my series has a culture of tree dwelling early humans that started in the Congo and migrated north.

Originally, their houses were what I call nests, more like weaver bird nests, accessed by rope ladders. Their villages were always near the river and their economy was based primarily on fishing and trade.

They had coracle like boats and some large log canoes near the mouth of the Congo River for ocean fishing. They were a musical, peace loving people that weaved nets and baskets. The trees were sacred to them and they tried to take care of them and use them judiciously.

I looked up some Meso-american farming techniques they seem to get by alright. in addition, They could experiment with hydroponics to make floating gardens.

Chocolate and vanilla came from the jungles of South America right? Cash Crop for trading right there.

WooHooMan

Auror
I looked up some Meso-american farming techniques they seem to get by alright. in addition, They could experiment with hydroponics to make floating gardens.

Chocolate and vanilla came from the jungles of South America right? Cash Crop for trading right there.

Vanilla would probably work for my guys - good suggestion. However, my guys don't touch the ground so thy can't really grow chocolate. Hydrophonics are also out of the question. I think I'll have to make-up some special crop.
Their general economic model is still pretty iffy but I'll just have to make it so no story I do goes into great detail over it.

When you talk about living and fighting in trees, I thought about a scene in House of flying daggers, where a bunch of guys are hopping from giant bamboo to giant bamboo, all the while chucking bamboo spears they had cut off at an angle. So bamboo could be an easily accessible source of weaponry. You can even have them use their powers to launch the things.

SeverinR

Vala
There is usually a reason to live off the ground, commonly strong or vicious ground preditors, as a defense against attackers, or the ground is not supportive of life, such as swamp, or ground insect problems(but why wouldn't insects just climb trees?)
Problem being the tree can be chopped down if there is no one to prevent it. So they must have good missle weapons and/or traps to prevent it.

I can see a town, maybe a city, but a whole country? Country usually involves a changing of terrain. If trees aren't as plentiful then a tree city wouldn't be possible. If it is a comple jungle country it might work. Some areas, even if a jungle might be better with a solid ground castle or mansion with a wall, rather then building everything in the trees.
I have a tree town on a back burner, I have a couple lowerable ramps for the injured or elderly to walk up rather then be having to rely on ladders or be hoisted up. The ramps would not be down all the time, because the ground preditors could walk up them as well.
MY town all ladders can be pulled up, so no one on the ground can get into the town without assistance during conflicts or at night. The occupants would be adept in moving around the trees, since they have to repair their homes. Kids would be encouraged to climb to get use to and be comfortable doing so.

Limited space would keep the occupants focused on thrusting weapons rather then hacking weapons. No room to swing a long sword, but you always have room to poke someone with a bladed short spear(not the long spear), a knife, also they would need to be good at a missle weapon. Spear, crossbow, bow, even rocks(rocks thrown from 12-20 ft above ground can really hurt, they would need to practice to be good, the height throws off your aim. (The rock only travels so far out before it goes down.) {Large rocks can be dropped on attackers below with good accuracy.}
The ninja claws would be exceptional to help climb trees(both hand and foot) but would also be a weapon when they needed to attack. Those that used these would be very good with them. (line men today use the spiked boots) These would help in construction of new, repair of old, and could get a force down to the ground to attack ground forces.

Saigonnus

Auror
My tree guys are generally against killing plants so building furniture and structures is out of the question. however, them using magic to change the shape of the trees to create better living conditions is a good idea.
So, thanks, Saigonnus, that does help.
Doesn't exactly solve the food problem but I'll figure something out.

Perhaps an idea is that the tree themselves provide at least some food; a giant apple tree or whatever. Indoor gardens might be another option as well. It wouldn't be that difficult to have them compost all of their organic waste (food scraps, fallen leaves and whatnot); which can be turned to soil simply by adding worms. That way, each home could have a small garden which provides at least some of what they need.

Perhaps they send out foragers as well (like their "elite warriors") to find resources nearby, or raise small game (like rabbits or birds) in their homes; which they eat. They don't take up much space realistically and are at least A source of protein.

If they are magical in nature, it wouldn't be that far a stretch that they also grow lichen or fungi to eat; perhaps on the bark of the trees themselves. If they; like the Talutah Ooljee, can change the shape of the trees, perhaps they simply form a network of branches that intertwine and give enough area for small community gardens. Maybe even enough room for goats. Goats in trees in an odd idea truthfully. :p

I was just reminded of an idea reading Saigonnus Post. Bug farms. All you need is a small box and some leaves. They could have them in every home, or just one large dedicated bug farm.

Plantanes are a good source of starch and although the stem carrying the cluster of bananas is cut down, that's done to allow a new one to grow. So the plant is never killed, it keeps giving and in time it will even sprouts several stems at once.