• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trouble with other genres

I'm always used to writing fantasy tales and that will always be the bread and butter of what I make. But even so, I like to experiment every now and then. Problem is, whenever I do, I seem to have trouble once I'm about to finish what I'm writing in a new genre. I know that writer's block exists, but this feels like writer's block that has twice the power.

I've started to think that a lot of the times I get inspiration for stories, it's from reading novels in the genre. I would guess that since I'm usually reading fantasy, I have trouble finishing stories that are not in that genre. But what do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I know that writer's block exists, but this feels like writer's block that has twice the power.
Not everyone thinks this is true. Some say that writer's block is born from a fear of not being able to write eloquently. In this specific case, it could be a fear of not writing eloquently because you don't have enough experience in the genre.

I've started to think that a lot of the times I get inspiration for stories, it's from reading novels in the genre. I would guess that since I'm usually reading fantasy, I have trouble finishing stories that are not in that genre.
This makes sense to me. Like many tasks, we often learn best by building off the work of those that have gone before us. With literature, reading mysteries or thrillers, emulating our favorite authors, studying what they did well, and working that all into a style of our own...these are important ingredients in the recipe.

Personally, I'm a believer in reading widely across genres, for a number of reasons. There's something to be learned from all. Your fantasy novel might have elements of a thriller, or a mystery, and let's not forget romance. Point being, exposure to varying methods of storytelling can only improve your writer's mind and abilities.

Last edited:
I've started to think that a lot of the times I get inspiration for stories, it's from reading novels in the genre. I would guess that since I'm usually reading fantasy, I have trouble finishing stories that are not in that genre. But what do you guys think?

Like TAS, I think this makes sense. Many things about a story are easier first to 'grok' or experience before conscious understanding; i.e., the feel for a story, the way stories progress, the sort of scenes used and where they are used, types of character and character interaction.

It's also possible that you may be experiencing the disappearance of the freedom that speculative fiction offers. For instance, there's an ongoing topic of using glass or diamond for swords, and this is extremely unrealistic until you factor in magic; but, introducing magic as an option opens up a myriad of possibilities. Many other genres don't have the same kind of flexibility.